Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:07 AM

59 posts, read 131,871 times

Advertisements

All,

I have been reading through these forums for a while now, and I see discussions about how bad TW Cable is to deal with and issues with the various internet providers.

Can you share your ideas as to which internet service provider is best for the following needs?

1)This service would be used by a telecommuter who requires the most reliable service possible.

2) Quick resolution to interruptions in service

3) 5Mb + bandwidth connection speed.

4) Usage allocation of at least 30GB a month

5) Connection would be used by multiple computers, VoIP phone line, and other various internet capable devices.

Your feedback is very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 11:26 AM

551 posts, read 2,282,091 times
I know I'm in the minority here, but we use TW Cable and we don't have any more problems than we do with anything else. We're happy with it. We haven't had any significant outages.

My husband telecommutes. We use Skype and Slingbox and we have multiple computers online.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:54 PM

59 posts, read 131,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
I know I'm in the minority here, but we use TW Cable and we don't have any more problems than we do with anything else. We're happy with it. We haven't had any significant outages.

My husband telecommutes. We use Skype and Slingbox and we have multiple computers online.
Thanks for the feedback, Chicky. From looking around, it looked as if TW would best be able to accommodate my needs, but if their service was horrid... Just wanted to ping locals to see what they found as the best solution.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:57 PM

38 posts, read 245,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post

We use TWC too and are happy with it. We have everything through them (Cable, Internet and Phone) and so far (1 year) no outages at all with excellent service... But from what I read here we may be one of the few lucky ones... I don't know!

The internet speed is 10Mb+

Old 07-25-2008, 02:07 PM

17,657 posts, read 15,351,989 times
I telecommute and I use TW Roadrunner and have no problems with it. It's fast, it works, I've had it for years. However, I'm looking forward to Verizon FIOS as that is the next level of speed. It isn't available here yet but hopefully one of these years...

Old 07-25-2008, 02:27 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,098,900 times
Roadrunner has great English speaking tech support.

I vote for TWC.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:09 AM

484 posts, read 1,363,562 times
Default Hiya

I have Time Warner Cable for my PC and have had outages, but not any more or less than I had in the past with DSl. All in all the connection is super fast and I too telecommute.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 4 days ago)

43,074 posts, read 76,623,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akleeuw View Post
All,

I have been reading through these forums for a while now, and I see discussions about how bad TW Cable is to deal with and issues with the various internet providers.

Can you share your ideas as to which internet service provider is best for the following needs?

1)This service would be used by a telecommuter who requires the most reliable service possible.

2) Quick resolution to interruptions in service

3) 5Mb + bandwidth connection speed.

4) Usage allocation of at least 30GB a month

5) Connection would be used by multiple computers, VoIP phone line, and other various internet capable devices.

Your feedback is very much appreciated!
I question #3 on TWC. And I have no complaints about TWC, FWIW.

I have RR Turbo. I get great speed most of the time, and slower speed at many other times. It doesn't impact me, but if you require 5mb download speed at all times, I have doubts.
Upload speed isn't even close to that.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:01 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,153,992 times
Hubby has been "in computers" for years and years. His theory has always been not to use TWC for internet because the TV cable goes out so often that if I'm working from home and my internet goes out, he knows I will freak out!

We use Bellsouth.net for internet because, going along with his theory, the phone never goes out.

We do have TWC for our cable.

Vicki

Old 07-26-2008, 11:23 AM

673 posts, read 2,261,885 times
We have Time Warner cable for phone, internet, and TV. Shortly after we moved into our house and intiated service with TWC, we were having problems, and the problems would result in our losing TV, internet, and phone. However, after multiple service calls, whatever was wrong was finally repaired. We have not had a service outage of any kind in quite a while.

Our only ongoing issue with TWC is the cable box and the software issues. This, too, has gotten better; however, we still have to reboot our box on a regular basis. This and the fact that they DON'T OFFER BRAVO!

Whatever TWC's issue is with negotiating a deal to carry Bravo, I wish they would just get it over and done with already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary