U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2008, 10:52 AM

551 posts, read 166,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
To me this is why the Raleigh/Cary area offers such little appeal as a relocation destination.
As Cary is ranked as the 5th fastest growing city in America, the claim that it has little appeal for relocators is completely false. Obviously we are a hot spot, have been for years and it keeps getting better. Me thinks ye is trying to get people going for the sport of it.

newsobserver.com | Cary is ranked 5th in growth (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/wake/cary/story/1136652.html - broken link)

Now contrast this with Kingston and WOW!!! According to the stats, Kingston is about the last place on the planet that people want to be. The income level there is ridiculously low. Most people are poverty stricken. Do they actually have any jobs there? The home values are awful. And what is with zero diversity. According to the stats, it is 96.4% white!!!

http://www.city-data.com/city/Kingst...nsylvania.html

Kingston - NO THANK YOU!!!

Cary - Heaven on Earth
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 10:52 AM

7,455 posts, read 14,627,220 times
You can go to the Town of Cary webiste to read up on all of the current and future projects, when they are going to start and how much progress has been made.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
The fact that people from Cary describe that downtown area as "dirty" really gives you a feel for their um, preferences.

Yes, it does. That is what I don't understand. Some people keep trying to force feed Cary residents some alternate way of living that we don't want. If we wanted to live in a city's downtown, we would have moved there. What most Cary residents like is a less congested, more country feel, more well kept, more family friendly town with lot's of amenities, walking trails, shops and restaurants. We have that here. Why is that so hard for city people to accept?

Old 07-26-2008, 11:11 AM

19,602 posts, read 31,172,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Not trying to start a debate, genuinely curious: There was a dust-up earlier this year about Cary leaders talking about how to add the next 100,000 people, and about adding density through more mid-rise/high-rise buildings along transit corridors, to achieve kind of an Arlington VA -- or maybe Reston Town Center VA -- look and feel.

Whatever happened with that? Obviously it's planning for decades of growth, so I wouldn't have expected anything concrete, but what have residents' reactions been to the proposal for more density? I would assume from the reactions of those quoted in the N&O that it wasn't a popular idea...
The whole downtown revitalization thing was slammed by some property owners a few years ago, since folks who have had property for years were publicly pilloried by some as being undesirable, as in "over 30 auto related businesses."
Eminent domain and/or assessments were hinted at, and some folks are a little more independent than that.

I would support condo development in the center of Cary if the land were legitimately acquired, not seized and given to private interests.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:36 AM

3,288 posts, read 6,272,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
That photo tour of Downtown Cary was utterly disgusting! Where are all the multi-story historic brick buildings with awnings, bistro tables in front of cafes, parking meters, etc.?
Let me state what I think it disgusting - the largest automobile junkyard that I have ever seen. And where does it sit? Off Rt 309, smack dab between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton. It goes for miles..............

Old 07-26-2008, 11:41 AM

4,248 posts, read 5,206,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post

Now contrast this with Kingston and WOW!!! According to the stats, Kingston is about the last place on the planet that people want to be. The income level there is ridiculously low. Most people are poverty stricken. Do they actually have any jobs there? The home values are awful. And what is with zero diversity. According to the stats, it is 96.4% white!!!

http://www.city-data.com/city/Kingst...nsylvania.html

Kingston - NO THANK YOU!!!

Cary - Heaven on Earth

Also quote: In and Out: " I wish that everyone would stop posting what they hate about someone else's town and post what they love about theirs. We would learn a lot more that way."

You seem to be angry and defensive that other people would like Kingston, PA. (ingratiating smiley face icon)

Old 07-26-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Also quote: In and Out: " I wish that everyone would stop posting what they hate about someone else's town and post what they love about theirs. We would learn a lot more that way."

You seem to be angry and defensive that other people would like Kingston, PA. (ingratiating smiley face icon)
One must keep quotes in context and not try to spin them. I am comparing one place to another, as the poster is stating that Cary/Raleigh is awful and Kingston is fantastic. If the poster only stated that Kingston was fantastic, that would be great and I would have no comment or may actually ask for pointers on what I should see if I went there. When a poster destroys unnecessarily your town based on guesses and unverified perception and then says their town is way better than yours, then I will respond with actual fact and my own opinion, which I did by posting the city-data stats showing what the town is really all about and by stating that I IMO the types of builds shown are ugly.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:42 PM

4,248 posts, read 5,206,776 times
I just think its sad that we have to import people from other forums so that we can argue with them about how Cary is so much better. They're just trying to defend themselves against comments they made on a totally different forum unrelated to ours, and we're just destroying their city in turn. Not very friendly.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:41 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,801,950 times
That Kingston downtown looks very nice. If I had pictures of the commercial areas of my old hometown (Brookline, MA)*, which I also thought was very nice, I'd post them, but I don't think I have anything like the ones shown above. Most of the photos I have in the area are of my kids, etc. There are street view pictures on Google Maps, but they were taken in the midst of street reconstruction, so it looks much nicer now. (Anyone who's interested, you can roll up and down most of the streets in the area; it's a nice mix of small retail (incl. a Trader Joe's), commercial, multi-family residential and singe-family homes.)

*Not really a "downtown", because it developed as a suburb to Boston and remains very close by (obviously!), but there are two/three areas with a good concentration of commercial areas that would compare similarly to what you showed above in Kingston.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I just think its sad that we have to import people from other forums so that we can argue with them about how Cary is so much better. They're just trying to defend themselves against comments they made on a totally different forum unrelated to ours, and we're just destroying their city in turn. Not very friendly.

Not sure what is meant by importing someone from another forum. Seems that some that are not from here join in willingly to bash the area. I don't think anyone was solicited to come to this forum. I think the entire thing is sad. There are posters following me around attacking every good thing I say. I can't figure that one out either. I wish those that love Cary could speak freely about why they love it. And the same should hold true for those that live in Durham and Raleigh. Cities are for city folk and suburbs are for suburban folks. I can't figure out why city people hate the fact that other people like suburbs. They can't just say, that's nice and I am glad you are happy. It doesn't bother me that people like to live in the city, even though I don't like it. It's funny, when I speak highly of Durham, I don't get any bad comments from people. But when I speak highly of Cary, the fangs come out from people I don't even know. You should see the really nasty DM's I get..............oh wait, maybe I don't have to tell you that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary