Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:30 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I know you are asking about Raleigh, but living in Cary and looking at both Durham and Raleigh, I have to think there is more violence in Durham. We have gotten spoiled in Cary. Low crime and very few homicides have lulled us into a feeling of false safety. I like to think I can come home and walk my dog regardless of the time, but I sure wouldn’t want my wife to do it alone.
I have the advantage of being big, and looking harder than I really am. I think most would not bother me in Cary, but I would think hard about walking late at night in Durham.

Yeah no one walks around any part of Durham at night to walk their dog.

West Cary you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:36 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post

West Cary you say?
West Cary just off Davis Dr. and I really like it over here. Great neighbors, and I think we are safe, but who knows these days.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:14 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Mini-City in North Raleigh
I'll second that.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:38 PM

5 posts, read 15,429 times
Default bad places

skip night time visits to capital blvd near 440

Old 08-23-2008, 02:59 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I know you are asking about Raleigh, but living in Cary and looking at both Durham and Raleigh, I have to think there is more violence in Durham. We have gotten spoiled in Cary. Low crime and very few homicides have lulled us into a feeling of false safety. I like to think I can come home and walk my dog regardless of the time, but I sure wouldn’t want my wife to do it alone.
I have the advantage of being big, and looking harder than I really am. I think most would not bother me in Cary, but I would think hard about walking late at night in Durham.
Which part of Durham? It's a big area.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:21 AM

499 posts, read 1,528,218 times
Quote:

West Cary you say?
Gimme a BREAK!!! There are alot of nice areas in Durham that you can safely walk your dog anytime!! People really need to stop feeding off of the negative media and poor public perception of Durham. I've lived in Durham for almost three years now. North Durham to be exact. Nice neighborhoods and nice people. Some decent schools also. And the areas adjacent to Chapel Hill are nice too. Even some areas of downtown. People should really visit Durham and spend some time before just dismissing it!

Old 08-24-2008, 01:27 AM

305 posts, read 713,583 times
Quote:
Exactly. I mean Raleigh is not crime free, police are working on our 20th murder this morning, but it's not a place to feel unsafe at all.
Regarding crime, I personally feel that Raleigh has turned into a dump, full of undesirable places and people. To each their own.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:18 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
I live by Triangle Town Center and feel fine working out in our complex fitness center at 4AM every day.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:07 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu2005 View Post
Thanks for the VERY specific responses!! PSI, I "safely" checked and viewed the area on google, thank you for the links!! Seems like East/South East Raleigh is where the streets generally are?
Someone in a different message board said Garner had some crime? We were planning to visit that area, should we be very concerned? How bad is it?
FWIW, Garner is fine. I think it gets a bad rap because it borders SE Raleigh. When I'm out and about with my 2 small children I feel totally safe. I feel safe in my home. I feel safe it I have to run to the gas station, grocery shopping, or out to eat at night, anywhere in Garner. In addition to Garner, I've lived in Raleigh and Cary and have never felt safer. I drive through SE Raleigh (day and night) to get into downtown and have never had a problem.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:02 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,102,685 times
It's true - I had my car keyed and my Sirius radio stolen when we lived in Cary. Now we live in Garner (well in the 27603 zip close to Garner) and I have not experienced any crime. In fact, there have been a few nights where we left our garage door open all night long (by accident!) and anyone could've walked in and taken all of our stuff!!!
We feel very safe here and I lived in London for 20 years and NYC for 8 - so I know about crime!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary