Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:08 AM

551 posts, read 574,943 times

Advertisements

Hey Triangle Realtors,

I am aware that by law, Realtors cannot discuss a neighborhood's diversity make-up. However, this information can be very important to a buyer, especially in this area due to it's very diverse population. A buyer in this area may want to move into a neighborhood that has a particular mix of people, such as 40% white, 40% black 20% other. If your client is specifically looking for diversity and asks you the question, what are you allowed to say and what information do you normally provide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 09:42 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
We are allowed to say "Fair Housing prohibits me from discussing race, creed, color, religion, sex, handicapping conditions, national origin and familial status.

That is THE LAW. You don't mess around with the Federal Government!

Vicki

Old 07-20-2008, 11:21 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,417,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
We are allowed to say "Fair Housing prohibits me from discussing race, creed, color, religion, sex, handicapping conditions, national origin and familial status.

Vicki
Vicki, is this a national law, or only in NC? I had never heard of it prior to moving here. I do understand the theory behind it though. I have to say, while looking at multiple properites, NC would be proud - every realtor we met abided by this law.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:33 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,992,129 times
Fair Housing Act - http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/housing/title8.htm

Last edited by mm34b; 07-20-2008 at 11:43 AM..

Old 07-20-2008, 11:45 AM

It is a FEDERAL LAW.

From time to time, Fair Housing actually sends people to check out different areas. We were told last year that Fair Housing was checking out Raleigh and Durham. I think they take the complaints they get and decide which area needs to be checked out.

Vicki

Old 07-20-2008, 12:33 PM

261 posts, read 1,216,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Vicki
Vicki has given the answer verbatim that we are allowed to give. And it always amazes me how many people get irritated by that response. I've had folks try to argue me down about this. Less often about racial make-up of a neighborhood, more often about not being able to say how many families with children live in the neighborhood (I work onsite for a builder, so of course know exactly who lives in the n'hood).

Number of children falls in the Familial Status category. While I completely understand that families with children ask this question because they want to live where other families with children live, I still am not allowed by federal law to give out this info.

Some folks would ask this question because they do not want to live around kids, hence the risk of possible discrimination based on familial status.

Realtors are well educated on the horrors of violating this federal law. The penalties are very stiff and apparently a heart felt "I'm sorry" will not sway the feds into being lenient.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:50 PM

I think alot of people just don't understand WHY we can't comment on those that are PROTECTED by Fair Housing Laws. Therefore, I think some people do get a bit angry. Of course, once I explain the WHY involved, they do understand.

As HappyNCGirl stated, it is mainly those people that WANT to know if kids are in the neighborhood that are frustrated by the law. Fair Housing protects those under 18 years old from being discriminated AGAINST. I don't agree with me not being able to explain to my clients whether or not a neighborhood has kids but that is the law, so I abide by it. Hubby and kids would not like it if they had to take care of themselves if I were in Realtor Jail!

Vicki

Old 07-20-2008, 01:22 PM

3,304 posts, read 8,554,925 times
I personally think not being able to tell people this info is totally BS, but that is why we have message boards like this and others. If you really want to find out you can spend time in those neighborhoods, but if that is not possible you can go to various internet sites and messgae boards to find out this information.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:47 PM

551 posts, read 574,943 times
Thanks for the responses so far. I totally understand that a Realtor does not want to get anywhere near breaking a Federal law.

Unfortunately, I think laws can go too far at times. As a buyer that DOES NOT want to live in a neighborhood absolutely loaded with kids, I wish I had an easy way to find out how many are there, besides sitting outside when the school bus rolls by. I don't understand how a person choosing a neighborhood that has a lack of children, so they can live more quietly, could possibly be considered discrimination against the kids. I remember a time in America when we actually had the right to live where we wanted to for whatever reason we wanted to.

Oops, starting climbing onto the soap box.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:59 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post
I remember a time in America when we actually had the right to live where we wanted to for whatever reason we wanted to.
You still do. Nothing is stopping you from living where you want to live. It's just up to you the buyer to do your own research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary