Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 06:40 AM

51 posts, read 193,281 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting Raleigh next week and would greatly appreciate your feedback on:

1. What is the public transportation like in Raleigh? (Amtrak? is there a commuter rail? any "subway" or "bus" options?)

2. Any info/opinions on Garner would be also appreciated. What type of town is it? Things you like/dislike about the area? How does it compare to other nearby towns?

3. What are some towns to the North of Raleigh that you enjoy? Why?

4. Anyone who has moved from the Northeast - do you feel any culture shock moving to Raleigh? In what ways? (and was it positive?)

5. Is parking an issue anywhere around the area??

Thanks so much!!

Last edited by psu2005; 07-23-2008 at 06:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Public transport is pretty lacking. Don't expect much from it.

Garner is not one of my favorite places in the triangle, but others seem to like it. It's a little more "southern NC" feeling than other areas in the triangle. Of course, that could also be a bit of my native Raleigh-ite bias showing!

Wake Forest is by far one of the most popular areas north of Raleigh.

Parking isn't much of issue unless you are trying to park on the street in downtown Raleigh during the day and around NCSU Those are the two places I can think of off the top of my head where I personally have run into parking issues, but others may know of different areas where parking is difficult.

Last edited by lamishra; 07-23-2008 at 07:00 AM..

Old 07-23-2008, 06:45 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
1. What is the public transportation like in Raleigh? (Amtrak? is there a commuter rail? any "subway" or "bus" options?)

Very poor bus service. Amtrak serves the area.

2. Any info/opinions on Garner would be also appreciated. What type of town is it? Things you like/dislike about the area? How does it compare to other nearby towns?

Garner has crime and school issues but some folks like it.

4. Anyone who has moved from the Northeast - do you feel any culture shock moving to Raleigh? In what ways? (and was it positive?)

Lack of subways and good bus lines really hurts

Old 07-23-2008, 08:15 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Bus service is fine if you allot yourself 3 hours to travel 10 miles. I must say, though, they are working to substantially improve it.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:25 AM

113 posts, read 436,533 times
You would likely experience more culture shock in Garner than in Raleigh.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 AM

488 posts, read 1,554,304 times
1. What is the public transportation like in Raleigh? (Amtrak? is there a commuter rail? any "subway" or "bus" options?) The Bus system is not particularly convienent..yet. Most employers in RTP offer incentives for carpooling so that might be something that would interest you. as for Amtrak they are currently working on a big high speed project to expand travel between Washington, Dc ---Raleigh---Atlanta. Here is a little info about that project: Southeast High Speed Rail Corridor

2. Any info/opinions on Garner would be also appreciated. What type of town is it? Things you like/dislike about the area? How does it compare to other nearby towns? Garner has a lot of school issues. I would not choose to live there but some people like it.

3. What are some towns to the North of Raleigh that you enjoy? Why? Wake Forest and Rolesville both have some nice community events. Wake Forest has more to offer in terms of shopping and dinning though.

4. Anyone who has moved from the Northeast - do you feel any culture shock moving to Raleigh? In what ways? (and was it positive?) N/A...I cam from the south.

5. Is parking an issue anywhere around the area?? I think that downtown Raleigh is the only area where parking is an issue.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:02 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
If you want to go completely without a car, you will it difficult here. But it is possible with proper planning to commute to/from work by bus. My 10 minute drive becomes 20 minutes by TTA bus because it winds through the EPA/NIEHS complex. Still not bad. All just depends where you live and where you work. Research this in advance. The TTA is especially nice and much better than, say, Raleigh's CAT bus.

As more people commute by bus, service will improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary