Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,697 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family and I are considering relocating to the Cary area (which I am very excited about). I have done a lot of research on this site and the internet but I have some specific questions and would appreciate any insight.

We currently live in MA and have lived in Seattle, Atlanta, NY and Charleston. While we have lived in the city, we recently live in a pretty sleepy town and we are fine with that.

We have two young kids (6 & 2) so schools are very important as well as a nice neighborhood. Our price range is between $300K-$440K. We are considering Cary and Apex, possibly Chapel Hill.
Is it better to buy new construction or an existing house? How is resale? Are people paying the asking prices? The market here has changed and I am not familiar with the market conditions in the Cary area.

Our ideal neighborhood has houses which are not identical, more custom type, neighborhood lap pool. We prefer new/newer kitchens, and love crown moulding, etc.... We don't want a ton of land but prefer not to be on top of our neighbors. We really hope to find a great neighborhood with tons of kids and social opportunities. Decent proximity to stores, shopping and restaurants are a plus.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theminimam View Post
Hi, my family and I are considering relocating to the Cary area (which I am very excited about). I have done a lot of research on this site and the internet but I have some specific questions and would appreciate any insight.

We currently live in MA and have lived in Seattle, Atlanta, NY and Charleston. While we have lived in the city, we recently live in a pretty sleepy town and we are fine with that.

We have two young kids (6 & 2) so schools are very important as well as a nice neighborhood. Our price range is between $300K-$440K. We are considering Cary and Apex, possibly Chapel Hill.
Is it better to buy new construction or an existing house? How is resale? Are people paying the asking prices? The market here has changed and I am not familiar with the market conditions in the Cary area.

Our ideal neighborhood has houses which are not identical, more custom type, neighborhood lap pool. We prefer new/newer kitchens, and love crown moulding, etc.... We don't want a ton of land but prefer not to be on top of our neighbors. We really hope to find a great neighborhood with tons of kids and social opportunities. Decent proximity to stores, shopping and restaurants are a plus.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!!!!!
There are neighborhoods in West Cary that fit you to a T.
And will be at the mid-point to upper end of your price range.
The Reserve
Preston Village
Riggsbee Farm
Carpenter Village
Providence Commons, no pool, but close to the Y.

Chapel Hill will press your price point, but with great schools.

Apex has many nice neighborhoods, often tract built, but worth considering and with great schools, too. It will be slightly more affordably priced.
Abbington

There are more, but I am going to bed...

There are lots of community pools, but not that many lap pools.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:59 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
There are quite a few new neighborhoods in your price range, in South Cary.

The Park At West Lake and Sunset Oaks come to mind.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, you can go to the grocery store and pick up a free copy of "New Home Guide" or find it online. That makes it a bit easier to find the brand new neighborhoods.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary