Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:04 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cackalackie View Post
Not everyone sees clients in their office.
Exactly. I'm far more productive behind my computer cranking out code when I'm comfortable.

Then there is my work-at-home wife, who is working in her pajamas and barefoot for half the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 09:36 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
I think flip-flops have become the norm now. They come in so many different styles and ppl wear them everday. Especially down south where it's warm most of the time.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:44 AM

551 posts, read 2,287,734 times
I recently made a transition from an environment where we wore suits most every day to an environment where it is not unusual to see jeans and flip flops most every day. I've adapted to the more casual style, but I've got to say, I'm not wearing jeans to work. I'm just not comfortable with it! I tend to take my cue from how my boss and my boss's boss dress.... And since I've never seen them in jeans, you won't catch me in them, either. Casual t-shirts, tank tops, short skirts, low-cut tops and really tight clothes are all frequently seen in my workplace and all are permanently off my list for work.

On the other hand, my husband works in IT and has worn everything from t-shirts and shorts to a suit and tie all in any given month. All depends on what's going on that day.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 AM

64 posts, read 196,928 times
The companies I have worked for did not allow open toed sandals at all - heels or flats. All 3 companies cited insurance reasons. Apparently they had to pay out to many workmans comp claims from people dropping staplers on their toes, and tripping and falling down stairs.

Of course people did wear them anyway, but I have to say the constant "flip-flip-flip" down the hallways was extremely distracting. Kinda like listening to someone pop bubblegum all day.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:07 AM

113 posts, read 436,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debera109 View Post
Apparently they had to pay out to many workmans comp claims from people dropping staplers on their toes, and tripping and falling down stairs.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.............

Old 07-23-2008, 02:39 PM

353 posts, read 1,366,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I think flip-flops have become the norm now. They come in so many different styles and ppl wear them everday. Especially down south where it's warm most of the time.
I am really quite surprised by how many companies in the area are so casual. In the NY metro area, this is not acceptable corporate casual anywhere I have worked or my friends have worked. There is definitely a difference. Actually, I don't think I would like the ultra casual. I find I like a professional atmosphere, to me people take their work more seriously. We are corporate casual which is basically business dress without the suits. Khakies and collar shirts - polos are okay for guys, but no one wears flip flops or jeans.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:04 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Old and tired policies are quickly being changed. Younger workers in general don't want to wear a suit or tie to work. There are flex hours pretty common now. It's only going to keep changing for the better. Policies should be adapted that fit current day and not keep stuff around just because it was the norm in the past.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:38 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Well, as someone who has worked from home for the past 2.5 years, I'm actually looking forward to 'dressing' for work again. No, I don't want to wear suits every day - but I also don't want to wear jeans and flip flops. I've been shopping like mad the past week or so and have found plenty of outfits that are comfortable but still look nice. Maybe I'm just an old fogie, but I want to look decent. And for what it's worth - my present company has changed it's policy to limit jeans to Friday only. Apparently things had gotten a little too casual. We have an extremely young workforce - mostly recent college graduates - so they've just had to adapt.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:19 AM

353 posts, read 1,366,960 times
I can't believe that the UBS in Raleigh (I think) or IBM have this sort of dress. It definitely depends on the industry and size of the company.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
IBM's a large company, but there are significant numbers of employees who don't wear anything other than jeans and a shirt, maybe substituting shorts when it gets really hot. There's still a decent amount of R&D there - engineers don't like to be confused with management if it can be helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary