U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:19 AM

29 posts, read 52,257 times
Gol' durn fancy restaurants. YOU CAN'T BE A CITY IF YOU HAVE FANCY RESTAURANTS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 10:26 AM

16,623 posts, read 13,527,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I can get from one side of wilmington to the other side in 10 minutes by foot.
well, people walk at ~3mph.

Wilmington is about 8 miles wide as the crow flies, from downtown bridge to wrightsville bridge.

so you're talking a shade under 3 hours. not quite 10 minutes, but close.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 806 times
Default Hello

What we hate is the opposite, most Raleigh denizens are very thin skinned when it comes to anything negative about their city, while most other places will help you in your verbal diatribe. It seems as though people who love it here and hate it somewhere else can't understand the other side.

In essence, the buildings don't make a city, it's the people of that city. A huge swarth of people move here for the low cost of living and the low wages, I see and talk to them everyday. Most of the people don't even want to go downtown. I disagree with a previous poster who said that they don't know what's going on, they just choose not to go. It seems there is a huge disconnect in Raleigh between the majority and the minority.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 806 times
I take it back, I have visited Rocky Mount and they wouldn't say that. Other than a bigger population and more retail, Raleigh is the same in attitude and people. They both are just as "Progressive"

Old 03-17-2010, 12:54 PM

9,053 posts, read 18,102,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afbrother View Post
A huge swarth of people move here for the low cost of living and the low wages.
So, you actually know people who moved here seeking out low wages? Really? Why does somebody actively seek out a low wage? That doesn't make much sense.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:06 PM

2,082 posts, read 4,974,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afbrother View Post
What we hate is the opposite, most Raleigh denizens are very thin skinned when it comes to anything negative about their city, while most other places will help you in your verbal diatribe.
Not sure what you're getting at. So you're saying in most other places, people just sit around b*tching about their cities? To me, it's a good thing when people generally LIKE the place they live. But maybe it's opposite day and nobody told me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary