Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 12:50 PM

140 posts, read 1,654,002 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are going to visit Total Wine (Wake Forest) a few hours from now (2008.7.12 2:41 PM) while our wives are shopping elsewhere.

I would love a few suggestions for a white wine that might be a tasty wine for a decent price. Something like $6-$10.

I like the reds, but my wife likes the whites, so it's mainly for her and her friend. They like wines like White Zin and a sweet Reisling. We had a Selbach Reisling that was excellent, so we know we like that one.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 01:17 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
I would ask the fine folk who work @ Total Wine. That's their expertise---to direct you to the wine(s) you might like, in your price range.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:07 PM

12 posts, read 28,648 times
Default In that price range, I'd try Trader Joe's

I like their Black Mountain Cabernet. It's a splurge at $5.99 in comparison to the Charles Shaw ("two-buck Chuck"), but I like it a lot better.

Good luck with your quest.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:44 PM

550 posts, read 1,486,872 times
I do not recommend getting recommendations from the folks at Total Wine. They're not very knowledgeable about wines, IMO. Also ignore Total Wine's top 20 or whatever other gimmick they have going to steer you toward or away from certain wines. I don't know what the criteria is to get their recommendation, but good taste isn't it.

I looked up wines under $10 on Consumer reports and they recommend the following:

For Chardonnay: Alamos (Argentina) or Stone Cellars by Beringer (CA).
For Pinot Grigio: Hogue (Columbia Valley, WA) or McManis Family Vineyards (CA)
For Riesling: Covey Run (Columbia Valley, WA)

Old 07-12-2008, 03:51 PM

413 posts, read 1,254,959 times
If you have to go to Total Wine (and I'm probably too late for you today...sorry!), I would go with an Austrian white called Gruner Veltliner. It's an undiscovered gem of a wine, not too sweet but refreshing. It was at least reasonably priced last time I bought (about $8/bottle). I would agree with the other poster also about not asking the Total Wine people. You have to be really careful, and from what I understand (from wine stewards all around) Total Wine is like the Sam's Clubs of wines and beer...or worse...like Walmart. They don't pay their people well and put a lot of expectations to meet goals= high stress; therefore they don't usually get really knowledgable people. Plus their gimmicks are to push certain products at different times for the best revenue sources--for their pockets, not ours.

I have much preferred going to smaller wine stores (Chapel Hill and Hillsborough Wine Companies to name 2) for truly knowledgable people. And even my local Harris Teeter wine guy is more knowledgable.

As I am a few hours late, hopefully this will be good "food for thought" for future purchases. Hope you found a good wine for this time!

Old 07-12-2008, 05:19 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,963,211 times
my personal fave: Nobilo Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Great reviews and around $10. I'm really a wine newbie but had this at a tasting and googled later.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:09 AM

For the sake of completeness, I'll report on what we chose. We wanted it already-chilled, so we were a bit limited in the selection.

We chose a Washington Hills Reisling, and it went for around $10 or so.

I must say that it is extremely smooth and sweet. Perhaps too much for me. But I think it would be a great starter wine for someone who is just trying wine for the first time, or just for folks who like a wine with low acidity. I'm no wine critic, but that much I can say.

Selbach also makes a good Reisling, which I like a little better (not as sweet, and maybe a deeper flavor).

Old 07-14-2008, 11:10 AM

Oh, and the only person we ran into that worked there was more of a cashier-type, and I'm sure would not have been a good "recommender." But I have met a few folks there who I would trust to give me good advice.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:55 AM

18 posts, read 64,178 times
I'm a little late on this, but my wife who doesn't like wine generally, really likes Chateau St. Michelle Chardonnay. It's typically around $14

Old 07-15-2008, 08:36 AM

113 posts, read 436,566 times
Several of the wines mentioned in this thread are available at Costco. But when I want a recommendation - or I'm stocking up on a case - I go to Seaboard Wine Warehouse or the Wine Merchant (Ridgewood or Cary Preston). As much as possible, I like to support my local independent retailers.

Oh - and the prices are usually just as competitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary