Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 03:21 PM

475 posts, read 1,575,536 times

Advertisements

Son is tracked out currently and is with Kids R Kids Morrisville, where they do very general stuff. So, I thought I would explore some other camps or track out programs which could be educational. A friend referred me to Mathnasium and I spoke with the woman there and went there to check it out and planned to send him there next week for a week to see how he would like it.
It was a completely chaotic atmosphere. There were about 12 kids or so, and only one person keeping an eye on them. Things looked unorganized, it seemed as the kids were doing whatever they wanted to do without any structure. The woman there asked one of the kids to have the others do push-ups while she spoke to us. Went into the office to talk with us but obviously since the kids did not have anyone else to be with them, kept on coming over to ask if they could do this or do that. I asked her if she is the only one taking care of the kids and she said that her assistant was not feeling well, so she had to leave.
Also, my son IS small for his age, and as we were leaving, she told me "he is very small". I am not sensitive about it, gotten used to it, but was surprised that an educator would make a comment like that in front of the child, who then turns and asks me "is she asking about ( my younger son)"? Oh well...
Can someone give me an opinion about them? I went to the Cary one, does anyone know how the Brier Creek location is? I basically left telling her I might put him in for the October track out program, since I wanted to search for reviews and decide what to do. I am already paying $185 per week to hold his spot for Kids r Kids for the early drop off/late pick up program, and am still willing to pay the additional $250 per week if this is worth it, but at this point, really not sure.
Thanks for any opinions,

D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by des1rees View Post
Son is tracked out currently and is with Kids R Kids Morrisville, where they do very general stuff. So, I thought I would explore some other camps or track out programs which could be educational. A friend referred me to Mathnasium and I spoke with the woman there and went there to check it out and planned to send him there next week for a week to see how he would like it.
It was a completely chaotic atmosphere. There were about 12 kids or so, and only one person keeping an eye on them. Things looked unorganized, it seemed as the kids were doing whatever they wanted to do without any structure. The woman there asked one of the kids to have the others do push-ups while she spoke to us. Went into the office to talk with us but obviously since the kids did not have anyone else to be with them, kept on coming over to ask if they could do this or do that. I asked her if she is the only one taking care of the kids and she said that her assistant was not feeling well, so she had to leave.
Also, my son IS small for his age, and as we were leaving, she told me "he is very small". I am not sensitive about it, gotten used to it, but was surprised that an educator would make a comment like that in front of the child, who then turns and asks me "is she asking about ( my younger son)"? Oh well...
Can someone give me an opinion about them? I went to the Cary one, does anyone know how the Brier Creek location is? I basically left telling her I might put him in for the October track out program, since I wanted to search for reviews and decide what to do. I am already paying $185 per week to hold his spot for Kids r Kids for the early drop off/late pick up program, and am still willing to pay the additional $250 per week if this is worth it, but at this point, really not sure.
Thanks for any opinions,

D.
No one?

Old 07-12-2008, 12:49 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
I don't know anything about them, but I'd trust your instincts.

There are a lot of other track out opportunities in this area. Carolina Parent has a good list here: CarolinaParent.com - The Triangle's Print and Online Family Resource (scroll down and search directories with category "Track Out.")

Old 07-12-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
I don't know anything about them, but I'd trust your instincts.

There are a lot of other track out opportunities in this area. Carolina Parent has a good list here: CarolinaParent.com - The Triangle's Print and Online Family Resource (scroll down and search directories with category "Track Out.")
Thanks, I will check out the link.

D

Old 07-13-2008, 01:36 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
We sent my brother-in-law there to get some help with Geometry last year, and liked it, but it was not camp. This was just some extra help during the evenings, and on the weekend.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 14,728 times
Thumbs down Complete chaos

No structure too many kids , they were even walking in and out without notice.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:13 AM

16 posts, read 72,204 times
The Mathnasium in Cary was a lot better a few years ago...the original owners were really sweet people and very good with kids. Not so much with the new lady, my daughter didn't like her much (she loved the original owners). We quit shortly afterwards the owners switched. I"ve found an individual math tutor in Cary and now go to him. It's much better, no crowds, no chaos, and he's certainly a nice guy. His website is: Math with Larry - Free Online Math Homework Help, Cary Raleigh Tutoring, Questions Answered, Problems Solved, Education Editorials

Good luck

Old 07-18-2008, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the name, will check it out.

D

Old 12-06-2008, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 14,439 times
Wink My daughters favorite camp

We have sent my daughter there for several track outs. This is absolutely her favorite camp. She has progressed tremendously in Math and is very self assured due to this experience. In addition to the math they try to make the camp fun with field trips to musuems and bowling.

I have never had any concerns with safety. They sign my child in and out and typically have 2 to 3 instructors present. The camp directors truly seem to care about the children.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 14,368 times
Default Best Science and Math Camp in the Triangle Area

I have sent my son to the Science and Math camp at Mathnasium of Cary for last 2 summers for several weeks. I feel that this is the best camp in the triangle area. My son would not want to go to any other camp. We are very happy with the camp.

All the teachers are highly educated and care about the campers and the program. They are the most dedicated teachers I have seen. My son has learned a lot in Math and Science. He started loving Math after he attended the camp. Kids are crazy about this camp because they learn while having lot of fun. So, our experience is very positive.

At the Cary center, they have 1:4 ratio for math sessions, which is much better than any public school. They do lot of hands on experiments during Science sessions every day. Outdoor activities like tennis, swimming and bowling are part of the program.

You must have caught them on one single bad day in last two years. I have seen this program grow for last two years. I am very pleased with the program. Hope, you give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary