Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 06:36 PM

68 posts, read 272,270 times

Advertisements

I have been on this site since November and looking for a great place to live within 30 minutes of Sanford, where my husband will be working. I currently live in southern NJ in a small town close to lots of shopping, friendly people and lots of traffic that I am used to. Anyway I am currently looking in the cary, apex, holly springs area, but just recently looked into pittsboro. Everthing I have read is wonderful -- I am just looking for more information. Is there anyone out there that can tell me more about this town, it's schools, shopping and how welcoming they are to new jersey families. We have 2 girls and one will be in second grade next year. I would love any feedback about the town. I would love a home about 3200-3600 square feet, trees in and around the neighborhood, plenty of children and friendly families. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 07:24 PM

823 posts, read 3,921,565 times
There's a charter school in Northern Chatham county that has very good test schools and seems quite good, The Woods Charter School. Woods is building a new school, which will open in 2008 and double their enrollment. Pittsboro is the county seat of Chatham County. It is an old county, primarily agricultural until recently. It has grown because of its proximity to Chapel Hill and the Triangle. In the 70's and 80's it was a popular desination for homesteading types from Chapel Hill. The community college has a unique sustainable agriculture program. The western part of the county has Siler City, which has seen a huge influx of Mexicans, mainly for the poultry processing jobs there. There is a tremendous amount of new residential construction around Pittsboro. I think people are moving there for more house for their money and/or larger lots or a small town feel or proximity to Chapel Hill. There is a new Weaver St. Cooperative Market (community health food store) built in an old mill on the edge of Pittsboro.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:54 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
^ Yeah, what she said.

They have a very charming downtown/business district....with some cute shops and B&B's in town. A short drive to the Triangle....not far from the NC Zoo either.

As small towns go, Pittsboro has a ton going for it.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:55 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
There's a charter school in Northern Chatham county that has very good test schools and seems quite good, The Woods Charter School. Woods is building a new school, which will open in 2008 and double their enrollment. Pittsboro is the county seat of Chatham County. It is an old county, primarily agricultural until recently. It has grown because of its proximity to Chapel Hill and the Triangle. In the 70's and 80's it was a popular desination for homesteading types from Chapel Hill. The community college has a unique sustainable agriculture program. The western part of the county has Siler City, which has seen a huge influx of Mexicans, mainly for the poultry processing jobs there. There is a tremendous amount of new residential construction around Pittsboro. I think people are moving there for more house for their money and/or larger lots or a small town feel or proximity to Chapel Hill. There is a new Weaver St. Cooperative Market (community health food store) built in an old mill on the edge of Pittsboro.
I think you are mistaken about Weaver Street Market.

There are currently only 2 locations, the original at Carr Mill in Carrboro and the smaller store in Southern Village.

Ground has been broken for the 3rd store which will open this year in Hillsborough....

Old 01-12-2007, 09:55 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colby1911 View Post
I have been on this site since November and looking for a great place to live within 30 minutes of Sanford, where my husband will be working. I currently live in southern NJ in a small town close to lots of shopping, friendly people and lots of traffic that I am used to. Anyway I am currently looking in the cary, apex, holly springs area, but just recently looked into pittsboro. Everthing I have read is wonderful -- I am just looking for more information. Is there anyone out there that can tell me more about this town, it's schools, shopping and how welcoming they are to new jersey families. We have 2 girls and one will be in second grade next year. I would love any feedback about the town. I would love a home about 3200-3600 square feet, trees in and around the neighborhood, plenty of children and friendly families. Thank you in advance.
Make sure you have a job before you move down there. The new guy where I work lives there (grew up there, recently came back after a stint in the Navy) and he's having to drive an hour each way to get a decent job, and this is a man with an MBA and military background.

I hear it's nice...but the jobs aren't really close to it.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:11 AM

68 posts, read 272,270 times
Default desdemona123...

My husband already has the job in sanford--that's why we thought Pittsboro wouldn't be a bad choice. I'm just wondering what it's like living there compared to the apex or holly springs area. I live in a small town in nj now but shopping is EVERYWHERE... 5 minutes in any direction. THanks for all your input everyone!

Old 01-13-2007, 10:14 AM

223 posts, read 1,065,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colby1911 View Post
My husband already has the job in sanford--that's why we thought Pittsboro wouldn't be a bad choice. I'm just wondering what it's like living there compared to the apex or holly springs area. I live in a small town in nj now but shopping is EVERYWHERE... 5 minutes in any direction. THanks for all your input everyone!

Colby,
From everything that you have described in prior postings and pm's, you will NOT find what you seek in Pittsboro. It is a VERY small town, and nothing like the Cary/Apex area. Now for some that is a good thing, but again from what you seem to be seeking, it is not. It would however meet your husband's driving restriction for "on call" at CCH in Sanford. (About a 20 min drive tops!)

As far as shopping goes, there is a small Food Lion in Pittsboro, a new Harris Teter 15 mins. up the road in Chapel Hill and the places in Sanford. There is a small mall in Chapel Hill, and Streets of Southpoint in Durham, or the Cary area would provide more options, but further away, by about 30 mins. The co-op in Pittsboro is not Weaver St., it's the Chatham Market, about 1/4 the size of Weaver St. in CarrMill. Chatham county is a very rural county, and unless you go up closer to Chapel Hill (which will negate the driving benefit for your husband), you will not find the housing you seek. As far as the "charming" downtown that I read about (lol), it consists of 2 blocks of "antique" shops and odds and ends. If you have been to downtown Sanford, just picture 2 blocks of that and you've got downtown Pittsboro, but toss in a small courthouse with a round-about. Sanford is big and bustling by comparison.... imagine that! You really should spend some time not just driving, but getting out and walking through the towns to get a feel for them.

The charter school would be your best option as the other Chatham public schools in Pittsboro do not have a very good reputation, and there are few other choices. (By the way, that's how the Charter school got started, it began as a private school a dozen years ago by parents dissatisfied with the local school system.) There is a growing Hispanic population throughout Chatham and Lee counties, and not isolated to one particular area or town.

With all due respect Colby, from your posts it seems that y'all want the job in Sanford, but want to avoid living here if at all possible. Has your husband looked into the hospitals in Wake county so you could live in the Cary area? Another option is First Health/Moore Regional in Pinehurst, a top-notch facility growing by leaps and bounds. Pinehurst and Southern Pines are beautiful with good shopping and restaurants, and not just a resort area anymore.
Finally, if you have such an aversion to living in Sanford, it hardly seems fair for your husband to take the position when there might be someone else who would want not only the job but also the opportunity to become a part of the whole community and put down roots with their family. Many people in the medical community have done so and are happy here and if you gave it a chance maybe you would be too. Good luck!

Last edited by MariGirl; 01-13-2007 at 10:36 AM..

Old 01-13-2007, 12:24 PM

54 posts, read 358,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariGirl View Post
Finally, if you have such an aversion to living in Sanford, it hardly seems fair for your husband to take the position when there might be someone else who would want not only the job but also the opportunity to become a part of the whole community and put down roots with their family. Many people in the medical community have done so and are happy here and if you gave it a chance maybe you would be too.

Oh, snap! Please tell me everyone there is not so judgemental.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:43 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Toes View Post
I didn't read that as a judgmental statement at all. One nice thing about the Triangle, at least relative to where I've lived before, is that people tend to become more engaged in their communities -- and not just through donating money to United Way or other causes, but through active volunteer efforts in their neighborhoods. I've seen more of that in a couple of years in Durham than I saw in ten years outside of Boston.

Having lots of smaller communities instead of one "mega-metro" is one unique thing about the Triangle, and one of the special things about living here!

Old 01-13-2007, 02:07 PM

223 posts, read 1,065,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Toes View Post

Oh let's hope not...gee..that would be awful! But I don't think Colby needs to worry about that b/c it sounds like she has already "judged" Sanford unsuitable before giving it a real chance.
My point was not to judge but to try and convince her to be a bit more open-minded about Sanford. The desires she expresses for her family (quality of life, nice home, good schools, etc) are not unique, and have been found by many who have relocated here from out of state with their families. Also, from prior posts and pm's, Pittsboro would not meet her criteria.
It may be judgemental, but the reality is that in a smaller town like ours, medical professionals who actually live here and become part of the fabric of the community are much more appreciated and highly regarded than those who don't. (And the majority of them do by the way.) If her husband is a doctor, the long hours will keep him away from the family alot anyway, so why add extra stress with a commute? If he is in upper administration at the hospital, he would have better knowledge of the needs of the community if he is involved in it other than just during work hours. Certainly people have the right to live wherever they choose, but people come to this forum to learn more about an area and I try to share my years of experience and knowledge, and not just spew facts or "best of" list results. It is going to be an adjustment no matter where you go, and the more information the better.
Guess we all judge things/people in one way or another. Looks like you made a judgement about Sanford and me from my post, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary