Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 12:22 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,426,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdale View Post
You're not the only one. I want to live as far as possible from bus service, and I don't care who is offended by it. I don't need a bus, and I don't want anyone to take the bus to my house. And frankly, I would just as soon shop and play at a bus-fee location too.
Thanks ! The big wheels in WF toot it like its the best thing to happen to WF in years - I respectfully disagree...
Like it or not - the area around TTC has a lot of issues, and we don't need it creeping up Capital Blvd.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:30 PM

7,065 posts, read 4,673,162 times
I was so disappointed when I heard this news this morning on channel 14, local news. They had stated that it was gang related right from the first announcement.

It's just a mirror of what has been happening on the west coast over the past two decades, because politicians in this country have ignored the obvious problem that's happening all over the nation. I have written our senators regarding the influence of gangs in NC and suggest you all do the same.

MS13 was moving up from the state of CA into WA when I lived there in the 1980s. A decade later when I lived in Portland OR, people were complaining that the gangs were coming from south of the border into CA, and up the west coast into Vancouver British Columbia. Portland is pathetic now as far as gangs and crime compared to ten years ago.

Gangs have influence in every city in this nation now, including rural communities. And our politicians from city to national levels are responsible for their lack of action, imho. Tell your mayor, governor, senators, et al., what you think!
best,
toodie

Old 07-27-2008, 12:30 PM

40 posts, read 122,129 times
There's no stopping it. No matter where you live, some public official or advocate for this or that who lives by sponging off of the money you work for is always going to scream about "access" and try to push unnecessary services on people & business who don't want or need them in an effort to waste more of the money you work for.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:33 PM

551 posts, read 572,276 times
Default Communication Is The Key. Spread The Word. Don't Pretend It Does Not Exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordWrangler View Post
I'd love if you would share specifically what Cary has done to prevent or dissuade gang activity. It would be nice to have a jumping off point to start making an attempt to curtail this kind of thing in the future.
The biggest thing is to openly talk about the problem. I think some towns are afraid to talk about it openly, as it might send a message to others that "we have a problem". Communication is the first step.

Cary News | Cary police promote gang prevention awareness

Police Dept. Gang Awareness (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/pddept/gangawareness.htm - broken link)

Cary using education to crack down on gangs :: WRAL.com

Old 07-27-2008, 12:39 PM

18 posts, read 78,495 times
I am interested in exactly what measures any of the communities are doing to address gang activity.

What gang prevention activities are going on?
What are neighborhoods doing with gang activity: Tagging?
neighborhoods banding together and reporting suspicious activity right away? neighbors watching out for neighbors?
What are the communities doing so that people are encouraged to take ownership in the communities in which they live?

I am in New Mexico...I just know this is some of what NM has found useful or is doing. So I am just interested in what communities have found useful there.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:00 PM

128 posts, read 452,002 times
The links posted by the PP above you give good info, I believe. If this truly is what's out there, we do need to be proactive. It isn't just about protecting your kid and your kid's friends anymore. It's about protecting your way of life. It's the easiest thing in the world to pick up the phone and call the cops when you see new gang tags, but how many of us would just shake our heads and bemoan the fact that "things are changing for the worst" and "there's nothing we can do about it?"

Screw that. I pay good money for my "affordable" house and I'm not about to let it be devalued by a bunch of bored, aimless children.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdale View Post
There's no stopping it. No matter where you live, some public official or advocate for this or that who lives by sponging off of the money you work for is always going to scream about "access" and try to push unnecessary services on people & business who don't want or need them in an effort to waste more of the money you work for.

You're so right !!! The scary part is the whole WF bus service thing happened so quickly.

Wake Forest Bus Service
bus service comes to wf

Old 07-27-2008, 01:07 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,099,485 times
i hate to tell you but a lot MS13 are not children, they're in it til they die...

Old 07-27-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
i hate to tell you but a lot MS13 are not children, they're in it til they die...
Yes, I googled MS13 and what I read chilled me to the bone.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:12 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,897,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
You're so right !!! The scary part is the whole WF bus service thing happened so quickly.

Wake Forest Bus Service
bus service comes to wf
And this, dear readers, is why progressives end up in the western part of the Triangle, not Wake and Johnston County.

I've ridden a bus to work -- in Boston and, as an experiment, in Durham. It's the only option for many of the employees I saw on the DATA buses, many of whom were dressed in fast food uniforms, or medical scrubs. It's the only option for people who can't see to drive, like the visually impaired man I saw commuting to work on DATA.

And with $4/gallon gas, it's an increasingly-used option for many.

We have a country that is terrificly rich and terribly poor at the same time, in worsening dimensions on both ends. Until we solve the root causes of that -- and those range from the jobs we create, to poor choices that some make about their futures and their lives -- we will be stuck in the status quo.

But the idea that you should be able to live in a 'burb like WF or Knightdale and expect other residents there won't want bus service is beyond laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary