Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 10:36 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,741 times

Advertisements

For those of you living in Durham (and loving it!), which newspaper do you subscribe to, the N&O or the Herald Sun?

We currently subscribe to the N&O, but I am considering switching to the Herald Sun. That being said, the N&O has some great features that I enjoy reading weekly, and I wonder what comparable features the Herald Sun might have. Among the N&O features that I really enjoy are Car Talk, Mr. Handyperson, and Sue Stock's columns.

For those of you who subscribe to the Herald Sun, what regular features do you enjoy?

FYI, the reason I am considering the Herald Sun is I think it covers the Durham area a little more thoroughly than the N&O, especially community news. That being said, the Herald Sun has a "trial" subscription of 2 or 3 weeks (free) to allow you to get to know the paper before deciding. I have requested the "trial" subscription but have yet to receive a newspaper -- an ominous warning? I called Circulation and found out the "trial" period is about to expire, too.

Anyhow, your feedback, please? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 10:51 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Or you could just read both online at the best price.....free.

Last edited by mm34b; 07-20-2008 at 12:08 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 10:51 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,219 times
I don't live in Durham right now, but I have and I know some people who worked for the Herald-Sun before it was bought by Paxton in 2004. I've heard nothing good about the reporting since then. Check the Wikipedia entry; it discusses the problems a fair amount. On the other hand, the N&O just cut a number of staff members and will no longer publish a version of the paper geared to the western part of the Triangle, so it may be that the Herald-Sun will be the only option. The N&O cuts 70 jobs, consolidates coverage with Charlotte Observer: News: Wake County: Independent Weekly: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill
Personally I think the Independent does some good reporting on Durham issues.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:05 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
Both papers are fully available online. If you wanted to subscribe for the sake of supporting a community resource, well, the H-S is probably in worse straits financially and could use your dollars more.

I might also (cough cough) suggest some of the final local blogs in town.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:15 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,638 times
The Herald Sun had its big purge a few years back, and the N&O is trying to do less reporting with less staff. So I'm doing most of my newspapering with the New York Times, though we do subscribe to the N&O so we can keep up with the local news. I also highly recommend some of the local blogs -- you might be able to find one such very good blog by taking one of the previous poster's names, deleting the spaces and sticking a ".com" after it.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:29 PM

673 posts, read 2,266,741 times
Thanks for the online suggestions; however, my MIL, who lives with us, is not one to read the newspapers online, so we definitely have to maintain an actual paper subscription.

Hubby receives the WSJ; however, he takes that to work with him each day, so we like to have newspaper at home during the day for his Mom.

I do like the blogs, especially the one written by the fella who lurks on these boards and is occasionally known to post... That being said, in addition to his blog, what are some other good ones?

Still, are there any subscribers out there to the Herald Sun?

Old 07-20-2008, 04:17 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,335 times
Me personally, I never liked the Herald Sun when I first moved here in '05 and I never had the inclination to pick up another copy. I was using the paper's employment section often and of course, the Durham paper didn't have very much in comparison the N and O. Sometimes I like to read some other articles after browsing employment, but I found that the quality of the HS articles was just crappy. I've never seen that in other papers where I've lived (Baltimore Sun and Star Ledger).

From what I've read here, it seems they haven't improved much since then.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:53 PM

847 posts, read 3,522,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
I do like the blogs, especially the one written by the fella who lurks on these boards and is occasionally known to post... That being said, in addition to his blog, what are some other good ones?
I would link but I think it will get moderated out, right? Maybe I can say some names and you can Google: Endangered Durham, Dependable Erection, Carpe Durham, Durham Bull Pen, Nicomachus. Some new ones are Durham Photos, Take the Bull by the Horns, and That's No Bull. The Museum of Life & Science has a blog about animals that is fun to read, and the Nasher Museum just started one. I probably left out someone important. I also have a blog you could probably find easily.

Look at BCR's blogroll and you will find some other fine ones.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:20 AM

321 posts, read 1,577,369 times
I like the herald sun. More local news, N&O certainly focuses much more on Raleigh, Cary news. I, personally, feel N&O somewhat perpetuates the negativity surrounding Durham. They do have a Durham news section on Saturday if you are a subscriber though. My vote goes to Herald Sun. I, for one, enjoy taking apart the paper on a Saturday and Sunday morning and reading while drinking my morning coffee and could never just read a newspaper online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary