Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:53 PM

635 posts, read 3,092,438 times

Advertisements

Golf Link just released their "Top 100" courses in the nation, and along with the perennial favorite down in Pinehurst, a local Sanford upstart has ranked #8 in the list of best courses in the USA, Tobacco Road.

Tobacco Road has already received several accolades including ranking as the 10th hardest course in the USA by Golf Digest last year. This along with other famous courses in the region really is great PR for Sanford, and our area.

For golf aficionados, more can be read here:

Sanford Chamber News

Top 100 United States Golf Courses

Pinehurst Area Golf | Tobacco Road Golf Club - A Mike Strantz Design

Tobacco Road a Carolina gem among golf courses - Travel - LATimes.com

Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:01 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,274 times
The idea of T.R. as number 8 in the US is laughable, but it IS one of the most unique courses you will find anywhere and certainly worth a play at any rate other than the uber-high season freight they charge.

It's a lot of fun, though, but I'd not recommend it for a higher handicapper.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:01 PM

27 posts, read 79,697 times
Fun course - lots of blind shots... target golf.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
The idea of T.R. as number 8 in the US is laughable, but it IS one of the most unique courses you will find anywhere and certainly worth a play at any rate other than the uber-high season freight they charge.

It's a lot of fun, though, but I'd not recommend it for a higher handicapper.
Well, I can't comment on how well Tobacco Road holds up against other courses since my golf background is very light.... verrrry light But the course has received a number of accolades since it was built, so I'd have to suggest that "laughable" might be a bit too strong a derision of this award *shrug*

Golf Digest 2005 Best In State Rankings - North Carolina (2005), #23
Golf Digest's "Places to Play" Ratings - 2006, Four-1/2 Star(Five Star is best)
Golfweek Best State-By-State Public Access Golf Courses (2007), #6

And most of these awards were closely grouped with other famous courses at Pinehurst, etc.

Heck, even "golf legend" Will Ferrell had "good things" to say

Sanford Chamber News

These sorts of rankings are always subjective and a matter of taste and opinion of course, but from what I've read, Tobacco Road is as you point out quite unique, and apparently that is part of what has made it such a well considered course. But as with anything somewhat unique and extreme, it often engenders polarizing opinions of the "love it" or "hate it" variety. So Tobacco Road does seem to get some of that based on other reviews I've read, perhaps deservedly.

But I'm proud to have it located close to Sanford, and is just another feather in our community's cap

Cheers,
Al

Old 07-24-2008, 02:54 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,601 times
Maybe in the Top 10 unique (tricked up) in the US. I don't think that it is in the top 10 in North Carolina

Old 07-24-2008, 03:10 PM

419 posts, read 1,397,470 times
Great golf course! Happy to see it get the recognition it deserves. In my opinion, the only course I've played that surpasses it is Caledonia Golf and Fish Club down in Pawleys Island SC. Another Mike Strantz masterpiece. The man had such amazing vision. It's a shame that he died so young.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giffman View Post
Great golf course! Happy to see it get the recognition it deserves. In my opinion, the only course I've played that surpasses it is Caledonia Golf and Fish Club down in Pawleys Island SC. Another Mike Strantz masterpiece. The man had such amazing vision. It's a shame that he died so young.

It appears that golf fans should treasure what he was able to give them:

Mike Strantz the Golf Course Designer | Courses & Travel | Golf.com

Old 07-24-2008, 03:30 PM

419 posts, read 1,397,470 times
I just checked out the rest of the list and it will raise some eyebrows. For example they put the base course on Parris Island at #66 while Pebble beach is at #81. I've played PI two or three times. I remember liking it but it just doesn't stick out in my memory. Give them some credit for not going with the same 'ol top 100 that we are used to seeing. In my opinion, I still think Pinehurst #2 is still too high at the 15spot. I just don't get all the hype for that course.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:25 AM

64 posts, read 170,537 times
I gotta tell ya. As an avid golfer, I disagree with both aspects of Tobacco Road's winning. First, the 8th best course in the country? Ahead of Pinehurst (any of the courses), Pebble Beach, Spyglass Hill? That is a huge stretch. It is definitely a very interesting course, and fun to play, but it ain't that great. It is quite pretty, however.

Second, I don't think it is the hardest course in NC, much less the 10th in the US. I'm a 13 handicap. I've played the course twice. The first, I shot an 81. The second, I shot my best round ever - by far: 74. That's not to say that the people I played with did nearly as well. They most certainly did not. My mom, who is a 10ish handicap, shot a 100 the same round I shot the 74 (and she was maaaaaad!). If you can play out of sand, though, it is not that hard.

I must say that I'm excited about playing there again next month. I'd be a little more excited to play several other courses I've played in NC, and ton of others that I haven't!

Old 07-29-2008, 04:43 AM

446 posts, read 1,394,352 times
I had to play it 5 times to figure it out. Then it was easy. I think "The Pit" is much harder. Also, check out Tot Hill Farm if you want some non traditional golf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary