Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:00 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times

Advertisements

I honestly don't even know why I bothered responding to this thread as obviously people are a) not allowed to have an opinion other than the one of the OP and b) I haven't been to the public library since I was 16 and honestly could care less. My original concern was the fact that of all of the complaints people have about Wake County, the fact that DVDs are not readily available is generating this much buzz. Holes in the rd, traffic, schools being overcrowded, 540 never being built, gas taxes, re-districting every semester and many other issues plague this county....not where to get a free DVD. Sorry but again, each of us have our own priorities. I again respect everyone's opinion they have as I have my own as well as my own definition of what I feel a library SHOULD contain as opposed to what I would LIKE to see it contain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 03:17 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I think all states and counties in those states struggle with similar issues regarding how best to spend their tax $$$. And certainly Wake is no different.

If having a world-class (or even statewide-class) library system is a priority then it's important to include as many media as possible including, yes, DVDs, music, movies as well as books, audiobooks, etc. Knowledge comes in many forms, as does entertainment. Sometimes they are mixed together and you are learning as much as being entertained.

Alas, there is no ONE right answer as to the optimum mix of books vs. other media, including movies, but it is important to consider the needs and desires of the local taxpayers and the community. There are many examples out there of how different library systems allocate their budget $$$. Some have more $$, some less, some a lot less. The policies of how to spend the money is at the control of the city library administrators. And frankly, some administrators personally object to media outside of books. That's just the way it is--there ARE personal biases in play.

The policies of how much money is in the budget in total is accomplished at the county level. Lots of library bonds are added and passed by other cities (I'm not referring to NC). I would hope that having great libraries (public libraries) here in Wake county would rank right up there and be considered an important part of this county's infrastructure and 'draw.' And I would hope that would include a wide variety and selection of media and distribution vehicles for that media.

And yes, we should have good roads too, as well as adequate police protection, etc. I don't think anyone is saying those things aren't as (or more) important.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:23 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
I don't care about the movies. One of my favorite things about the libraries in MA were the passes to local museums. It was something I used often to give my family an affordable educational experience. If I liked the museum I would buy a membership after using the pass from the library.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:24 PM

492 posts, read 1,151,612 times
If a family can afford a dvd player, then surely they can afford the dvds. Same deal with cds and a cd player. Why must the library have all those? For one, you'd never be able to control all the damage those items can incur, 2nd it would be a high theft item, 3rd how would the library find room to stock the many titles/genres that everyone wants? Its just a logistical nightmare. I don't think our tax dollars need to be spent providing all kinds of entertainment to everyone. Libraries are for reading materials. JMO

Old 07-07-2008, 04:46 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
If a family can afford a dvd player, then surely they can afford the dvds. Same deal with cds and a cd player. Why must the library have all those? For one, you'd never be able to control all the damage those items can incur, 2nd it would be a high theft item, 3rd how would the library find room to stock the many titles/genres that everyone wants? Its just a logistical nightmare. I don't think our tax dollars need to be spent providing all kinds of entertainment to everyone. Libraries are for reading materials. JMO
Well, you're making a dangerous logical leap there - remember, libraries also have viewing stations so patrons can view the A/V materials. Not everyone has Internet access, a DVD player, a CD player, etc, despite the fact that prices on these items have come down over the years. The digital divide is very real, but in communities where poverty is not so prevalent, its easy for us to forget this.

As for theft, that is a bad argument to make since books can be just as sought after (yet harder to copy) than CDs and DVDs. You don't think Harry Potter books would be stolen?

As for the stocking question.... its a library - where collections are stored and cataloged - its what they do and they have many storage methods. The methods of making space are not new to libraries - librarians continuously update their collections and make space for what is relevant and desired by the community.

The idea that libraries are only for reading materials is an outdated idea - this is why libraries today almost universally have more than books (I won't get into the fact that we are even being highly general with the term library, as there are many types). Microfiche in libraries has been around for decades, same with periodicals, audio recordings, maps, etc. With computers you gain access to electronic catalogs, e-Books, databases, etc. When you add to a library's collection, you add to its usefulness. Limiting it to one form of media is senseless.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
The regional libraries are very nice and well stocked with books and computers. The library lets you reserve a book online no matter where it's located and have it sent free to your preferred branch for pickup. Try one of the regionals if you want a better selection of books and journals.

It's much better than the libraries I used in NYC and New Orleans.

The Wake County Public Library is a decent system that is a good steward of tax money.

My apartment community has a free book/VHS/DVD library for residents.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:52 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
I love the Wake County Library System!! I think perhaps maybe they should stop trying to build a branch around every corner. Then maybe they would have the $$ to provide other media. We are very close to the new Holly Springs branch & a bond was approved last year to build one across the street from our neighborhood.

The library in Cary is a disgrace, imo. I was very disappointed with it when I went there the first time after having moved here from MA.

In MA I used to frequent the Oxford, MA Library. I loved that place. They have an "Early Learning Center" in the library for the children. It is filled with train tables, a play house, blocks, dress up clothes, puzzles, & all sorts of different toys. It was such a wonderful place to go with my daughter on a cold or rainy day. She loved going to the library. Getting books to bring home was just icing on the cake. So when I came here I was so very disappointed at how grown up the children's section is.

But I love how you can request books online & have them delivered to your library of choice. That is a fantastic feature! Love it. The library near me in Holly Springs also has a ton of computer terminals for internet usage. I think that's a cool feature.

I think that because Wake County is so rich the library doesn't need to provide us with DVDs. If we want to watch a movie we join Netflix, go to the Redbox, or wow even buy it at the store!

I think it would be great if the library offerred these things, but I don't consider it to be a great loss that they don't.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:59 PM

305 posts, read 713,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Holes in the rd, traffic, schools being overcrowded, 540 never being built, gas taxes, re-districting every semester and many other issues plague this county....not where to get a free DVD.
Agreed.

But just like the lack of media in Wake county libraries, most of the issues you mentioned above are further examples of how our tax dollars are not being properly spent (and probably even pocketed to some extent.)

Old 07-08-2008, 12:58 AM

305 posts, read 713,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Probably because it's a library and SHOULD have an emphasis on reading and not on music CDs and Movies on DVD. Go to Harris Teeter, spend the buck and get a movie from RedBox (you can even order online......)
These kind of responses are blowing me away. They just seem like they're given without the issue being thought all the way through.

Okay, fine....Go to Netflix, Redbox, ITunes, Home Depot, Red Robin and the Harris Teeter deli....The discs would constantly be stolen and damaged (although neither seems to be big enough of an issue to keep the thousands of other libraries from offering music and movies). Okay, fine.

But if a public library offering movies and music is such a useless concept, then please someone, anyone, feel free to explain to me why it is that the massive MAJORITY of library systems all across the United States *DO* feel the need to include music and movies in addition to their books (and in many cases, a very LARGE selection of music and movies are offered).

So why exactly would that be? Are all of these other libraries from coast to coast just being careless and wasting their resources on useless material? The other many, many counties in North Carolina...all of them just being stunningly stupid, eh?

I hardly think so. The fact is that Wake county is probably one of the very few counties of its size in 2008 America that is NOT yet offering music and movies to be checked out at their public libraries......and it is ridiculous.

In fact, it's almost as ridiculous as a tax-paying public that doesn't mind if their government deprives them of their deserved amenities.

Last edited by James Taylor; 07-08-2008 at 01:10 AM..

Old 07-08-2008, 03:31 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
These kind of responses are blowing me away. They just seem like they're given without the issue being thought all the way through.

Okay, fine....Go to Netflix, Redbox, ITunes, Home Depot, Red Robin and the Harris Teeter deli....The discs would constantly be stolen and damaged (although neither seems to be big enough of an issue to keep the thousands of other libraries from offering music and movies). Okay, fine.

But if a public library offering movies and music is such a useless concept, then please someone, anyone, feel free to explain to me why it is that the massive MAJORITY of library systems all across the United States *DO* feel the need to include music and movies in addition to their books (and in many cases, a very LARGE selection of music and movies are offered).

So why exactly would that be? Are all of these other libraries from coast to coast just being careless and wasting their resources on useless material? The other many, many counties in North Carolina...all of them just being stunningly stupid, eh?

I hardly think so. The fact is that Wake county is probably one of the very few counties of its size in 2008 America that is NOT yet offering music and movies to be checked out at their public libraries......and it is ridiculous.

In fact, it's almost as ridiculous as a tax-paying public that doesn't mind if their government deprives them of their deserved amenities.
Traditionally, Southern governments provide a lower level of public benefits and services than cities in other areas.

That's why taxes are lower and is one of the reasons people are flocking here to escape ridiculous property tax levies in other states.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary