Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:46 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,666,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandOnian View Post
Raleigh is such a safe place, it's not even funny...That is unless you're driving on the beltline or I-40 in a rainstorm (people in this city don't know how to drive, and there are always a few sketchy spinouts every time it rains, and people just leave there cars in the middle of the highway because they are stupid).

You want to have a good laugh? Go to The Bronx, or Detroit, then go to Raleigh's worst "ghetto" and compare them. I just moved to Raleigh from NYC and I haven't seen a bad area since I've been here. Such a safe city.

Don't listen to the overly-conservative and sheltered people on this board.
People have no idea.

It's funny when you think about. The freeways around here are the only places I fear driving, when it rains however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:17 AM

161 posts, read 600,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandOnian View Post
Raleigh is such a safe place, it's not even funny...That is unless you're driving on the beltline or I-40 in a rainstorm (people in this city don't know how to drive, and there are always a few sketchy spinouts every time it rains, and people just leave there cars in the middle of the highway because they are stupid).

You want to have a good laugh? Go to The Bronx, or Detroit, then go to Raleigh's worst "ghetto" and compare them. I just moved to Raleigh from NYC and I haven't seen a bad area since I've been here. Such a safe city.
So true! I have been all of the places underPSI mentions except "Raleigh Gardens," some of them many times. Some of them on my bicycle. Some I would not travel on a Saturday night, but all are fine most of the time. And underPSI is right, these are probably about the most "dangerous" in Raleigh! They just can't compare with the rough areas of Baltimore or Philadelphia or Washington, etc.

I know respectable people that live on a number of those streets. And get this: my BROTHER lives on Seawell Ave. He has lived there for two years in a beautiful old bungalow. And he's white. And the street is only four blocks long. And he has never even had his house broken into! And he doesn't have an alarm system.

In other words, Raleigh is so safe that you can live on one of the most dangerous streets, without an alarm system, and not have your house broken into.

Of course we visit my brother all the time. Sometimes we sit on the front porch. Sometimes sketchy people walk by. So what? They don't shoot us or snatch our kids.

Governor Mike Easley sometimes takes his afternoon walk down E. Jones St. He always waves hello!

So drive wherever you want in Raleigh, you'll be fine.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:12 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,558,041 times
Quote:
Don't listen to the overly-conservative and sheltered people on this board.
HAHAHA. Yup, I'm the sheltered one. My eyes are wide open. I've been there and done that which is why I know better.

Quote:
Some I would not travel on a Saturday night, but all are fine most of the time.
And that is exactly what I said.

Quote:
First of all stop it with those BS lies!!! I swear some of the comments on this board come straight out of a cardboard box. When was the last time you heard of people getting jacked out of their cars in any of those areas? I thought so...

You can drive anywhere in Raleigh and be safe. Dwelling in some areas is another story. There is probably no place in NC that's not safe to drive through. Once you come here you'll see what I mean.
Ok. If you are white then take a walk or drive down Maple st. on a Friday or Saturday night. It shouldn't be a problem since it's so safe. There's a reason why it's not on the news. Most people are smart enough to not drive down those few streets.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
HAHAHA. Yup, I'm the sheltered one. My eyes are wide open. I've been there and done that which is why I know better.

And that is exactly what I said.

Ok. If you are white then take a walk or drive down Maple st. on a Friday or Saturday night. It shouldn't be a problem since it's so safe. There's a reason why it's not on the news. Most people are smart enough to not drive down those few streets.
Whatever...

Maple st isn't as rosy as the name, but who visits to walk down Maple st? You can drive anywhere in Raleigh and be safe. Why blow something up to make it seem more dramatic?

I remember visiting NYC for the first time and finding out it's pretty tame compared to how media misrepresents the place. The only cities that scared to crap out of me was Baltimore, and South Philly.

Raleigh? Please... It's Cary compared to those places.

Charlotte is the same...

Old 07-24-2008, 09:22 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,109,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
First of all stop it with those BS lies!!! I swear some of the comments on this board come straight out of a cardboard box. When was the last time you heard of people getting jacked out of their cars in any of those areas? I thought so...

You can drive anywhere in Raleigh and be safe. Dwelling in some areas is another story. There is probably no place in NC that's not safe to drive through. Once you come here you'll see what I mean.

I once showed a couple from Providence a housing project in Durham, surprisingly they said "Wow there actually nice." NC is heaven compared to other "bad" areas around the country.
You wouldn't believe the projects in New Orleans. We lived near the infamous Fischer Projects in Algiers.

That one made NYC seem tame.

My son went to Washington Elementary which is downtown across from the Walnut Terrace RHA project. Went through it many times and didn't feel that danger was imminent.

Raleigh ain't Heaven, but it's certainly nowhere near hell.

The original poster should be sure to use proper precautions like hiding GPS units and luggage in parked cars. That should take care of it unless he's very unlucky and meets up with someone like this:

Man charged in armed robbery spree :: WRAL.com

Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,558,041 times
Quote:
Maple st isn't as rosy as the name, but who visits to walk down Maple st? You can drive anywhere in Raleigh and be safe. Why blow something up to make it seem more dramatic?
See, you won't do it. And what's all this continuing crap of comparing Raleigh to other cities? Nobody said Raleigh is as bad as -X-. The o.p. asked what streets to avoid and I merely listed some. My point against yours is there are a few streets in Raleigh that you could drive down and NOT be safe.
So, back up your comments about how safe Raleigh is and take a trip down Maple st. on a sat. night. You won't do it because you know better so quit arguing.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
You wouldn't believe the projects in New Orleans. We lived near the infamous Fischer Projects in Algiers.

That one made NYC seem tame.

My son went to Washington Elementary which is downtown across from the Walnut Terrace RHA project. Went through it many times and didn't feel that danger was imminent.

Raleigh ain't Heaven, but it's certainly nowhere near hell.

The original poster should be sure to use proper precautions like hiding GPS units and luggage in parked cars. That should take care of it unless he's very unlucky and meets up with someone like this:

Man charged in armed robbery spree :: WRAL.com

Exactly. I mean Raleigh is not crime free, police are working on our 20th murder this morning, but it's not a place to feel unsafe at all.

Walnut Terrace is surprisingly very clean and well kept nowadays compared to how it was in the early 90's.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:41 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,109,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Exactly. I mean Raleigh is not crime free, police are working on our 20th murder this morning, but it's not a place to feel unsafe at all.

Walnut Terrace is surprisingly very clean and well kept nowadays compared to how it was in the early 90's.
That's when I went through it and still felt OK. My son attended Washington from 1989 - 1994.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
See, you won't do it. And what's all this continuing crap of comparing Raleigh to other cities? Nobody said Raleigh is as bad as -X-. The o.p. asked what streets to avoid and I merely listed some. My point against yours is there are a few streets in Raleigh that you could drive down and NOT be safe.
So, back up your comments about how safe Raleigh is and take a trip down Maple st. on a sat. night. You won't do it because you know better so quit arguing.
Yeah, because people are just being ripped from their cars on Maple st...

Take a trip down Bragg, E Martin, S Lenoir..... None of these places will get you ripped from your car... I wouldn't advise taking foot strolls through any however...

You need to back up you point and show frequent carjackings on any of those streets. I'm waiting.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:14 AM

271 posts, read 699,458 times
Not for Nothing but NYC is the Safest Big City in the Country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary