Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 06:48 AM

26 posts, read 90,835 times

Advertisements

I am moving my family to the Chapel Hill in the fall (whenever our house in NY sells.....) I have heard on this site that all the pre schools in chapel hill are full and you have to get on a waiting list? We are looking to move into the Lake Hogan Farms area and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on good pre schools near there. Perhaps I should get on a list now? My son is 4 so I will only need one year of Pre school for him, but I don't even know where to start. We are coming out to look around soon and I would love to have a few schools to visit while I am there....
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....
I have moved a lot in my life time, but doing it with two young kids is definately more of a challenge!!!
thanks
jharris213
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 07:14 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
There are tons of good preschools here ,but it's true they fill early. Many people go w/church related preschools (even when Jewish, atheist, etc). Some that have really good reputations are:

Chapel Hill Presbyterian Church
Orange United Methodist Preschool
Chapel Hill Cooperative Preschool (not church-related)
Binkley Church Preschool
Chapel Hill Bible Church (I think that's what it's called. The name scared me off--being atheist especially--but it is a very liberal church).
There's also a really good one on MLK Blvd. and I"m totally blanking on it. Anyone???

If you're into alternative preschools, there is the Waldorf School (great) and a number of Montessoris (no idea about which are good).

It's true that most, if not all, of these will have waitlists for fall which were established way back in Feb. so calling now and getting on a list would be worth doing right now. Even then it might be tough for this fall.

Finally, Duke School I know has a few openings but I think it's only in its 3 year old class, not 4 year old...but you could check (that's a private school in Durham which goes through 8th grade. It's a great school and they have preschool. Will be much more expensive than any of the other options though). Also Carolina Friends is a private school (pre-k through 12) and Durham Academy (prek-12). Again, much more expensive.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:36 PM

12 posts, read 44,805 times
Hi there,

Was in your boat until recently. Have now placed my 2 yr old in one of the chapel hill preschools. This webpage: chapelhillmothersclub.org - was an excellent resource. Yes, most preschools have a long waiting list. But getting on their waiting list helps - I got lucky with this opening that came out of the blue. You will too I am sure. August is also when more openings come up.
So you should be fine. You can start with this website and call/email the schools.

But Chapel Hill has some of the best preschools in the country and you will get one of them soon.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:16 PM

26 posts, read 90,835 times
Default Thanks..

Thanks guys, that really helps.... I will check into all of those schools and see what happens!
Jharris213

Old 07-03-2008, 03:36 PM

847 posts, read 3,523,161 times
There's a big list at the Chapel Hill Mothers Club site:
Chapel Hill/Carrboro Mothers Club: Preschools by Location (http://www.chapelhillmothersclub.org/Preschool/preschoolsbylocation.htm - broken link)

Don't give up! We decided to enroll our kids both times at the last minute (mid-summer) and got in where we wanted (in two different schools).

Old 07-03-2008, 04:38 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
You might also try St. Stephen's Episcopal Preschool. It's in Durham (Hope Valley), but has a few CH families too.

http://www.ssecdurham.org/learning-and-education/preschool (broken link)

Old 07-03-2008, 07:13 PM

478 posts, read 2,045,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cettvm View Post
But Chapel Hill has some of the best preschools in the country and you will get one of them soon.
How is this measured ('best in country')? I'd like to have this information when I'm evaluating CH preschools. We're going to be utilising Orange County schools soon and want to understand why CH has some of the best preschools int he country, what makes the curriculum and environment so different from the rest of the nation.

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2008, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,993 times
Thumbs up International Montessori School

My kids attend the International Montessori School (our 3rd year). We just moved here and had a devil of a time finding a preschool. They used to be called the Language Center, so you still see that name.

Anyway, the school is a language immersion one -- either French or Spanish. My kids are in French. They love it and their accents are amazing. We are very pleased.

I think they might have one or two spots left for the fall. Their website is [url=http://www.imsnc.org]International Montessori School [International Montessori School][/url]

Good Luck!

Last edited by saramama; 08-13-2008 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary