Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:56 AM

279 posts, read 702,709 times

Advertisements

We are moving in about 10 days
We are trying to get opinions on the best route. My husband has done straight down 95, and we have also done 81 through PA.
We will want to stop after 8 hours to sleep and need to find a hotel that will allow our dogs.
Anyone have opinions on which they prefer and why?
We will be leaving mid day on Saturday if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 06:25 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagetoutofmaine View Post
We are moving in about 10 days
We are trying to get opinions on the best route. My husband has done straight down 95, and we have also done 81 through PA.
We will want to stop after 8 hours to sleep and need to find a hotel that will allow our dogs.
Anyone have opinions on which they prefer and why?
We will be leaving mid day on Saturday if that helps.
I would suggest avoiding large parts of 95 if possible, even if it means spending more time on the road and driving a few extra miles. I've driven virtually every stretch of 95 between Miami and New York, and there's not one single stretch that I enjoy. It has to be one of America's worst roads, at least in terms of the stress factor.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it works! I'm driving to Boston in about two weeks, so if you end up taking a decent alternative to 95, please do share the details!

On another note - the stretch of 85 between Petersburg, VA and Durham is usually very pleasant and lightly-traveled. I'd recommend that for the last leg of your trip, even if you are headed to Raleigh and it adds a few more miles.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
If you have the time, take 81. We've never driven all the way to Raleigh, but we've done the Boston-DC route often. When we have the time, we go that way.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:54 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
95->84->81->64 (to richmond)->95 (for a bit)->85 (there might be a few more roads in there, its been awhile). Advantage: less traffic disadvantage: more construction (will they ever finish PA?), fewer places to stop/hotels, longer.
or
95 the whole way until just below richmond and pick up 85 - Advantage: lots of hotels, a bit shorter, more hotels disadvantages: as you stated <grin>

best of luck

oh, last time I did that trek with animals, I visited a website 'petfriendly hotels' or some such (search on that term) to find hotels on the way that would accept animals.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:57 AM

29 posts, read 118,380 times
Like StoneOne I have driven most of 95. I call it the "highway of hells"... it goes from hot as hell (Miami) to cold as hell (Maine) with hell on earth right in the middle (DC).

I agree about I-85 - it's usually an easy ride - hardly any traffic.

Whatever you do, avoid hitting the stretch of 95 from DC to Fredricksburg during rush hour (6-10am and 3-7pm).

If you can take the extra time, take 81 as far as you can. It does add time and miles, but probably will save on your sanity.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:22 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marathonali View Post
Like StoneOne I have driven most of 95. I call it the "highway of hells"... it goes from hot as hell (Miami) to cold as hell (Maine) with hell on earth right in the middle (DC).

I agree about I-85 - it's usually an easy ride - hardly any traffic.

Whatever you do, avoid hitting the stretch of 95 from DC to Fredricksburg during rush hour (6-10am and 3-7pm).

If you can take the extra time, take 81 as far as you can. It does add time and miles, but probably will save on your sanity.
Going South from DC to Fredericksburg in the morning is not too bad, it's going North in the AM and South in the PM that can be hell on earth. Although the beltway can be congested on both sides in the AM, once you get back onto 95 south in Fairfax County it should not be too bad at all.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:02 AM

23 posts, read 172,689 times
Default I-81 vs. I-95

We were doing the drive from Boston to Greensboro for several years, and found Mass Pike to 84 to 81 much more pleasant than 95. We'd come down to Roanoke and take 220 to Greensboro; once we took 29 from Lynchburg. So it's slower at the end - but a less-agravating ride overall. We'd break the trip at Winchester or Martinsburg or Hagerstown, but I don't know about pet-friendly places. It does take you substantially farther west and adds miles, which could be a consideration with gas prices what they are, but the traffic is so much better. Lately we've been doing Boston to South Boston, VA, and now we've moved to Durham so we've done Boston <> Durham and it's been all I-95, which is usually horrible. The advantage is that you can drive it in one day (which you're not planning to do) but the traffic out of DC southbound is always awful.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:29 AM

831 posts, read 1,965,052 times
DogFriendly.com® - Pet Travel Guides and City Guides for Dog/Pet Owners

Old 07-02-2008, 08:31 AM

831 posts, read 1,965,052 times
It's a necessity with my trio of monsters. Safe trip!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:44 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
On another note - the stretch of 85 between Petersburg, VA and Durham is usually very pleasant and lightly-traveled.
But also the most godawful BORING stretch of road that ever existed. I prefer to take 95 to Rocky Mount and then come over on 64, which is a wonderful stretch that actually lets you see some pretty parts of NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary