Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 03:15 PM

30 posts, read 90,056 times

Advertisements

Ok...I have a question for you. I am going to be making an offer on a presale when our lot gets recorded (Monday) It is in the 27524 zipcode...johnston co. First off, there is a house that closed two weeks ago (exactly our floor plan, same neighborhood)...list price of $189900. closed at $185000. Then another house in the neighborhood just closed... list price of $182900. closed at $179000. Okay.... here is our deal, we want the same house built as the one that listed at $189900. and closed at $185000...we want upgrades equaling $6200...so that puts us at a total of = $196100--- IF we offer full price. I was thinking of offering $192K or $193K and we will use his attorney and lenders and want him to pay closing costs. What do you think of that offer??? too low??? too high??? Thanks for you help everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 04:59 AM

261 posts, read 1,216,488 times
Default There's no way to know for sure, just make an offer....

Hi Alliecat,

Sounds like you want to do a "presale", meaning that you want to have a house built rather than buying an existing inventory home? Is that correct?

Builders typically give larger discounts on "standing" inventory, homes that are already built.

In days gone by, Builders gave few incentives or discounts on presale homes.

Now days, that may not be the case. The builder I work for is now giving incentives on presales too. Larger incentives on the inventory though.

Sounds like you've done your homework on sales prices. One caution is that all lots aren't created equally - some are better than others. Homes on less desirable lots should sell for less. Also, front elevations of the homes aren't always equal either. A house with a front porch for example should sell for more than the same plan without a front porch.

Interior finishes might not be comparable either. Did the sold homes with the same plan have the same upgrades?

My advice is for you not to try to guess what is acceptable to the seller. Make your offer, and let the seller/builder counter back. With builders, its a numbers driven decision. They know what they have to net to make the sale work.

Resales homes are a bit tougher sometimes on the negotiating end because the seller's emotions natually come into play.

I'm not suggesting making some ridiculous offer like coming in 10% low. You've gotten an idea of what things are selling for, just stretch that some and see what they come back with.

Actually I'm amazed you can still find new homes for that price. That's awesome!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary