Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 02:24 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,744 times

Advertisements

Hi again everybody! I have been asking alot of questions and thanks to all for the help and input.

Another thing we are concerned about due to what i read on these post boards is the Raleigh Schools being overcrowded, is this true? Is it so bad that children have to go to class in trailers instead of an actual normal classroom?

Here in LAs Vegas the schools are pretty crowded due to the growth, but they stopped the trailer thing a year ago.

Thanks ---T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 06:31 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
Hi again everybody! I have been asking alot of questions and thanks to all for the help and input.

Another thing we are concerned about due to what i read on these post boards is the Raleigh Schools being overcrowded, is this true? Is it so bad that children have to go to class in trailers instead of an actual normal classroom?

Here in LAs Vegas the schools are pretty crowded due to the growth, but they stopped the trailer thing a year ago.

Thanks ---T
Yes, the schools are crowded....not to dangerous levels yet (but it was getting there) and yes, most schools have trailer add-ons. Some more then others.

hese are actually very nice classrooms (at least at the school my daughter goes to). They are fully climate controlled, roomy, airy, with carpeting and handicap accessible.

Wake County recently passed a bond issue, so many new schools are going to be build (and more planned for) so the use of trailers should decrease.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:37 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,422 times
Actually, Wake County overall is pretty overcrowded...it's not limited to Raleigh.
In fact, the part of the county that lately has the least overcrowding, and the fewest reassignments/shuffles, is in the urban core of central Raleigh. That's because it's mostly already built, so there is no rampant influx of students every year making the schools more crowded. It's a much more gradual growth than the rest of the county.

For other counties in the Triangle region:
Johnston County is also experiencing growth pains. (Traditionally a rural county turning into a crowded suburban one in a very short amount of time.)
Durham County, Orange County and Chatham County have all three had way more gradual growth than Wake or Johnston. School crowding is so far has been a minor issue in those three.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:42 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Actually, Wake County overall is pretty overcrowded...it's not limited to Raleigh.
You know...I keep forgetting that most folks from other places don't realize that Wake is all one school system...not just the city of Raleigh. LOL.....just like I didn't a few years ago!

Old 01-17-2007, 08:00 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,446 times
Wake County's student population will surpass Charlotte/Mecklenburg this fall to become the largest to have the most students in the state. And 22nd? in the country. Amazing since Wake is considerably less in general population that Charlotte/Mecklenburg. The 7000-8000 new students a year of late is really playing havoc with the school system. Finally though it looks as if we will catch up a bit with the recent School bond that passed.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:07 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
That is incredible growth. I can't imagine what the school system is going through to try to accomodate such an influx of kids.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:12 AM

251 posts, read 1,142,885 times
A school bond to solve the problem?

But I thought the so-called "education" lottery was supposed to work miracles.

The government is a joke here so don't expect much. Lots of corruption and outright ignorance because people continue voting the same people into office or at least people holding to the same ideologies.

As CarolinaTrendSetter so correctly said - Wake County is getting 7-8,000 new students every year. Let's see, if one trailer squeezes in 25 kids, how many new trailers are needed per year? This is like playing Monopoly and seeing how many trailers you can put on a property while there is no free parking to be found.

If that doesn't bother you, then maybe this will: 2,000 of those 7,000 new students each year are undocumented because our state is one of the easiest for illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses in, along with other freebies.

On the news a while back they said on any given night in Wake County most of the drunk driver arrests are from illegals.

What's anyone doing about it?

Nothing.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:09 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post
A school bond to solve the problem?

But I thought the so-called "education" lottery was supposed to work miracles.

The government is a joke here so don't expect much. Lots of corruption and outright ignorance because people continue voting the same people into office or at least people holding to the same ideologies.

As CarolinaTrendSetter so correctly said - Wake County is getting 7-8,000 new students every year. Let's see, if one trailer squeezes in 25 kids, how many new trailers are needed per year? This is like playing Monopoly and seeing how many trailers you can put on a property while there is no free parking to be found.

If that doesn't bother you, then maybe this will: 2,000 of those 7,000 new students each year are undocumented because our state is one of the easiest for illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses in, along with other freebies.

On the news a while back they said on any given night in Wake County most of the drunk driver arrests are from illegals.

What's anyone doing about it?

Nothing.
Geeze....can we get any more negative?

Nobody claimed the education lottery was going to solve all school funding issues. That's just an outright lie being put out by the conservatives who are bitter at losing that fight, and are now trying to put a negative "I told you so" spin on the issue. I personally am glad that that money isn't flowing into Virginia anymore, and that's all I care about.

And I don't know what drunk driving illegal immigrants have anything to do with this debate. It just sounds like you're trying to find a scapegoat to all of our problems. Even if your 2,000 count is accurate, that still leaves 5,000-6,000 in 'legal' children that the county has to absorb. I'm not saying that illegal immigration isn't a problem, but lets not blame all of our problems on the 'foreigners'. That's just plain ignorant.

But I guess you're right....Raleigh is absolutely horrible. Horrible schools, horrible government, rampant corruption, ignorance.... That's why everyone is moving here I guess.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:21 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Quote:
But I guess you're right....Raleigh is absolutely horrible. Horrible schools, horrible government, rampant corruption, ignorance.... That's why everyone is moving here I guess
I'll agree with you that skipstone's argument and sarcasm was "tired" so to speak....but so is that one.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:18 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times
The last drunk driving death? Native teenagers
Illegals? A tricky issue. They are building all the new homes- cheap homes, townhomes, ritzy custom homes... So the contractors get cheap labor, I guess we pay less for the homes, someone has to pay down the line. We pay in increased taxes. Too bad someone does not find a way to get them "on the grid" to pay taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary