Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:16 AM

31 posts, read 106,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negtive View Post
I am interested in getting this done too, I just find it odd that most docs that do lasik wear glasses....don't they trust the long term effects?
I had the surgery many years ago, and then recently at duke eye to attempt to improve an ongoing issue with blurred vision. The things the docs never advertise:
1) best corrected vision "visual acuity" is reduced in 100 percent of the cases due to scarring of the tissue. This mean you will never have the same acuity you did with contacts or glasses. The only question is whether the lifestyle improvement is worth the crispness degradation.

2) never in a million years would I suggest to someone to get both eyes done at the same time. I believe this is completely unethical when working on healthy tissue. You can get by with 1 working eye (I am), but had both my eyes had the issues my right eye had, ...

Looking back I have mixed feelings about the surgery since my left has been successful 20/20. I do not consider this plastic surgery since I was having very real issues with contacts at the time, and glasses heavily impacted many activities. Perhaps the biggest problem I have with this is that this non reversible procedure is treated no differently then a new tv. Only difference is that there is a warranty on the tv - there is none in your eyes. If your in that 3-5 percent and both eyes fail, you will never see well again - hence the suggestion to do the eyes separately. Costs 50 percent more - but think of it as a insurance against a permanently ruined life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 01:22 PM

143 posts, read 416,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Your experience souns a lot like mine. I'm 33 now and had mine done when I was 27. I had 20/80-20/90 vision in both eyes with a slight astigmatism. I had mine done in Northern Va and I paid a total of $2,800, although they did give me a 10% discount for being in law enforcement at the time. I now see 20/15 in both eyes and have had ZERO issues since the proceedure was done. It was the best $2,800 I have and will probably ever spend in my life.

I don't know why SaturnFan is always negative about most things. Sure their is always a risk, but with the right doctor you should have no issues.
I had a similar experience to yours...my vision was -6.25 in one eye and -5.75 in the other (not sure what 20/? that is) with slight astigmatism. I paid around $4,000 about a year and a half ago for both eyes and it was worth every penny. No issues at all.

The one bit of advice I'd give it not to cheap out - if you're looking at a place that is $499-999 per eye, there's probably a reason.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:29 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC81 View Post
The one bit of advice I'd give it not to cheap out - if you're looking at a place that is $499-999 per eye, there's probably a reason.
I've considered Lasik though never done it, and if there were anything in this whole wide world that I would never search for the "cheapest" vendor, it's Lasik. Televisions, sure. Dental work, no problem. Arthroscopy, probably. Some guy shining a laser in my eye? Ummmm, I'm perfectly happy to pay more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary