Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:56 AM

49 posts, read 152,126 times

Advertisements

Clayton offers many professional local jobs--the biotech industry is big in Clayton, so big that the Town built a Workforce Dev Center for the biotech industry. Talecris (formerly known as Bayer), Caterpillar and Novo Nordisk all have large plants in Clayton. Ashley Furniture just opened a huge sales and distribution center and other large companies are looking to set up shop in Clayton.

The best eats in Clayton are the locally owned, independent restaurants including Mulberry On Main, Clayton Steakhouse and Oaxaca.

Could you get more in a big city? Sure, but you'd be living in a big city. Depends what you are looking for--what is most important to you. Me, I like living here. If I want more I can go into Raleigh--and as I've posted before the drive from Clayton to downtown Raleigh is shorter than the old commute I made from the north end of Raleigh to downtown Raleigh. You will find you have to drive wherever you choose to live--I'd rather get on a highway and get a straight shot to the heart of Raleigh (or Durham, Cary for that matter) than drive through the aggravation of congested city streets, with traffic lights and streetside parking which turns a 2 lane road into a 1 lane road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 12:51 PM

615 posts, read 1,503,519 times
Our drive from Extreme SouthWest Clayton to Raleigh(4 houses down is Garner..LOL) is 24 minutes.(Yes, we timed it). Taking Route 40 from 40/42

Old 06-29-2008, 07:58 AM

57 posts, read 145,174 times
Hello to all and thanks again for all the info. We are also being told to give the Cleveland area a peek but can't find it or any subdivision to look for.
Forgive the ignorance please.
Does anyone have zip codes or subdivision that would be of interest?
Thanks in advance!

Old 06-29-2008, 08:13 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coocarooch View Post
Hello to all and thanks again for all the info. We are also being told to give the Cleveland area a peek but can't find it or any subdivision to look for.
Forgive the ignorance please.
Does anyone have zip codes or subdivision that would be of interest?
Thanks in advance!
The Cleveland area is West Clayton, also known as the 40/42 area as that is where 40 and 42 intersect. We looked there as well but ended up in East Clayton (Archer Lodge)...there are advantages and disadvantages to both areas depending on your wants/needs. I just posted a brief summary on CD recently.

Anyhow, I think its Summerlyn S/D that many of the folks here raved about in that area. There are many S/D's south of 42...it is very rural the farther you go (and beautiful) however your commute increases.

Best bet is to do a clayton home search in your price range and with the options you want (lot size) and see what homes come up and check the SD they are in on the map.

Where we live the zip code for Clayton is 27527 but other areas handle the mail as well so our zip is 27591, even tho' the map says its Wendell and directly west of Raleigh...it isn't since we're really in Clayton. Selma and Zebulon also handle the mail in the outskirts of the Archer Lodge area...not sure what those zips are. Basic Clayton zip is 27520 but the 40/42 area is also considered Garner. Hang on...let me see if I can find a zip code map..

Oh cool...here's a free map; The Most Accurate Free USPS Zip Code Map Anywhere!

You can see all the surrounding zip codes to an area!
Lauren

Old 06-29-2008, 10:43 AM

214 posts, read 701,920 times
Summerlyn is off Glen Laurel Road on the east side of Clayton. People seem to like the Broadmoor subdivision and Hunters Mill is another. Another suggestion to find this area (it can have a Clayton or Garner address but I believe most of this section is in Johnston County). Try searching by schools- Polenta, Cleveland, Westview ELementary are the 3 schools that serve this area I think. FM realty has a nice website to do this.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:09 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,519 times
I swore by the FM Realty website when we purchased our home in the Cleveland area.

As Jamieshel mentioned just go to that website and under "Elementary Schools" put in the schools she mentioned and it will bring up the houses in the Cleveland area (but you'll have to do it one at a time). You can also enter price range and other specifics you want(bedrooms, baths etc.)

We love the Cleveland area!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:40 PM

Location: Raleigh, Rolesville, Cary, Garner, Clayton, Fuquay-Varina, Knightdale, Holly Spring, Apex, Durham
12 posts, read 27,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coocarooch View Post
Ok, so we've been researching this move for about a year and a half. We were torn between Raleigh and Charlotte for a while but know the Raleigh area is where we will end up. It seems that areas just outside the city have exactly the homes and land we are looking for in our price range. Rolesville and Clayton come up a LOT. Now, there won't be a commute so I am not worried how far away from RTP we are etc. I just would really like to know what you guys think of these areas (or might recommend other areas). We have 3 small kids so yes, schools are important (we are really interested in the year round ones). I don't think we are too worried about how rural the areas are either.
Do any of you know about the Glen Laurel Community?
Also, one thing that concerns us is flooding, are there areas which we should stay away from in regards to this? I really appreciate any honest imput. Thanks!
Well...I live in Rolesville and I am a Realtor. Rolesville is a "Small Town with a Bright Future" I just recently joined the Chamber of Rolesville. The town is growing which is great because as new businesses come in, the property value and interest in the town grows. Another plus, is that their is Raleigh 10 minutes south and Wake Forest 5 minutes west. The drawback, is that the town is smaller but nicer and growing fast. We just added Sanford Creek Elementry, right across from Granite Falls. My wife and I are thinking about joining the Granite Falls Swim & Atlethic Club because its so close. Homeowners of Granite Falls get a discount.
If you haven't seen the homes at Granite Falls, they have truly out done themselves. The homes are awesome. Why they are slow selling right now is because of what's happening to the mortgage market. If you can buy, I would recommend buying in Rolesville.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,386 times
Rolesville is being built around family values and family recreation. A new park is being expanded, baseball fields are kept up, a large new elementary school just opened, the new middle school will be started shortly ( opening in Jan of 2011) on 37.5 acres. with athletic and recreational facilities beyond the scope of other middle schools. Town residents will have access to the facilities under the agreement.
There are no large department stores there so you have to drive about 10 to 15 min. to the mall.
It is a small town that is about to grow very rapidly and very carefully.
Call the town board and speak with them.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:59 AM

57 posts, read 145,174 times
Great post with good information!!! Thanks to all for the input.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:35 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,840 times
it's all a matter of preference, I have been knocked about building a home in Knightdale, I could care less what anyone thinks. My opinion, there are truly no bad areas in the Triangle, some towns will have sections/pockets that are not desired, the triangle is a great place to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary