Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:00 PM

6 posts, read 14,719 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to a better job market - my husband is in electrical estimating/project management -commercial/industrial and I am in the mental health/managed care/adjunct professor job field.

We are looking to relocate to the East Coast and always considered NC.

Can you tell me what the job market, housing market and climate is like? We would have a high school age daughter and many pets as well....any advice or direction would be helpful.

Boise is quite nice, but the job market is slim and non if you are not high tech or medical such as a nurse or PT/OT.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 04:22 PM

314 posts, read 1,037,002 times
Housing market is great relative to the rest of the country and the health jobs are also great in this area. Lots of malls and safe area for your daughter.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:06 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livesnboise View Post
We are looking to relocate to a better job market - my husband is in electrical estimating/project management -commercial/industrial and I am in the mental health/managed care/adjunct professor job field.

We are looking to relocate to the East Coast and always considered NC.

Can you tell me what the job market, housing market and climate is like? We would have a high school age daughter and many pets as well....any advice or direction would be helpful.

Boise is quite nice, but the job market is slim and non if you are not high tech or medical such as a nurse or PT/OT.

Thanks in advance!!
We moved from Portland, Or to Durham last summer. While I can't really comment on specifics of your fields and work, I can give you a general idea of the climate. The Triangle gets only an occassional snow, every few years. And the summers are humid and hot. I grew up in Eastern NC but lived on the west coast for 20 years. This is my second summer back in NC and I'm still having a hard time with the heat and humidity. BUT the winters are great. You'll probably find them to be mild. My kids played outside everyday this past winter except for the few really windy days.

It feels more green here than Boise ever did to me. But here we don't have those breath taking vistas from the canyons around the Snake River. Snow skiing exsist here but there is no comparison to Sun Valley.

Sometimes I miss being able to drive an hour and being literally in the middle of no where and not seeing another soul. Here you can't throw a rock without hitting another little town.

It is much more racially diverse here. Here in the Triangle with so many Universities you will meet people from all over the world. I love that about my neighborhood. Education is also valued and supported by the state here. There are many universities and colleges.... this may help you in finding a job.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 07-07-2008, 10:43 PM

Thank you so very much for your quick reply- it really helps us sort thru all the details and what if's...it is like having friends already in place!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:09 AM

305 posts, read 713,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livesnboise View Post
What is it like in Durham/raliegh?
It's nothing like Boise.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
Compared to Boise, you'll find much better diversified employment opportunities. This is one reason that I think the Triangle has fared better than some other areas. I have friends in Boise and personally love it there, however when HP &/or Micron sneezes, the entire Boise area catches a cold. We do have a few large dominant employers, however there are so many small-to-medium sized companies & institutions that the "sneezes" aren't nearly as lethal.

The biggest weather adjustment for you will be humidity, rain & a persistent summer. Summer in Boise is hot, but short-lived relative to summer in NC, which seems to start in early-May and not end until October.

You'll love being close to some great beaches (with warm water no less) but will likely miss the close proximity to mountains like you have with the Boise Front right at your doorstep. Mountain biking here is slow and methodical, with lots of up and down and dodging roots and trees, rather than a steady climb followed by a fast descent. There are outdoor recreation opportunities all around, but IMO they pale in comparison to what you currently have in Boise.

There will certainly be a period of adjustment. It took me a while to adjust back to life in NC after living in Flagstaff & Fort Collins, but after a while I learned to make the most of it and enjoy NC for what it is...and what it provides for me and my family - namely better career opportunities and job security than we had out west.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2008, 10:54 AM

Thank you for the insight- we are both from Southern CA so heat/long summers are normal. I know the humidity will be a factor, but sounds like so many others great things off set the adjustment...AC & pools or water go a long way! You are so right about the sneezes in Boise. Are you aware of a resource to locate electrical contractors for possible employment as an estimator, project managers,etc?

Thanks, Liz

Old 07-08-2008, 12:07 PM

584 posts, read 2,423,393 times
FWIW, if you do get serious about moving here, I might be able to pass along some leads for electrical estimator for your husband. I was an HVAC estimator for 10 years and still have some contacts.

Heck, if you buy our house that's for sale I'll take him around to the people myself! Just kidding....well, not really, but I'll help even if you don't want our house!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:19 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,810 times
It all depends on what you love about where you live. Are you close to family? Do you love the mountains? Raleigh has rolling hills, but no mountains! (though the mountains on the other end of the state are cute compared to the rockies! ) We do have beaches and cities and mountains within a reasonable drive.

I have found that it will take about 2 years to feel settled, no matter where you go, so figure that into the equation. For your daughter, no better time than high school to get her residency going if she wants to attend any of the excellent schools in NC. UNC chapel Hill, for all its basketball fame and excellent academics, remains a spectacular value for in-state applicants.

Jobs-wise, the triangle is suffering from the economic slowdown like the rest of the country, but IMO, not as dramatically. Look on craigslist, linkedIn, and other reputable sites that list actual jobs, tap into your network, and see what's real and available. There are definitely jobs here that fit your talents.

There's plenty to do, the heat is as oppressive as the cold from NY, in my opinion, I really dislike going outside when you need a sweatband across your boobs just to get the mail. the heat isn't bad, it's the stinkin' humidity.

HTH!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:35 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,106 times
It seems like we rarely get to see sunrises & sunsets in Raleigh. one thing I didn't realize in living in the plains is that it is pretty flat, and rarely to you get to see the horizon over the trees -- so, your view is blocked by trees and buildings unless you are fortunate to be near a large open field or farm. We have lots of tall pines here. The growing season is quite extended so most folks like small yards otherwise maintenance takes over your weekends instead of other fun stuff. With that said, we are also fortunate to have coastal area, plains and mountains so you can visit/live in diverse areas in the same state.

With your daughter, you might want to pick a high school, then try to move into the area that goes to that high school...also, know that wake county is fast growing so your designated school may change...so it is a good idea to look at what high schools will be opening/built in the next 3-4 years so you can figure out your chances of getting moved to a different high school. The other odd thing that wake county is doing, is creating 9th grade centers at a separate location or on-site in trailers to make room for more kids at the high school. It might be a great facility, then your child won't actually go to it for a year or so. wake school info is at: Wake County Public School System ... there are TONS of threads debating the schools in the various counties in the RTP area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary