Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:18 PM

673 posts, read 2,260,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneOfThis View Post
I just wanted to pop in and say that I did a drive-by of Grandale the other day out of curiosity after reading CD threads, and I was impressed. What a beautiful neighborhood! Perhaps it was the spring buds, but the look hit me just right. I hope you guys enjoy your new homes there!
Thank you, and ditto what amcjap said. We really do enjoy our neighborhood, and we enjoy our street and our neighbors. And of COURSE we love our house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,099,647 times
No problems on our block either.

Hope you had a nice Easter Addie. Walked by with the boys but didn't see anyone.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:27 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,676,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanawan View Post
Anyone here with significant drainage issues around their lots? All of my neighbors have problems with water just standing in the swales around their houses. I've emailed our field manager a few times and he says he's "working on it" but those of you who haven't closed on your houses, make sure that they deal with any drainage issues you might have before you close. I'm thinking specifically of sena and chemteacher but there may be others who are building that I don't know about.
If there is still construction happening on the lots adjacent to yours, you may need to wait until those areas are completed, and have grass to stabilize the run off and absorb any additional water.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:33 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,457,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanawan View Post
Anyone here with significant drainage issues around their lots? All of my neighbors have problems with water just standing in the swales around their houses. I've emailed our field manager a few times and he says he's "working on it" but those of you who haven't closed on your houses, make sure that they deal with any drainage issues you might have before you close. I'm thinking specifically of sena and chemteacher but there may be others who are building that I don't know about.
Sammy,

When I talked to Brant (the original field manager) he said because my house is on the downside of a hill, I actually have great natural drainage. I decided to check out some of the lots after rains and noticed the house at the very end of Lyon Farm Dr (lot 199) had a lot of standing water, as did some of the other lots next to it (lots 206 to 200). I don't know if it's because they're at the bottom of the hill, or what.

I haven't had the pleasure of speaking to some of my neighbors about the snakes, but I am totally bummed about it. While Sammy's (cute) son is curious, my 15-year-old daughter actually wants to catch a snake and keep it as a pet. I know she says this stuff to get on my nerves and I must say it works quite well!

Also, Sammy, I think the new floor plan is the Edenton and they're building one on lot 150 (the next to the last house on Gathering Place and Fenwick). I can't wit for it to be finished, because I want to see if it's as big as it looks on the website (Centex Homes - Plan).

Calvitts, I hope I don't have snakes, but if you found one, then I'm sure the chances of me finding one are greater. Gosh, one more thing to worry about (other than my car not fitting in the garage)!

They've started the framing on my house and it looks like they're almost finished with the first floor. I'm so excited! I have a lot more yard than I ever imagined, so now I have to figure out what to do, landscaping-wise with the back (past the 25 ft they'll put down sod).

Old 04-16-2009, 09:31 PM

426 posts, read 1,451,108 times
My sister-in-law has decided to build an Edenton on lot 151, next to the inventory Edenton they're putting up right now. My wife and I walked through it and it's a very nice floorplan. I'm not sure how "big" it is, but it's got lots of good storage and quite a few living areas.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:47 AM

I was out last night taking pictures of my house and almost went into the Edenton. It's a little over 3,000 sq ft and has the 3rd floor that can be converted (like the Deauville) into a media area. I was going to go in, but the workers were there and I didn't want to get in their way. I will be out there either tomorrow or Sunday and I will definitely look at it. They introduced that plan after I'd signed the contract on my house, so it wasn't an option, but I still like to check it out.

I think they were putting furniture in the new model home (right next to the parking lot), because there was a Budget rental truck backed up to it when I left last night. I've been in that one and think the first floor is a little small, but the second floor is a really nice size. I'm not a fan of the loft area, but it works.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 PM

426 posts, read 1,451,108 times
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the Wynfield, either. The kitchen is kind of ridiculously small for a $300k house. It felt like the apartment kitchen we had when we lived at the Lodge!

The Edenton is a really nice floor plan - a tandem 3 car garage, mudroom, optional 3rd floor game room and lots of storage. It would have been more house than we needed but if it were available when we signed, we would have considered it, as well. We signed the papers yesterday. I've bought 2 houses in 10 months! Wow.

On another note, they're going to be putting in french drains around our lot on Thursday if the weather cooperates.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 PM

I was out again tonight and they were putting in the plumbing!

I walked around the Edenton that is going up on lot 150 and it is rather large. The only thing I don't like about it is the master closet is in the bathroom and the breakfast area looks a little small.

The houses are going up quick; there have been 5 contracts signed this month already!

Sammy, congrats on the french drains. Water on the property can be a real bummer, especially since it can cause so much damage. My next door neighbors had an irrigation system installed last week. I applaud their efforts, but I wonder if it's worth it with the water restrictions. I'll have to see if I go that route. It depends on how expensive it is.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:52 AM

673 posts, read 2,260,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
I walked around the Edenton that is going up on lot 150 and it is rather large. The only thing I don't like about it is the master closet is in the bathroom and the breakfast area looks a little small.
Sena, I was not a fan of the master closet in the bathroom (actually, access to the master closet is through the master bathroom) when we bought our house (which includes this feature). However, I have to say I just love it now! It makes a big difference, of course, if you have a separate water closet for the toilet, which our bathroom does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
My next door neighbors had an irrigation system installed last week. I applaud their efforts, but I wonder if it's worth it with the water restrictions. I'll have to see if I go that route. It depends on how expensive it is.
This is also our first home with an irrigation system, and hubby and I LOVE it! Even with the water restrictions -- we are currently allowed to water on Wednesdays and Saturdays -- we can set the timers to run as little or as long as necessary, and we can designate what zones we want watered if we do not want to water the entire yard. Hubby and I both believe the irrigation system was money well spent. We spent many a year dragging a hose and a sprinkler around the yard -- no more of that!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
Sena, I was not a fan of the master closet in the bathroom (actually, access to the master closet is through the master bathroom) when we bought our house (which includes this feature). However, I have to say I just love it now! It makes a big difference, of course, if you have a separate water closet for the toilet, which our bathroom does.

This is also our first home with an irrigation system, and hubby and I LOVE it! Even with the water restrictions -- we are currently allowed to water on Wednesdays and Saturdays -- we can set the timers to run as little or as long as necessary, and we can designate what zones we want watered if we do not want to water the entire yard. Hubby and I both believe the irrigation system was money well spent. We spent many a year dragging a hose and a sprinkler around the yard -- no more of that!
Addie,

My last house had the closet through the bathroom, but no water closet, so maybe my distaste for it stems from that. Well, that and the fact the steam would collect in my closet if I didn't leave the bathroom door open and I'd have moisture in my clothes (I had a bath/shower combo, not each separate). My routine became to closet the closet door tight, take a shower, leave bathroom door open, open a window in bedroom. Then, after I let the steam out, I had to open the closet door, so air could get in. Keep in mind the fan was running from the time I decided to take the shower until 20 minutes after (or longer if I was late getting up). Maybe one day I'll go back to a closet in the master bath, but for right now, I need to take a breather.

I think I'll go ahead and start pricing the irrigation system. I sometimes have nightmares about moving that darn hose and sprinkler around the yard, and I didn't have a big yard! Anything to make my life easier is good for me. I'm afraid of bugs (some of the stuff here I've never seen before!), so if I don't have to wrestle with a hose while trying to fan at some dangerous-looking bug, my life will go much, much smoother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary