Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:24 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerrang View Post
WRAL news last night said there is always a jump in our unemployment rate around this time of year due to the new college graduates flooding the market looking for jobs. I read an article in the N & O a month or two ago about what the top fields are for jobs here, but I cannot locate the article on their web page. The top ten was a little surprising to me. Here are a few other articles that are interesting.

newsobserver.com | Triangle's jobs draw people (http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1083773.html - broken link)

http://http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2008/05/19/story6.html (broken link)

newsobserver.com | Promising careers for high school graduates (http://www.newsobserver.com/print/sunday/work_money/story/1051434.html - broken link)
Would they be counted since they are mainly ineligible for unemployment benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 07:50 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Education and health-care are relatively recession proof industries. I've worked in higher ed for almost 10 years and have loved it. The benefits are terrific and the pay isn't bad at all, either.

If you're looking for fields with challenging work and greater economic stability, you could do far worse.
Interesting you should say that BCR, because it's a thought I've had (and done nothing about, obviously!) for about 8 or 9 years now. But what does a person with a marketing and business background, undergraduate and graduate degrees and a LOT of corporate experience, do? I'm not sure I want to go into early education; it would necessitate more years than I'd like to spend back in school. I've taught a few community college classes but don't know where to go from here to pursue either secondary or higher education full time? I'd be perfectly happy working in marketing or public relations for a major university but it's tough to convince people in that field that 20+ years solid brand management experience for Fortune 500 companies could relate to what they need. I'm a darn good sales person with a decent pitch, when necessary but I haven't been able to crack this market.

I have been trying to convince my husband to pursue teaching at the high school level. He's such an incredible history buff and so passionate about it and so well versed that I think he could get a job teaching at the high school level without a problem. He could pursue a masters degree at the same time. He could also coach football--something he was only able to do during the few years he couldn't find a corporate job and started his own carpentry/contracting business to bring in SOMETHING to tide us over. He loved coaching but he just wanted to go back into the corporate rat race more than anything. He finally found a job and hated it---thought it was didn't pay well, was a rinky dink company, etc. That company went belly up a few months ago and here I am trying to convince him to teach again. With how desperately he's driving this relocation (I'd be happy in MA but I'm happy to consider moving too), you'd think he might jump at the chance? I'm sure schools are hiring!

Whew! Sorry I got off on my soapbox there.

Any advice for the higher or secondary education thing, please DM me so we don't have to hijack Mike's thread further.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:05 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerrang View Post
WRAL news last night said there is always a jump in our unemployment rate around this time of year due to the new college graduates flooding the market looking for jobs. I read an article in the N & O a month or two ago about what the top fields are for jobs here, but I cannot locate the article on their web page. The top ten was a little surprising to me. Here are a few other articles that are interesting.
Here's the Department of Labor data for Raleigh - Raleigh-Cary, NC Economy at a Glance. It doesn't yet include the May number just released, but it does have historical data going back to '98 (click on the dinosaur icon on various entries).

If this were just a normal seasonal bounce, it wouldn't jump up to the rate from 3 years ago. Then again, this is just one month's number in a set of data that tends to be inexact but it is something worth watching.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:54 AM

30 posts, read 28,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Would they be counted since they are mainly ineligible for unemployment benefits?
Even though they are not eligible for unemployment benefits, they are part of the unemployed stats. The biggest impact they have is taking available jobs that would have gone to someone else, which adds to the pool of people collecting unemployment. Many students that will be graduating from college have their jobs lined up for them prior to graduation, thus inflating the unemployment numbers for others at this time of year.

The article in the N&O showed that a degree in Business Administration was the number one degree to have here. I found that surprising. It was also noted that the Bio tech jobs will also be a good direction for students.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:13 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
The highest level in three years? Thats fine with me...now if it was the highest level in 25 or 50 years I'd get worried. We've still had it much better than most the past 15 years or so.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:22 AM

305 posts, read 713,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
As diverse as the area is, it is not immune. Have you been following the news and the markets? We are heading into a national economic meltdown. Our way of living is being changed in all aspects right before our eyes. Some are even predicting a worldwide depression and I tend to agree unless major changes are implimented at once. As to how this relates to the Triangle area? Well, again it feeds off the national economic food chain just like any other place does. You think unemployement is bad now, wait another 12-18 months. We are talking 12-25% is my prediction! Dow 7000. Energy, food, costs doubling, housing crashing to a repo rate of 35% or greater, oil at $225 and climbing, nation bank failures to a level that the FDIC will not be able to keep up. Feds print cash further weakening the dollar by 28% and so on. It's pure doom and gloom out there. Best get out of debt and savor your job. If you think it might be on the chopping block, plan for it now. The perfect storm is a brewing.
You are one wise and realistic individual.

Bravo to you for being able to clearly read the writing on the wall (horrible though it may be). Anyone who reads your posting should take heed and financially prepare as best they possibly can.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:30 AM

30 posts, read 28,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
You think unemployement is bad now, wait another 12-18 months. We are talking 12-25% is my prediction! Dow 7000. Energy, food, costs doubling, housing crashing to a repo rate of 35% or greater, oil at $225 and climbing, nation bank failures to a level that the FDIC will not be able to keep up. Feds print cash further weakening the dollar by 28% and so on. It's pure doom and gloom out there. The perfect storm is a brewing.

Are you Brian Williams from NBC?

I think this is overstating our local minor slowdown just a wee bit to much.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:02 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
The highest level in three years? Thats fine with me...now if it was the highest level in 25 or 50 years I'd get worried. We've still had it much better than most the past 15 years or so.
I hear you but the concern I have is we are really on the front end of this one. Just like the housing downturn it takes time to works its way out. If we at at its highest level in three year at the start of this where will it be in 6 months?

I am a very positive person but this one has me even thinking negative about the future until such time oil gets under control. Many industries in the triangle will be under pressure to turn a profit and as their core business expenses rise they will be left to cutting staff to save money.

We already see it happening in the housing industry, housing starts are down, Wake Forest as an example will have its lowest level of housing starts in many years in 2008. New store fronts in Plaza's are empty with no signs of businesses to fill them. See the plaza where the BJ's is oin Capital Blvd, near the Triangle Center. Look at the progress or lack there of the new 43 story building near the Crabtree mall area. With this slow down comes tremendous pressure on our local and state governments ability to collect tax revenues. Looks what Morrisville is doing to their tax rate to continue to provide ongoing services. Is this just the start and will all local governments do the same next fiscal budgets?

So yes we can discount the downturn in unemployment rate as short term, just a blip or we can plan for the slowdown and act accordingly. Its our choice.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:09 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Looks what Morrisville is doing to their tax rate to continue to provide ongoing services. Is this just the start and will all local governments do the same next fiscal budgets?
Just wanted to point out that Morrisville did not end up increasing their tax rate after all.

Cary, Morrisville approve budgets without tax increases :: WRAL.com

Old 06-29-2008, 07:18 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Raleigh shafted water customers 15%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary