Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:44 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtofl407 View Post
Look at the economic news today -- the big corporations are all reporting record profits (helped along by our taxpayer stimulus money) yet hiring remains frozen.....and you can be sure a lot of that profit is not trickling down to the rank-and-file employees.

It makes me laugh when I watch the news and the talking heads are all saying well these numbers show the economy is getting better. Whoa - ask any of us who have been laid over the past 5 years off from good jobs with good benefits how it's going. I lost my almost-6 figure jobs with a pension plan & good benefits almost 5 years ago. Since then I've been working for a bit above minimum wage with no benefits, paid vacation, 401(k) etc.

Altho I'm college-educated and are willing to take a salary cut I know employers would rather hire someone right out college over me.....

Honestly, the whole thing is so depressing - we've become a culture of the haves (the top 5%) and the have-nots - the rest fo us former middle-class folks just trying to get along day-to-day. Don't even get me started on retirement!!

Retirement? other than the REMOTE possibility of Social Security? does it exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 12:47 PM

635 posts, read 3,092,838 times
There certainly is a happy medium between "hungry go-getters" and workers that are "vesting in peace", but changes in technology, economic environment, etc also tend to setup trends in business that set the misguided perception of suddenly having the ability to get something(such as skilled labor) for nothing, or at least much cheaper.

Every so often we see actual fundamental changes such as the mechanization of weaving, that irrevocably change the workplace and the value of the associated labor. But more often we seen blips and short-lived trends that are "sold" to the business community as "game changers" but in reality are just a shell game.

This is true of the much maligned and often cited outsourced call center model. On the surface the initial outsourcing seems much cheaper and more flexible, and in some cases that was true. But in many cases the costs of retraining, dropping customer satisfaction, and other issues often made the exercise a losing proposition. And as with outsourced manufacturing and other services, the strategic view showed that these islands of "cheap" labor soon(in a business sense, say 10-20 years) became skilled labor with an increased demand for a higher standard of living, which drove up labor costs, eliminating the primary advantage of outsourcing. ...and so, the businesses would then look for the next lowest cost market. And if one looks at that model, particularly for manufacturing, it is interesting to see how the "next great manufacturing center" migrates around the globe over the years.

So what is my point? The real value of labor never really changes, except in those rare pivotal examples. The temptation to get something(labor) for cheap is something of a fallacy in the long run, and similarly to pile-on to one job what normally requires two or more, is not sustainable even if the "hungry" employee seems willing. In the end, the market and the reality of the job will return to its true value.

So, how does this statement solve the employment problem expressed and experienced in this thread? ....it doesn't unfortunately. The economy and labor market just has to run its course. Employers will try to save costs up front however they can, especially now. And that will include hiring "hungry" college grads, immigrants, etc that are willing to burn themselves out on 60 hour work weeks. But over time the employers that weather this storm will learn the true value and requirements of a given job. If the job really requires 2 people fundamentally, it just does, and trying to cut corners will result in a job poorly or incompletely done.

Regarding hiring, corporate profits, etc.... keep in mind that hiring(unemployment) is a lagging indicator, in fact one of the most lagging. Businesses hire, hiring(employing) is one of the single largest expenses for a business, and businesses aren't going to incur that expense until they are well into being confident and comfortable that their economic situation is on an upswing. So while we may see, and be frustrated by, large corporate earnings while jobs still lag, that gap is an unfortunate reality.

Al

Old 07-15-2010, 03:26 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtofl407 View Post
Look at the economic news today -- the big corporations are all reporting record profits (helped along by our taxpayer stimulus money) yet hiring remains frozen.....and you can be sure a lot of that profit is not trickling down to the rank-and-file employees.
Maybe they are cutting costs to make a profit (which is the american way really), why do they need to hire more just because profits are rising? There may not be a need for more employees.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,158 times
I need advice. I am 29 years old, single. I live in a very small town and I just need to move on. I have done alot of Research about Raleigh/Durham NC. I am interested in going back to college in Durham. I been reading alot of stories on hear and now I am kinda questioning moving in May with out a job. I have done alot of job searching on here, but as everyone knows nobody will hire u unless you live in that current town. I have a BS degree in Child Development and Minor in Family Studies. My question, do you think I will make it if I have plenty saved. HOw is the job market in Durham? How are the colleges?

Old 01-13-2011, 07:31 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
I'd say child care may be easier to find work in but will not pay what you think it should. You may have to get your NC early childhood credentials as well to qualify for employment, depending on the establishment. My wife works in child care and never has been long w/o employment. 6 months or less. Some places she's worked, though, have been basically minimum wage. Some make it up inother ways, like the head start she works for now pays for college courses. I've found working at a hospital daycare (most large ones have onsite daycare for staff) tends to pay well. Governement/Military Child Development Centers tend to pay good, as well. Though there is not likely to be any of these in Durham.

Provider - Professional Development - Education Requirements

Here is the head start for Durham:

http://www.obtnc.org/headstart.htm

Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Kyla View Post
I need advice. I am 29 years old, single. I live in a very small town and I just need to move on. I have done alot of Research about Raleigh/Durham NC. I am interested in going back to college in Durham. I been reading alot of stories on hear and now I am kinda questioning moving in May with out a job. I have done alot of job searching on here, but as everyone knows nobody will hire u unless you live in that current town. I have a BS degree in Child Development and Minor in Family Studies. My question, do you think I will make it if I have plenty saved. HOw is the job market in Durham? How are the colleges?

I believe that with those credentials and a substatial savings (are you paying for school?) you should be ok. Working with children (if that is what you are looking for) is a stronger field than some. Colleges? how much do you want to spend? There is of course Duke. There is NCCU, Unc down the road. Durham / Raleigh / Chapel Hill (AKA = Triangle) has a college for just about every interest.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:53 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,326 times
I came with about 7 months worth of savings and knew that after 2 months of intense job search in my field, I'd take ANY job that came along until a job in my field did. After 2 months, I took a temp position at a clothing store... one week later I got the call... a year and a half later I'm still with the job in my field. If you are smart, it can work. You have to know your bottom line, figure your finances out to a T, and be willing to be very humble. People are always looking for nannies/babysitters if you need something to carry you over for a while, or for while you are in school. (I made more nannying in my college summers than I do at my current job lol. There is a LOT of money in it if you find the right fam... but of course there were no benefits, etc.) Good luck!

Old 01-13-2011, 08:09 PM

216 posts, read 539,279 times
From what I understand Ft Bragg is going to be undergoing a large growth between now and the next 2 years. They are closing Ft McPhearson (a base by Atlanta) and moving a large number of military folks to Ft Bragg. Word on the street is that Ft Bragg will have the largest concentration of generals outside of the pentagon. Ft Bragg employs a lot of civilians and contractors to do jobs that the soilders no longer do. Might look into this at USAjobs.gov.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:37 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
You've arrived here at a bad time, our worst in recent history. By and large, no one here hates outsiders, unless they come with a chip on their shoulders. The person always criticizing "people down here this & people down here that" don't get a warm welcome, for obvious reasons.

Being Hispanic is not a problem with most people, though there is some friction about high numbers of illegal immigrants. With many of them being Hispanic, that may create some hurdles for you.

Even in better times, many people have had a hard time finding the jobs they wanted. Employers here can pick and choose for the most part. This area has a high percentage of college grads & professional people of every sort. Lots of companies have shut down or reduced operations. Government agencies are even starting to trim their budgets a little.

Temporary services used to be a great way to get in the door at some places. I haven't been to one since the 80's but Manpower kept me eating for a year or so back then. Others in this area are Olsten, Kelly, Western & a few others. Check with some of them and see about getting placed in office assignments.

Someone suggested starting a business. I used to know several people with cleaning businesses that managed a decent living from them. Not glamorous work, but survival nonetheless. Caterers have seemed to do well. I've known a few of them, some started from rags.

Good luck to you, hang in there.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:20 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Took me almost a year to find full-time employment after returning to the area. Kept getting told I was overqualified if told anything at all. It was incredibly frustrating. All you job seekers out there keep up the good fight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary