Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:36 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
Thanks for the tips, i'll keep those in mind! The one thing i cant see myself doing is not being real or should i say be myself. Slowing how fast i talk might come over time, but thats a tough thing to change. T
You don't have to. Yes, it's been commented on where I work how fast those us from the North talk (and we've commented on how slow Southerners do!) but no one has taken it as being rude.....just different.

Be yourself....it really is the best. Drive to keep up with traffic, talk to be friendly....and if someone thinks your being rude because they haven't yet understood the growth in the area...well...there really is nothing you can do about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 08:06 AM

546 posts, read 2,416,801 times
definitely be yourself. I don't think you need to change anything about how you talk or drive or anything to fit in. that is the beauty of raleigh. so many people from so many places bring their flavor to your life. it keeps life interesting!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:44 AM

137 posts, read 606,987 times
I had a conversation with a job recruiter last week (a transplant from Canada, btw) about how it seems like almost everyone I meet here is from somewhere else. So I think the "acceptance" fear shouldn't be something to worry about too much. People are coming to Raleigh from literally everywhere... midwest, northeast, California, Texas, Florida... it's not like we're being run over by an invasion from people from one specific state. I hear a lot of New York, Philly, and Bostonian accents whenever I venture out... I think nothing of it other than curiousity about what brought them to the area.

Myself, I'm actually a fairly well-traveled person - so it's always interesting to me to meet new people from other areas and compare notes.

I'm a native North Carolinian who moved away north, grew up, then came back... so I'm not sure what that makes me... lol

Old 01-17-2007, 11:28 AM

213 posts, read 936,362 times
Default Good Italian restaurants in Raleigh area

My list as a former NY'er...been here for 12 years.....would recommend 4 places in the Raleigh area.

1. Assagio's Bistro, 3501 W Millbrook Rd, Raleigh (near Glenwood Ave intersection)
2. Casalinga, Raleigh 4538 Capital Blvd (Cross Street: Millbrook Road)
3. Casa Carbone, 6019 Glenwood Ave Ste A, Raleigh
4. Venero's Pizza, 9973 Us Highway 70 W, Clayton

You should have seen it when I first moved here. The only pasta you could get in the grocery store was elbow.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:51 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,323 times
Default New Yorkers being accepted in Raleigh Metro area

Once again, a big Thank You to all that are sending me all this positive info & input!

We are planning a vacation to Raleigh soon and we are basically going to do our own thing and drive around and get a feel for the area's, people and so on.

I'll be honest, while we are somewhat worried about fitting in, its mainly our young children we are focusing on, they have a long life ahead, and i want them to go to school and not have to worry even a bit about a NY accent being an issue. Again, in the past some people have told me that it will be a problem, while so many of people on this post board said the opposite.

I do have one question! When we do arrive on vacation, are there any certain areas that are high crime dangerous areas? Like areas we should know in advance to not even dare drive through? I ask because Vegas has many areas like that.

Have a safe day everybody!

Thanks --Tony

Old 01-18-2007, 04:08 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
"Like areas we should know in advance to not even dare drive through?"
I know of no area in the Triangle that fits that description.

And if your kids have been taught that the world doesn't revolve around them, and that is an example they have seen demonstrated at home, you will all do fine.
If you move here, make it your "Home." In your heart, as much as possible. We have some growing pains, but this is a GREAT area to live in.
If you don't find Italian food you like, tell the folks at your newfound favorite barbecue joint how much you LOVE the Q. Don't bemoan to them the gustatory pleasures you forfeited to grace their burg...
Natives have been absolutely beat to death with how it was back "home."

Old 01-18-2007, 06:15 AM

266 posts, read 1,052,183 times
Default "Write" on...

Mike! There is something I have noticed, particulary when it comes to the signal issues of letting someone into your driving lane and talking to those in your checkout line. The nicest people are often the transplants. I believe that the people who move here and make it their own are the ones making this such a friendly town. They are looking for a great place, but they are the ones making it so. Thanks!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:38 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,323 times
Default New Yorkers being accepted in Raleigh Metro area

Mike,

Thanks! I'm glad to hear you say there are no areas you know of that are unsafe for one to drive through. Here in Las Vegas there are many neigborhoods day or night i would highly recommend to avoid.

Thanks --T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Like areas we should know in advance to not even dare drive through?"
I know of no area in the Triangle that fits that description.

And if your kids have been taught that the world doesn't revolve around them, and that is an example they have seen demonstrated at home, you will all do fine.
If you move here, make it your "Home." In your heart, as much as possible. We have some growing pains, but this is a GREAT area to live in.
If you don't find Italian food you like, tell the folks at your newfound favorite barbecue joint how much you LOVE the Q. Don't bemoan to them the gustatory pleasures you forfeited to grace their burg...
Natives have been absolutely beat to death with how it was back "home."

Old 01-18-2007, 11:12 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
There are some small areas to avoid.

1) Avoid parts of southeast Raleigh (inside the beltline) in particular the areas east of S Saunders St, south of MLK Blvd, and west of Rock Quarry Road. At night I have seen plenty of pimps, hookers, and drug-dealers on streets in these neighborhoods. This includes Blount Street, Person Street, and any of the backstreets through this area. They stay off the main drags because of police. The police does make a frequent patrol, and I didn't feel highly unsafe driving through, but it is definitely a marginal area. Nothing like the hood in Baltimore or D.C. though.

2) The east end of central Durham, along the Alston Avenue corridor and around that area, has some marginal areas where I would probably not recommend hanging around in at night. I doubt there is a huge threat of carjackings, muggings, etc.

Overall the Triangle area is full of great neighborhoods!

Old 01-18-2007, 05:10 PM

15 posts, read 50,041 times
Hello, we just moved from NY 2mos ago to Cary/Morrisville area. We like it.
It's true you will meet a lot of people from almost everywhere but here.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary