Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:20 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Please don't generalize about everyone in Cary. I live in Cary and I like the look of downtown Scranton.

I grew up in Johnstown, PA and if you wanna see a *depressed* area, just go look at THAT.

I also spent nearly 20 years in San Francisco, so luckily I got to experience a big 'downtown' in a very desirable city.
I know Johnstown ! I lived in Ebensburg in the early 70's - it was a *gem* compared to Johnstown ! I get depressed just thinking about that town !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 10:21 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Yes. It wasn't so much as being "invited" as it was being sent a DM that insulted me by calling me "prejudiced" for my "roast" of your fair town on the General U.S. forum thread. Now I'm here to stay, for better or for worse.

I never heard of a city that was content to not have an identifiable downtown, especially one that has 120,000+ people as of 2008. When friends come to visit me in Scranton, I make sure that I show them around the downtown area on at least one day to see all of the sights. They are never underwhelmed. Is Raleigh supposed to serve as Cary's "downtown?"
It really matters not what you think. Making judgements about an area you an totally unfamilar with just shows ignorance. I would never "roast" your town considering I have never been there. Nor would I bother participating on a thread on an internet forum about a town I've never been to or have any plans to visit. It would be ignorant of me to do so. You don't live here, you've never seen the area, you have no idea what is here or why and what the residents are content with. It's a robust area with a high quality of life, just like most areas in the triangle. I'm not sure why you would care about what goes on in a town hundreds of miles away that doesn't impact you or your life at all.

Last edited by lamishra; 07-26-2008 at 11:27 PM..

Old 07-26-2008, 10:26 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
...and the next time I pull up to the gas pumps here in Scranton and wince as I pump $4.07/gallon gas into my fuel-efficient sedan, I'll thank the 100,000+ residents of Cary for moving into a community centered around the automobile at a time when fuel prices are spiking due to increasing demand.
Luckily for us, we live in an area where we can fill up my even more fuel Camray for $3.98 and keep it full for over a month because we can walk and cycle to work and school.

Last edited by lamishra; 07-26-2008 at 11:25 PM..

Old 07-26-2008, 10:30 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
I know Johnstown ! I lived in Ebensburg in the early 70's - it was a *gem* compared to Johnstown ! I get depressed just thinking about that town !!!
You and me both! Actually I grew up in Westmont, a borough of J-town, but still a J-town post office nonetheless. My parents sold their Westmont house in '05 after living there for 50+ years (they are now in FL, of course ). But ALLLLL our family's cemetary plots are in Westmont/Johnstown, PA. Yes even mine...they bought them when I was a small child. :-O

I really like Cary. And that's after living in the Bay Area in CA for nearly 20 years.

My mother and aunt saw Cary for the first time last November when they came to stay with me for a couple weeks. They think Cary is lovely. They were also very fortunate to be here in November when the trees were at their peak color.

Compared to FL I'll take Cary any day (and of course ditto/tritto PA, except on a gorgeous autumn day)!

Old 07-27-2008, 05:23 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Quote:
I never heard of a city that was content to not have an identifiable downtown, especially one that has 120,000+ people as of 2008. When friends come to visit me in Scranton, I make sure that I show them around the downtown area on at least one day to see all of the sights. They are never underwhelmed. Is Raleigh supposed to serve as Cary's "downtown?"
I believe you may be confused. Cary is not a city at all -- it's a town. And "the town of Cary" has an identifiable downtown (Academy St.).

Old 07-27-2008, 05:42 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Yes. It wasn't so much as being "invited" as it was being sent a DM that insulted me by calling me "prejudiced" for my "roast" of your fair town on the General U.S. forum thread. Now I'm here to stay, for better or for worse.

It would be a boring world indeed if any of us couldn't learn something every day!
We in Cary are delighted to aid in your daily dose of enlightment!

And no decent Caryite would send you such a DM... Allow me to apologize for whoever that interloper may have been.

Jeeze, I thought we were having a little fun here...

Old 07-27-2008, 07:31 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
But ALLLLL our family's cemetary plots are in Westmont/Johnstown, PA. Yes even mine...they bought them when I was a small child. :-O!
Don't you think that's a little creepy.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:37 AM

551 posts, read 575,009 times
Quote:
...and the next time I pull up to the gas pumps here in Scranton and wince as I pump $4.07/gallon gas into my fuel-efficient sedan, I'll thank the 100,000+ residents of Cary for moving into a community centered around the automobile at a time when fuel prices are spiking due to increasing demand.

I really don't understand the point of coming over to this forum and insulting us. Isn't there better things to do? And BTW, I used to put on 30,000 miles a year on my car living in the north. Now I am down to around 6,500. Once they finish building out my intersection in Cary, I won't need a car.

Now if you have any questions about relocating or visiting here, I will be more than happy to help. If the only purpose of the forum visits is to insult people, please go away.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:

What don't you get??? We don't want to be like your town. We love our town the way we have designed it. I am not trying to be rude here, but I looked at the stats for your town vs Cary, and Cary wipes yours off the map. And again, we are putting in 35 million dollars to redo the downtown, just to make you happy.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And no decent Caryite would send you such a DM... Allow me to apologize for whoever that interloper may have been.

Mike, you are absolutely correct on this. The nasty invite sounds much more like something that would come for Durham or Raleigh. It sounds kinda like a city thing to do. I know those types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary