U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 08:38 AM

4 posts, read 5,440 times

Advertisements

Hello, we will be moving to Cary soon and I have a question about the tracks in elem school (going to Green Hope). We will be moving sometime between August 22-Sept 6... We have flexibility in our move date, so I am wondering if there is any difference there and if we should move at a certain date. I'm trying to determine if the move date in that time frame matters in respect to starting a new track. I've been to the WCPSS site and I've see the calender, but all the tracks start in July. Anyone here start mid-track and how was u're child placed? Is there a policy or more just where there's space...I have not registered my child yet because we will be in corporate temp. housing and we are not assigned to that exact address for a few more weeks, hence I can't register. I plan on calling the wcpss soon, just would appreciate some feedback on your experience if you are so inclined. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 08:53 AM

8,272 posts, read 22,359,317 times
I am not in YR school but have several friends who are and I believe the school will place you wherever they have room. If you have multiple children in YR school, they'll place you on a track where all of your kids can be on the same track.
You can call the school or email them and ask because in YR schools, the principals are the ones who make track assignments. They may be able to tell you what your likely scenario would be.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:19 AM

334 posts, read 876,364 times
Keep in mind as of right now you cannot be FORCED to attend a Y/R school. So, if the node you wind up in is slotted to go to a Y/R school, and you don't want to attend, you need to tell WCPSS that you want to opt out. They MUST grant you a trad calendar seat.

As far as I know, Y/R schools have their tracks assigned by principal, and the principal will likely give you a track that A) has room and B) works with your move date to try to make sure your child isn't too far behind the class.

Good Luck!

Old 07-12-2008, 02:08 PM

306 posts, read 634,066 times
We moved here not only in the middle of a school year, but in the middle of the track that my kids were assigned to. But there were no problems. We chose to do YR instead of the traditional one that we were assigned. We just contacted the YR school, filled out some paperwork and that was all.
All the grades "move up" to the next in July, so that's what you're seeing on the website. Everyone got the week of July 4th off, and those that were "tracked in" went back to school the following week in their new grade (ex Track 1, 2, or 3). Anyone "tracked out" is out until they are scheduled to go back later in the month (ex Track 4). Someone is always "tracked out" with a year round schedule. It just depends on what track you get. Good luck and FWIW, I like the YR school system.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:05 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,696,447 times
Ditto what everyone else said. Also, if you have a contract on a house, you can show it as proof and go ahead and register your child.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:14 PM

1,234 posts, read 3,294,854 times
Track 4 starts July 28th through September 26

Track 3 goes on track out July 28 - August 15

Track 2 goes on track out August 18 - September 5

Track 1 goes on track out Sept 8 - September 26

Remember Track 1, 2 and 3 have already started their first semester. Track 4 will start their first semester on July 28.

Yes as long as you have a contract with the address of your new place of residence, you can call WCPSS and start the registration process. You may even want to get the children's shots and exams if needed before your move, just get the form from the website or school.

You may even get a chance to meet your teachers and tour the school before "moving" and find out what the children are missing so they don't miss much.

Good luck and welcome to NC

Old 07-12-2008, 08:40 PM

2,135 posts, read 6,950,537 times
I dealt with this: Transplant student missing class - year round classes already started

It all worked out fine. My daughter ended up on Track 1. She jumped right in and caught up.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:44 AM

4 posts, read 5,440 times
thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or