Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 08:49 PM

425 posts, read 1,257,084 times

Advertisements

Arrived in Cary, from Austin, TX on Sunday. Missed all the bad weather coming out here. Renting a house for 6 months, and hopefully no more, since we want to buy a house by summer. Our house in Austin listed just last week, and we have already accepted an offer on it. Of course, there's no guarantee until escrow, but everything looks good at this point for an easy closing.

I hate renting. Tonight the washing machine flooded the kitchen and now all my towels are wet and dirty once again. We used the washing machine provided with the house, and it seems to be working now, so we don't know what the problem was. My washer and dryer are sitting in the kitchen/dining area, unhooked and unused. I hope I don't regret not hooking them up instead of the provided ones. We moved all our boxes, etc. into 1 of the 3 bedrooms, and I don't plan on unpacking too much. Seems like we have to go thru every box though to find the things we really want. What a pain, but I am glad that we are finally here and trying to settle in - but I miss our two adult kids that we left behind in Austin. Happy one moment, crying the next!

Husband starts work later this month and I am going to look for work here shortly. Think I am going to enjoy just a little time off, before I head back into the working environment. This forum has and I am sure, will continue to help me settle in and really enjoy this new adventure. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 08:58 PM

38 posts, read 167,275 times
Congratulations! We will be in your shoes in a little over a week. . . it sure is scary to think about picking up and moving to a totally new place. I too am leaving family behind. . . my parents. . . I am very sad and hoping that once we get there I will feel better.

I keep wondering. . . is it better to stay in one place because of family and risk not advancing professionally or take risks, move, and hope for the best. Obviously my husband and I have decided on taking the risk. I hope it is the right thing to do.

Anyone else out there with insight or experience in this scary feeling???

Old 01-17-2007, 07:28 AM

225 posts, read 954,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolligrump View Post
Happy one moment, crying the next!
I know the feeling! I just arrived Jan. 1st. Everyone says we'll love the area, but, right now it is hard to get acculmated where you don't know anyone & can't go 5 miles without getting lost.

The hardest part is hearing my kids say they miss their friends back home & miss their schools, they want to go back etc....I know that's all part of moving to a new area--but, it's still hard.

Once I start meeting some others & get involved it will get better!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:29 AM

137 posts, read 607,193 times
A GOOD street map helps. And no, I don't mean a state highway map - I bought a spiral-bound ADAC (maybe I have that wrong?) street map book that covers Wake, Durham, and Orange Counties at Wal-Mart for about $22 a few years back. It shows schools, churches, subdivision names, post offices... there are even detail pages for downtown Raleigh and Durham. (In fact, it's getting close to time to update with a new one... lol) I keep it in the car and it's been a lifesaver. It's hard getting used to the way streets and roads always wind around in this area - especially compared to where I lived in Indiana, where everything pretty much went in a straight line north/south or east/west, so it's easy to get turned around. Raleigh itself isn't too bad, but my first 2 or 3 trips into Cary without a map were a disaster!!!

The more you get around though, the quicker you learn the area. Don't be afraid to try a different route from the freeways, many times you'll discover some interesting new spots you'll want to visit (shopping, points of interest, parks, etc). Just remember to pay attention to traffic and beware the red light cameras!

Welcome! Enjoy!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:30 AM

607 posts, read 2,430,989 times
Default Making friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmarie View Post
I know the feeling! I just arrived Jan. 1st. Everyone says we'll love the area, but, right now it is hard to get acculmated where you don't know anyone & can't go 5 miles without getting lost.

The hardest part is hearing my kids say they miss their friends back home & miss their schools, they want to go back etc....I know that's all part of moving to a new area--but, it's still hard.

Once I start meeting some others & get involved it will get better!
I will be there in a few months... my fear is leaving my children as well, and of not making friends. Keep us posted on how that goes. I really need the interaction of other people, I hope I won't be lonely for too long.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:46 AM

225 posts, read 954,069 times
majicmc-thanks for the street map tip, I'm going to get one of those a.s.a.p.!

lizard: You may want to check into Meetups.com, I never knew about them until one day I stumbled upon the website. You can meet people with the same interests as you. I've already gone to 2 different ones, & everyone was really nice & it was a small group (under 10). Most groups meet about once a month. I don't know if I'll make any life long friends or stay in the groups, but, at leasts it's a start because I'm the same way, I need interaction & relationships with people.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:33 PM

567 posts, read 2,141,239 times
Morrisville2007 - You go! I think you were smart to move for a career opportunity. We've done the same and that is how you advance. Carpe Diem! Good opportunities don't come around every day, but your family, whether near or far, are there supporting you on a daily basis. They pull for your success no matter where you are.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:40 PM

425 posts, read 1,257,084 times
Smile I agree about the map!

[quote=magicmk;282861]A GOOD street map helps. And no, I don't mean a state highway map - I bought a spiral-bound ADAC (maybe I have that wrong?) street map book that covers Wake, Durham, and Orange Counties at Wal-Mart for about $22 a few years back. It shows schools, churches, subdivision names, post offices... there are even detail pages for downtown Raleigh and Durham. (In fact, it's getting close to time to update with a new one... lol) I keep it in the car and it's been a lifesaver. It's hard getting used to the way streets and roads always wind around in this area - especially compared to where I lived in Indiana, where everything pretty much went in a straight line north/south or east/west, so it's easy to get turned around. Raleigh itself isn't too bad, but my first 2 or 3 trips into Cary without a map

Just got a map from Staples this morning. It already has been a lifesaver.
Cary is certainly less confusing now. I was going around in circles, which in some cases is what you want, but not always. Looking forward to taking the roads less traveled now and see where I end up.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:58 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
My favorite drives are in North Raleigh (north of 540). Take 6-forks road north from 540, go across the lake and 98. I drive a little sport car (with a big engine!) and love it when I can put the convertible top down on a warm fall day and just explore that area. Quite a difference between that and north Dallas.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:51 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
My favorite drives are in North Raleigh (north of 540). Take 6-forks road north from 540, go across the lake and 98. I drive a little sport car (with a big engine!) and love it when I can put the convertible top down on a warm fall day and just explore that area. Quite a difference between that and north Dallas.
Uh-oh. Now the HP know who you are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary