Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:24 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
It always amuses me when a newcomer claims that there are really many southerers here anymore. Completely untrue. Especially in town in Raleigh.
You beat me to it. Raleigh is still at least 50% Southern (remember, some of those transplants are coming from other parts of the South, not just the North! But there are still LOTS of natives here!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 11:17 AM

37 posts, read 108,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
It always amuses me when a newcomer claims that there are really many southerers here anymore. Completely untrue. Especially in town in Raleigh.
Since I said that, I'll respond.

I guess that's a subjective thing, as to "not many". 50% may sound like a lot to some, but I guess I imagined a higher percentage of original southerners here, so 50% would seem low to me. It seems to me that with so many northerners coming here (and I'm one from 4 yrs. ago!) that the percentage of non-southerners keeps growing, meaning the originals are becoming a lower percentage.

I don't have any other hard data, but just saying this is what my opinion was based on. I hoped to come to a place that was mostly southerners. I like the blend of all people, of course. JMO. Nothing bad intended.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:34 PM

419 posts, read 1,397,065 times
You won't have a hard time finding a Steelers fan club!

Old 08-01-2008, 12:58 PM

29 posts, read 109,235 times
Default Welcome yunz!!

I'm from Pittsburgh originally...been here since 2000. My parents moved down from the 'Burgh in 2005. We all love it here. People are friendly, although not sure any city has folks as friendly as Pittsburghers! I, too, like the mix of folks from everywhere. There are Steelers fans in abundance which makes football season almost as good as up north...but warmer! The neighborhoods seem completely different to me down here though, not in a bad way, just different....they're generally much newer here, lots of new shopping and strip malls, smaller trees b/c they're newer too, and lots of Bunco Babe groups (which I had never heard of before moving down here!).

Good luck with the move...

Old 08-02-2008, 08:01 AM

58 posts, read 149,093 times
Hey guys. I'm going to Pittsburgh for a conference (Double Tree hotel). While I know this sounds stupid because it's smack in the middle of downtown, but what else is there to do besides the Andy Warhol museum and a Pirates game? I plan on walking to both. I've wanted to visit Squirrel Hill. What kind of public transportation can I expect there?

Old 08-04-2008, 12:19 PM

7 posts, read 13,179 times
hey burch ave,

There is nothing to do in pittsburgh that is why I have to leave. There are uaually some type of play or concert in downtown. Everything is walkinf distanct is closed by 7. Football season is coming so there will be lots to do.

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 03:32 PM

58 posts, read 149,093 times
That's exactly what I figured, haha. Thank you!

Old 08-04-2008, 03:41 PM

53 posts, read 129,329 times
I am moving to Raleigh from Pittsburgh in 2 weeks to start work as an orthopedic surgeon with Duke at Duke Raleigh Hospital. I will be in the North Raleigh and Knightdale area. Would love to see some Pittsburghers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary