Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:42 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times

Advertisements

Wow, I needed to read a heartwarming thread like this right now. I'm so sorry for the way things have been going for you, but it's so impressive how many people actually want to help. You sound like people that are from my area of the country. (That's a compliment, by the way)

Just wanted to add that IMHO it may not be wise to sink your savings into starting a new business. Since the economy isn't good there and businesses are already closing (as was stated), the time may not be right for that.

Best of luck to you and please let us know how things are working out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 12:44 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
Here's a great book recommendation: "What Does It Take To Get A Job Around Here" by Cynthia Shapiro. She was an HR person/hiring manager and while 80% of the book is just common sense, there are a handful of "insider tips" of things that can cost you the job that took me by surprise and which I'm sure to which I might have fallen prey to two or three times in my job and interviewing life.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:38 PM

286 posts, read 994,366 times
[quote=raccemup;4344585]my hubby is a social worker so I may know a little bit about this.

4. NC employers are SLOOOOOWWWWW. They take FOREVER to get back to you! The first job I got here took almost 8 weeks to get hired from the time I first got called from them. So you may have some interest already but just don't know it yet.

Yes! I second this. NC employers are extremely slow. It took me a really long time to start getting calls. However, once I did I remember getting 5 phone calls in one day. I kept at it like it was my full time job (looking for a job I mean). I tried to get my resume out there to at least 5 places every day. Send me a private message if you're still looking. I work in social services. Might be able to point you in the right direction

Old 07-11-2008, 04:50 AM

551 posts, read 575,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Since the economy isn't good there and businesses are already closing (as was stated), the time may not be right for that.
Hi Jammie. The economy here is doing very well and many businesses are expanding. Quintiles alone is adding 1000 new jobs. There are always some companies trimming back or moving out, but overall we just keep adding new jobs here. Sometimes people don't know how it really is here, because they heard one thing and thinks it applies to all companies.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:48 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,840 times
I agree, IMO the overall economy nationwide is poor.

I would not give up, keep applying and interviewing. I also agree with how slow NC employers are as far as following up and actually hiring. In my experience when searching for employment when I first arrived in NC was to do all the follow-up and not wait around for them to reply back to me. My persistence paid off. In my current position, I am always looking to learn more and grow more. I am constantly asking questions and seeing what opportunities are available. I would follow-up with everyone you have interviewed with. It wouldn't hurt. I wish you the best

Quote:
Just wanted to add that IMHO it may not be wise to sink your savings into starting a new business. Since the economy isn't good there and businesses are already closing (as was stated), the time may not be right for that.

Best of luck to you and please let us know how things are working out.

Last edited by nynraleigh; 07-11-2008 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-11-2008, 08:07 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
That's good to hear. It looks like NC can be added to the list of booming areas. The economy is actually bad all over. It's just fine in So. Dak. and a lot of our surrounding states. Tx. seems to also be doing very well.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:58 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times
Quote:

I would agree if one was looking to start a business that required a separate office or store and was moving inventory. A home-based consulting business, which can really be almost anything under the sun, is incredibly cheap to start, though. My investment has consisted of several thousand dollars in home office furniture, equipment, a bit of travel and miscellaneous expenses like business cards and such. I use the same phone and internet service that we would have at home anyway. Google Apps allows one to build a basic website for free (with one's own domain and corporate email). Registering an LLC in North Carolina costs only $125 and involves filling out 3 pages of paperwork.

Now, one does need a bit of savings to live off (or lots of room on the credit cards!!), and of course it does help if you have past employers or other contacts who could generate at least a limited amount of business at the outset.

If you choose the route of starting a consulting business of sorts, I would think about the places you've been applying to and think about how you could offer them the same services as a contractor that you would as an employee. There are lots of businesses that might really be in need but are unable to go to the expense or time of hiring an actual employee -- it's MUCH, MUCH cheaper and easier to hire contractors. You can certainly use this to your benefit as well and have several projects.

Again, good luck!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:46 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
I hope that my suggestion will serve to encourage you. It is based on my own experience relocating to this area.

While your credentials may very well be more impressive than any other candidate for a job you interview for, please try to understand that the person interviewing you may very well fear for their own position if they hire you. They may very well choose a less qualified candidate to protect themselves.

Another thing to keep in mind-There are people coming to this area all the time who bring an attitude of "I'm going to show these hillbillies how it's really done" to their workplace. There is such a thing as being overconfident in an interview-I am NOT suggesting that this is what has happened, but my own experience is that I had to tone down my interviewing style when seeking employment here.

The employers I interviewed with clearly were inundated with applicants who had relocated here expecting a pot of gold. What got me hired was my interest in how their company did things, not me talking about all of the changes I could bring to the table if they were lucky enough to hire me.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-11-2008, 01:00 PM

177 posts, read 366,205 times
It's not because you're Hispanic/bilingual. I'm an experienced Spanish teacher with a Master's and over fifteen years tchg exp who would like to move there from eastern Va, sent my resume all spring for all Wake openings, heard almost nothing back from any of the schools, only had ONE interview about 3 weeks ago which I was definitely qualified for, and they decided to hire VIF (international faculty) instead. Hang in there and do try to market the bilingual skills - they are useful in that area! Buena Suerte a ti!

Old 07-11-2008, 02:06 PM

194 posts, read 325,773 times
Sorry that you are not having any luck in the job market- at the moment.
It's probably best to take a fresh look at things. Even though you have been on the other end of things as far as interviewing, doesn't mean that the ppl interviewing you are looking for the same things you were during the ones you conducted. If you have interviewed for a number of positions, you probably noticed that the interview styles can vary greatly. You might not be doing as well with the interviews as you feel. Also appropriate interview attire,cover letters, resumes and follow up letters are really important. Try taking a fresh look at all of that and see if anything needs some fine tuning. It might also be due to the number of applicants applying for limited positions. We do have a large population of working hispanics in the Triangle- and a need for bilingual employees. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary