U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2008, 06:14 AM
 
13 posts, read 36,759 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

We just moved to the area and just wondering whether anyone saw all the fire trucks and fire fighters/service people on bridges the other day on I40 i think it was? there was a fire truck and at least 4 fire service people on every bridge for miles (about 5 or 6 bridges or overpasses total). They were either in their fire fighter uniform or their formal uniform. One group was even saluting. Their lights were on, but no sirens. Just curious to know what was going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2008, 06:22 AM
Status: "Apple Pie!" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Cary, NC
19,601 posts, read 31,157,320 times
Reputation: 16636
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltonc View Post
We just moved to the area and just wondering whether anyone saw all the fire trucks and fire fighters/service people on bridges the other day on I40 i think it was? there was a fire truck and at least 4 fire service people on every bridge for miles (about 5 or 6 bridges or overpasses total). They were either in their fire fighter uniform or their formal uniform. One group was even saluting. Their lights were on, but no sirens. Just curious to know what was going on.
President Bush was in town, and maybe they were turned out to increase the security presence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 06:29 AM
 
121 posts, read 265,875 times
Reputation: 44
I have seen this once before while driving from Cleveland to Detroit in some real nasty thunderstorms. There were firetrucks on every overpass on the highway. I was told they were monitoring for tornadoes.

Was it a stormy night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Apex, NC
2,176 posts, read 4,640,638 times
Reputation: 1373
I don't know for sure, but I believe there was a funeral for a Raleigh firefighter the other day in Johnston county somewhere. It's typical for firefighters to man the bridges has the funeral procession passes beneath, so that they can pay their respects. The casket of the fallen firefighter is placed on top of one of the engines and taken to the burial place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,660 posts, read 18,222,617 times
Reputation: 3543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I don't know for sure, but I believe there was a funeral for a Raleigh firefighter the other day in Johnston county somewhere. It's typical for firefighters to man the bridges has the funeral procession passes beneath, so that they can pay their respects. The casket of the fallen firefighter is placed on top of one of the engines and taken to the burial place.
Might have been for George Crocker.

Fire departments sent engines to escort Crocker's body as it was taken from his Johnston County home to Chapel Hill, where an autopsy was scheduled.

Firefighter's death under investigation :: WRAL.com

Last edited by mm34b; 06-27-2008 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 04:29 PM
 
401 posts, read 1,090,853 times
Reputation: 196
It was for George Crocker. His body was sent with an escort to Chapel Hill on Sunday for an autopsy so that Line of Duty death benifits could be obtained (autopsy is required). After the autopsy, the body was escorted back to his hometown of Pine-Level on Monday for funeral services. All the fire service personnel that you observed on the bridges were there to show respect for a fallen brother.
Attached Thumbnails
did anyone see all the fire service vehicles on bridges?-2608073246_bb2d178cd7.jpg  

Last edited by cary native; 06-27-2008 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Apex, NC
2,176 posts, read 4,640,638 times
Reputation: 1373
OK not to be too nitpicky here, but do you realize they are displaying the flag backwards? When hung up, the stars should be on the top left hand corner just like if it was being hung horizontally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
2,236 posts, read 4,089,509 times
Reputation: 2100
^You are correct but I'm sure it was just an honest mistake since I'm sure they have other things on their minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 10:34 PM
 
1,106 posts, read 2,467,096 times
Reputation: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
OK not to be too nitpicky here, but do you realize they are displaying the flag backwards? When hung up, the stars should be on the top left hand corner just like if it was being hung horizontally.

If you were traveling/photographing from the other direction the flag would appear to be hung correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 10:38 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,016 posts, read 39,697,317 times
Reputation: 13250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
If you were traveling/photographing from the other direction the flag would appear to be hung correctly.
but they are facing that side of bridge indicating that is the direction the precession is heading under the bridge
If the precession was heading in the other direction we would see the firefighters backside.
The flag I am sure wasnt drape up for some photo op
It about proper flag protocol and respect for the American Flag.
Im not saying these firefighter's dont but to honor someone with the American Flag you follow certain steps.
In this case they made an error.
Unless the photographer flip the image before posting in error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top