U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:36 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,828,136 times
I live off High House too and ride by frequently. At first, I thought the owners were having a gigantic yard sale! It really is funny. Is it an eyesore? Hmmmm....beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You can be sure they have no HOA!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 05:00 PM

551 posts, read 1,485,541 times
And people say Cary isn't diverse.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:13 PM

3,021 posts, read 7,213,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I'm assuming this was the cannon guy on High House?
Cannon guy? As in he owns a cannon?! That would be cool!

I have a friend who lives in Cary in a neighborhood with a strict HOA. And she owns ... a lawn ornament! Of a chicken! It's life size, so she can hide it in the bushes very easily. It's her private way of rebelling against the system.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:17 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,132,846 times
enjoying these comments . . . thanks!

Old 07-07-2008, 05:47 PM

8,256 posts, read 14,711,720 times
Nice to hear of a Bubba rebellion in Cary.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:16 PM

3,401 posts, read 5,862,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Cannon guy? As in he owns a cannon?! That would be cool!
My realtor told me he used to fire off the cannon at sporting events - not sure how long ago that was.

The house is quite eye catching for sure!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:33 PM

401 posts, read 1,040,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
My realtor told me he used to fire off the cannon at sporting events - not sure how long ago that was.

The house is quite eye catching for sure!
He used to fire the cannon at Apex football games when they would score. I don't know if he still uses it or not, haven't been to a high school event in several years. He used to hang out at Jack Rigsby's store (which used to be at the corner of High House and Davis. The store was torn down a couple of years ago to make way for the new stores that are at the corner now) and was quite the character.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:25 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,030,532 times
National Geographic did a story about Cary several years back and interviewed the guy, and he talks about the cannon.

Quote:
You just can't shoot your cannon off like you used to in Cary, bemoans Charles Dreher, Sr., a Civil War buff who owns a cherished artillery piece. "I fired it straight across the road up until ten or twelve years ago when they built the houses over there. I still fire it down High House Road now and then. But if I see headlights, I hold off."
Pearl Harbor: U.S.S. Arizona @ National Geographic Magazine

Old 07-08-2008, 04:09 AM

659 posts, read 154,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
And people say Cary isn't diverse.
My neighbors to my left are caucasian, to my right Italian, across the street African American, behind me Hispanic. We all get along just fine. In fact, I could not be more pleased with all my neighbors. From what I see, Cary is very diverse. I know the census data states something like 80% caucasian. I think the next census will show a more diverse community.

I've had a chat at a garage sale with the redneck home onwer. He is actually a nice guy although rather interesting.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:27 AM

8,256 posts, read 14,711,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
My neighbors to my left are caucasian, to my right Italian, across the street African American, behind me Hispanic. We all get along just fine. In fact, I could not be more pleased with all my neighbors. From what I see, Cary is very diverse. I know the census data states something like 80% caucasian. I think the next census will show a more diverse community.

I've had a chat at a garage sale with the redneck home onwer. He is actually a nice guy although rather interesting.
I like rednecks because they tell you how they feel instead of trying to please everyone. Even though I didn't agree with everything Jesse Helms said, I respected the late senator for his honesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary