U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:12 PM

551 posts, read 166,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
You still do. Nothing is stopping you from living where you want to live. It's just up to you the buyer to do your own research.

It could be a lot easier if Realtors were allowed to hand you a stat sheet of the neighborhood.

I mean come on, City Data and many other sources have all the stats for EVERYTHING for each town, so why can't it be broken down to a neighborhood? It is okay to do it nationwide, statewide & townwide, but not for a neighborhood? Things were just taken a little too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 03:17 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,801,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post
It could be a lot easier if Realtors were allowed to hand you a stat sheet of the neighborhood.

I mean come on, City Data and many other sources have all the stats for EVERYTHING for each town, so why can't it be broken down to a neighborhood? It is okay to do it nationwide, statewide & townwide, but not for a neighborhood? Things were just taken a little too far.
Perhaps if for many decades minorities hadn't been deliberately excluded from certain neighborhoods such laws wouldn't be necessary. But they were, and so they are. It is unfortunate, though, I agree.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Perhaps if for many decades minorities hadn't been deliberately excluded from certain neighborhoods such laws wouldn't be necessary. But they were, and so they are.

Giving a buyer a stat sheet that shows how many kinds and what the diversity numbers are does not stop someone else from moving to a neighborhood. I might stop myself from buying there if I find that there are too many kids or the neighborhood is 100% white, but it does not stop someone else from buying there. Again, the rules have gone to far. Preventing knowledge is not the thing that should be done.

And I will ask again, why is it okay for the government to REQUIRE you to complete a census, so they can publish numbers on the state level and town level, but our Realtors here cannot give the numbers on a neighborhood level. It's okay to be somewhat bad, but not all the way bad?

Old 07-20-2008, 03:33 PM

9,077 posts, read 18,698,708 times
Quote:
Giving a buyer a stat sheet that shows how many kinds and what the diversity numbers are does not stop someone else from moving to a neighborhood. I might stop myself from buying there if I find that there are too many kids or the neighborhood is 100% white, but it does not stop someone else from buying there. Again, the rules have gone to far. Preventing knowledge is not the thing that should be done.

And I will ask again, why is it okay for the government to REQUIRE you to complete a census, so they can publish numbers on the state level and town level, but our Realtors here cannot give the numbers on a neighborhood level. It's okay to be somewhat bad, but not all the way bad?
So your question really isn't about the Triangle area at all is it?

You just want a referendum on the validity of the Fair Housing Act.

I suggest you post your question on the city data real estate forum. I'm sure you will get some well informed responses to your loaded questions there.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/real-estate/

Good Luck!

Old 07-20-2008, 03:42 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,299,355 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses so far. I totally understand that a Realtor does not want to get anywhere near breaking a Federal law.

Unfortunately, I think laws can go too far at times. As a buyer that DOES NOT want to live in a neighborhood absolutely loaded with kids, I wish I had an easy way to find out how many are there, besides sitting outside when the school bus rolls by. I don't understand how a person choosing a neighborhood that has a lack of children, so they can live more quietly, could possibly be considered discrimination against the kids. I remember a time in America when we actually had the right to live where we wanted to for whatever reason we wanted to.

Oops, starting climbing onto the soap box.
If you are concerned about the number of children in a neighborhood, may I recommend driving through the area on a couple Saturdays and perhaps in the evenings when children are often out playing or coming home from school on the bus. If the neighborhood has a pool, drive by and take a look at how many kids are there on a hot, humid Saturday.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:20 PM

10,395 posts, read 17,844,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
If you are concerned about the number of children in a neighborhood, may I recommend driving through the area on a couple Saturdays and perhaps in the evenings when children are often out playing or coming home from school on the bus. If the neighborhood has a pool, drive by and take a look at how many kids are there on a hot, humid Saturday.
And I'm not even allowed to say THAT!

I'm not even sure there is the information that In And Out is asking about, by neighborhood. Like I said, it is available by zip code and by various websites put out by the Census Burea, but by neighborhood? I'd suggest you'd stop and ask the neighbors!

I do try to keep my clients aware of where the landfill is going, where the new section of 540 is going, etc., etc. However, in an area with this growth, I can't know EVERYTHING!

Buyers should also do their research.

Vicki

Vicki

Old 07-20-2008, 04:23 PM

8,001 posts, read 9,678,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
We are allowed to say "Fair Housing prohibits me from discussing race, creed, color, religion, sex, handicapping conditions, national origin and familial status.

That is THE LAW. You don't mess around with the Federal Government!

Vicki
So, based on the letter of the law, you could tell a buyer that a house next door is gay owned but you couldn't tell them that the potential neighbor is a White Reformed Jewish Lesbian from Bulgaria with a son in a wheelchair? Am I correct?....just curious.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:37 PM

10,395 posts, read 17,844,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
So, based on the letter of the law, you could tell a buyer that a house next door is gay owned but you couldn't tell them that the potential neighbor is a White Reformed Jewish Lesbian from Bulgaria with a son in a wheelchair? Am I correct?....just curious.

I think you are somewhat mis informed. How would I KNOW if the "house next door is gay owned"?

Do you honestly believe that each and every Realtor knows the make up of each and every neighborhood???

Vicki

Old 07-20-2008, 05:25 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,299,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
And I'm not even allowed to say THAT!

Vicki
Oh, I know. I suggested it since your lips are sealed by law and InandOut is pretty persistent.....

Old 07-20-2008, 06:51 PM

Thank you for the input Vicki. I think the law really puts you and the other Realtors in a pickle. I don't think it is fair to you either. Luckily I did do what people here have suggested. I walked around SCV a lot, to make sure I was not going to be walking into a boat load of kids and to make sure there was some diversity here. I was happy to see that my wishes were going to be granted. I plan on being here a long time, so I won't have to deal with this issue for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary