Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:53 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I think someone was telling me about this place just the other day. Bon is Mama Dip's daughter, right?
Yup ... but on another more food oriented board I read I learned that Bon's closed late last month. (Don't think I can post a link but you'll find it if you search for Bon's Chapel Hill Closed). They are going to continue to do catering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:37 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Sorry folks...no real barbecue joints in the Triangle. You might try this place if you're down "East" though....or do the the round trip from Raleigh like we do as often as possible. It's worth it because it's as good as it gets

Skylight Inn at HollyEats.com

Old 07-28-2008, 12:19 PM

128 posts, read 345,827 times
Should I do Bullock's or Allen and Sons?

Old 07-28-2008, 12:30 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoj View Post

Without doubt, you should do BOTH and render your opinion.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:54 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoj View Post
Yes indeed, and I don't think you'll be dissapointed with either one. I didn't mean to be little hard on the locals joints, and these two place do serve it up good on a consistance basis.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:29 PM

55 posts, read 146,060 times
Allen and Sons, yes, but I can't believe no one's mentioned Ole Time Barbecue between Raleigh and Cary. I think Bullock's is a little overrated. (Full disclosure: I'm an NC native, so I like EXTRA vinegar on my bbq. Also, I've been vegetarian for the last three years so things might have changed since my last plate )

Old 07-30-2008, 06:57 PM

5 posts, read 14,497 times
Hawg Wild is the best by far! IN CARY OFF HARRISON AVE

Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower212 View Post
Allen and Sons, yes, but I can't believe no one's mentioned Ole Time Barbecue between Raleigh and Cary.
IMO the only thing that Ole Time Barbecue has going for it is the staff. Wonderful people, but the BBQ isn't that great and it's a bit overpriced. But maybe I just caught them on their 2 bad nights.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:22 PM

82 posts, read 278,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-girl View Post
The best beef brisket I've had in quite awhile that wasn't in Oklahoma was at Hawg Wild. My friends had the pulled chicken or pork (forget which) and said it was excellent. Everything there was great. Can't wait to go back.

Danny's is also a favorite, just because I love the smoked turkey and their baked beans. None better.

Not a fan of Bullocks, but a lot of people like it. Their fried chicken is better than the pork. The best NC style pork is at a pig pickin' and it is pulled right off the hog, and then dipped into some homemade sauce. The chopped BBQ you get at a lot of these places has too many "parts" mixed in, as in FAT. Try and order pulled pork instead of chopped, IMHO.

If you walk into the place and don't smell smoke, turn around.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:01 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,292,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-girl View Post
The turkey is excellent and an unusual one to find at a BBQ place here. What I especially like is that when you order a "pulled" plate, no matter which one you choose, the chunks are largers than anywhere else I've tried and very moist. None of this chopped up so much it looks like it's been chewed already that other places have........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary