Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:13 AM

34 posts, read 71,827 times

Advertisements

I am from Long Island and am seriously thinking of moving to the RTP area. I graduated from NC State not too long ago but then moved back to Long Island...so I know the area a little bit, i just dont know neighborhoods very well. I know that a lot of people from up north move to the Centralized Area for Relocating Yankees (CARY). Like any town/city, I assume there are desireable and not so desireable areas in Cary. I dont know much about Apex, Morrisville, Holly Springs, or the other nearby areas...but I am curious. I need some help narrowing my search for a neighborhood. Here are some of my desires, maybe someone who reads this can point me in the right direction/area?? I am willing to purchase a home in the $350,000-$450,000 value. I prefer an area of young families with children (my wife and I have 2 under the age of 4 yrs). Obviously, I am looking for the best public schools. I dont want to live next to a highway, train tracks, or busy street. Looking for some privacy, but an active community.

If you really know Cary well and want to rank the top 3-4 neighborhoods, that would be great as well.

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, pointers, etc. please respond to this post or email me at javitale@optonline.net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 09:17 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,676,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamela View Post
I am from Long Island and am seriously thinking of moving to the RTP area. I graduated from NC State not too long ago but then moved back to Long Island...so I know the area a little bit, i just dont know neighborhoods very well. I know that a lot of people from up north move to the Centralized Area for Relocating Yankees (CARY). Like any town/city, I assume there are desireable and not so desireable areas in Cary. I dont know much about Apex, Morrisville, Holly Springs, or the other nearby areas...but I am curious. I need some help narrowing my search for a neighborhood. Here are some of my desires, maybe someone who reads this can point me in the right direction/area?? I am willing to purchase a home in the $350,000-$450,000 value. I prefer an area of young families with children (my wife and I have 2 under the age of 4 yrs). Obviously, I am looking for the best public schools. I dont want to live next to a highway, train tracks, or busy street. Looking for some privacy, but an active community.

If you really know Cary well and want to rank the top 3-4 neighborhoods, that would be great as well.

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, pointers, etc. please respond to this post or email me at javitale@optonline.net.
You'll be limited to West Cary to be pretty much assured access to the best schools. The school situation in Central and South Cary is a little more questionable, IMO. Are you looking for a pool neighborhood? If so, do you also want a swim team neighborhood? Do you care about the age of the house?

What about Riggsbee Farm or Wellsley? Both are great locations with pools and excellent schools.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:22 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,012,878 times
I'd consider other areas in addition to Cary - with your price range, you have the ability to find a nice community/home in Cary, North Raleigh, SW Durham, and throw in maybe Apex depending on your stomach for a commute.

I would say don't limit yourself to Cary, though...

Are you looking for new or old? That could make a big difference as well.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:23 AM

thank you for your quick reply. I'm not sure what a pool neighborhood means. I assume it means the neighborhood shares a commons area with a pool. Although my kids are probably too young now for swim team, it will encourage it since I was on my neighborhood swim team when growing up. It was great. Also, I dont Riggsbee or Wellsley at all. I truly do not know anything other than that Cary lies just west of Raleigh and highly desireable by northeaesterners relocating.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
I'd consider other areas in addition to Cary - with your price range, you have the ability to find a nice community/home in Cary, North Raleigh, SW Durham, and throw in maybe Apex depending on your stomach for a commute.

I would say don't limit yourself to Cary, though...

Are you looking for new or old? That could make a big difference as well.

My definition of new includes a home up to 15 yrs old. Is Apex supposed to be nicer than Cary? By the way, communte time is not an issue for considering I am used to the Long Island Expressway. I cant imagine a communte anywhere being worse than that.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
thank you for your quick reply. I'm not sure what a pool neighborhood means. I assume it means the neighborhood shares a commons area with a pool. Although my kids are probably too young now for swim team, it will encourage it since I was on my neighborhood swim team when growing up. It was great. Also, I dont Riggsbee or Wellsley at all. I truly do not know anything other than that Cary lies just west of Raleigh and highly desireable by northeaesterners relocating.

A lot of neighborhoods in the Triangle have community pools. You pay for it with your HOA dues. Some are lap pools with lifeguards and swim teams. Believe it or not, a lot of children join swim team by 5. We lived in a neighborhood that had a pool but we didn't have a lifeguard and it wasn't a lap pool, so no swim team. The pool is really a great way to socialize in the summer.

You may want to use Fonville Morrisey's website (I'd post it, but I think it violates TOS) and you can search by subdivision so as people offer recommendations, you can get a feel for what they're talking about. Also, google has street view on maps for many neighborhoods, so you can get a feel for the neighborhood.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
My definition of new includes a home up to 15 yrs old. Is Apex supposed to be nicer than Cary? By the way, communte time is not an issue for considering I am used to the Long Island Expressway. I cant imagine a communte anywhere being worse than that.
Apex is a little smaller. They're both very nice. Apex has a nice older downtown. Both have great schools.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:32 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,171,837 times
Just doing a quick seach in Cary, including South Cary, using your price as criteria, gives over 250 choices! As you can see, narrowing it down will help you!

If you are going to work at RTP, I'd suggest Cary or North Raleigh. And...Wake Forest is also getting it's fair share of those relocating from up North! I guess we'll have to come up with something for Wake Forest that is similar to the Cary (Central Area Relocating Yankees), although I still love my Can't Afford Raleigh Yet (Cary)!!!

Vicki

Old 07-14-2008, 09:32 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,012,878 times
Quote:
You can say commute time is not an issue all you want, but I promise you that will change when you are here - not that commutes are bad, but I came from LA and am familiar with the 1 hour 10 mile commute....yet still when deciding on homes the one that was 10 minutes from the office was a big advantage over the one that was 25 minutes.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
A lot of neighborhoods in the Triangle have community pools. You pay for it with your HOA dues. Some are lap pools with lifeguards and swim teams. Believe it or not, a lot of children join swim team by 5. We lived in a neighborhood that had a pool but we didn't have a lifeguard and it wasn't a lap pool, so no swim team. The pool is really a great way to socialize in the summer.

You may want to use Fonville Morrisey's website (I'd post it, but I think it violates TOS) and you can search by subdivision so as people offer recommendations, you can get a feel for what they're talking about. Also, google has street view on maps for many neighborhoods, so you can get a feel for the neighborhood.

Thanks again. It's funny, I have been to their website and it has been helpful. I'll bookmark it and continue my due dilligence. If yo have any further ideas or suggestions, please feel free to let me know. thank you so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary