Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:04 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessj View Post
Thanks for this very informative advice BCR...only problem is that since I wrote, I've had to withdraw from the agreement [discovered the apartment had no internet connection, a real no-no, and I really will need to be able to stay in touch with friends/family/work back in London].
Odd! Did it at least have a phone or cable hookups built into it? Then you could just have those services run internet for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 11:09 AM

12 posts, read 34,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
One of the neat things about Trinity Park is that, while it has some of the most expensive real estate in Durham ($400k-$1m homes... and potentially, if the neighborhood and the developer can agree to terms, luxury condos near Brightleaf), you can still find houses under $200k.

The southern portion of Trinity Park (the original section developed by Brodie Duke) has fewer "deals" as the homes there tend to be larger. The northern section of Trinity Park (from roughly Green north to Club, and including a section east to Ruffin or thereabouts) has 1920s-1940s bungalow/cottage/Cape-style homes available in the $150k-$200k range frequently.

One 1920s brick bungalow with an adjacent vacant lot sold for $190k last year, and was rehabbed and then sold for about $300k, with the vacant lot going to McNeill Burbank, a custom builder who's adding some SFHs and townhouses in the area. The occasional teardown is also happening, with new construction going in the $300k-400k range. The neighborhood association has concerns about the teardowns and there are discussions of efforts to add some historic overlay district protections on top of the existing National Historic District recognition, so some of the teardown action may cease in the near future.
Caliboy,

By the way, I forgot to say; I find it amazing that its possible to buy a home ANYWHERE under $200,000...that's about £100,000...and in London where I live, you couldn't even buy a broom cupboard for that amount...in fact, I read in a local paper here the other day that a broom cupboard had literally gone on sale for about £170,000...property values are so high here that even disused public toilets are being brought up and converted into homes and offices...I kid you not...in fact, the estate agents [realtor] from whom I bought my apartment was based in what I know for sure was an old disused public convenience...and this isn'ty just London either...the rest of the UK is more or less the same, making it almost impossible for young professionals to get on the housing market...a criminal disgrace, I think....

Old 01-25-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Hi,

I'm from the UK and will be spending a few months at Duke over the summer...I've been offered a 1 bed apartment on west trinity avenue, which looks idel as its close to East Campus...can anyone tell me a little more about this area? How near are the shops and other local amenities? is it a friendly neighbourhood? is there a transport system nearby?

Thanks in advance for any help you're able to give!
Cessj.
Hi there

Just wanted to say a general big thanks to all of you who took the time to reply...this is one of the best and friendliest forums I've encountered so far. Its really helpful, informative, and apart from that, very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the town you live in - really makes me want so much to be there again! ... and it serves to remind me that there are so many good people out there who are willing to help others...
Cessj.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:12 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
By the way, I forgot to say; I find it amazing that its possible to buy a home ANYWHERE under $200,000...that's about £100,000...and in London where I live, you couldn't even buy a broom cupboard for that amount...in fact, I read in a local paper here the other day that a broom cupboard had literally gone on sale for about £170,000...property values are so high here that even disused public toilets are being brought up and converted into homes and offices...I kid you not...in fact, the estate agents [Realtor] from whom I bought my apartment was based in what I know for sure was an old disused public convenience...and this isn't just London either...the rest of the UK is more or less the same, making it almost impossible for young professionals to get on the housing market...a criminal disgrace, I think....
Absolutely criminal! I did not realize how unaffordable housing was back there! I wonder what will happen later after all the young up and coming labor force decides to move away for more affordable pastures?

Anyway, I look forward to your anticipated arrival here in RDU. By the time you make it here, I should have a pretty good understanding of most things around here (and hopefully have enough affordable leads for you). Yup, seems to be a great bunch here online. Now, if I can only find a great pub out here where we can all meet and throw back some Guinesses, then we'd have a party!

Old 01-25-2007, 03:31 PM

Hi BCR,

No, there was absolutely nothing, no phone, no cable, zilch...I wondered why it was going so cheaply...LOL!!
Cecily

Old 01-25-2007, 03:46 PM

Default It's Criminal!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
Absolutely criminal! I did not realize how unaffordable housing was back there! I wonder what will happen later after all the young up and coming labor force decides to move away for more affordable pastures?

Anyway, I look forward to your anticipated arrival here in RDU. By the time you make it here, I should have a pretty good understanding of most things around here (and hopefully have enough affordable leads for you). Yup, seems to be a great bunch here online. Now, if I can only find a great pub out here where we can all meet and throw back some Guinesses, then we'd have a party!
Caliboy,

Not for nothing is London known as one of the most expensive places in the world to live...and the other cities aren't much better, as young London professionals are striking out further afield in search of a. cleaner, greener and less stressful environments, and b. more affordable housing. The upshot is that even in those places where 10 years ago, nobody would have wanted to live, e.g. quiet sleepy towns such as St. Ives in the west, prices have gone through the roof, and in some places, are now not much better than London.

Its partly caused by the Conservative government of the 80 onwards selling off public housing with the result that the best got snapped up at knock down prices, while the worst of it was simply left to fall into disrepair...and it would have helped had they emabrked upon a programme of building new public housing, but there's hardly been any new public or social housing built in the last 20 years...interestingly, perhaps like Durham, there has been a lot of 'gentrification' going on, so that old working clas neighbourhoods which boasted a lot of older Victorian houses are now ubertrendy and are being snapped up by the young City professionals, so that the old communities can no longer afford to live in their neighbourhoods...

Its interesting to speculate on what will happen in the run-up to the 2012 Olympics...Stratford, the chosen venue is pretty near to where I live..this was once an old working class and very diverse community, but since it was announced that London had won the bid, there's hardly a working class toffer in sight...as for the Docklands, the transformation from an old run down decrepid area of London to highly sought after residentail area has taken place almost overnight... its certainly regenerated and rejuventaed these areas, but at a cost to the traditional communities - I doubt they'll gain much from all the squillions that are expected to flow into the area...

anyway, enough whinging for the night...

By the way, as for the reference to a pint of Guinnes, am I to take it that you have Irish roots or do you assume that's the NO.1 Choice of all Brits? LOL!!
Cessj

Old 01-25-2007, 04:37 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
By the way, as for the reference to a pint of Guinnes, am I to take it that you have Irish roots or do you assume that's the NO.1 Choice of all Brits? LOL!!
Cessj
My favorite place in Santa Monica, CA was the Ye Ol' King's Head. A terrific Pub with a great crowd, 'real' fish 'n chips, and everything authentic Brit. Of course, what with the smoking ban, more people now visit for even more fun.

Nope, no assumptions. Guinness is just one of my favorites. I ran a studio for a former employer who happened to be Brit and introduced me to the brew. Taught me all about the finer points of enjoying a good Black n Tan with a bunch of singing friends of all ages with old souls. Crumbs! Thinking about it makes me want to book the next flight back to L.A.

However, I'm sure there's something like that around here. Gotta be! What respectable city does not have a great pub!

Cheers!

Old 01-25-2007, 04:59 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
Default Did you say pubs??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
My favorite place in Santa Monica, CA was the Ye Ol' King's Head. A terrific Pub with a great crowd, 'real' fish 'n chips, and everything authentic Brit. Of course, what with the smoking ban, more people now visit for even more fun.

Nope, no assumptions. Guinness is just one of my favorites. I ran a studio for a former employer who happened to be Brit and introduced me to the brew. Taught me all about the finer points of enjoying a good Black n Tan with a bunch of singing friends of all ages with old souls. Crumbs! Thinking about it makes me want to book the next flight back to L.A.

However, I'm sure there's something like that around here. Gotta be! What respectable city does not have a great pub!

Cheers!
Caliboy, if you find a good pub, tell all, please. I have a great pub very close to my work, and it is one of my favorite places to be, so I am hoping you will find tons of wonderful ol' pubs, and share the information with us uninformed.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:24 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
Quote:
Hi BCR,

No, there was absolutely nothing, no phone, no cable, zilch...I wondered why it was going so cheaply...LOL!!
Cecily
Very odd...no phone?? Strange!!
Don't give up on this place just yet....I'd contact the companies and see how much a cable or phone hookup would be. Cuz otherwise the place sounded really nice.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:46 AM

Smile West Trinity Avenue

Hi Raleighbob

Thanks for your reply...yes, it was a great place, and I did think of having a phone line etc. installed, but I won't be staying in Durham for more than 2 months, and didn't think it worth the expense of having a phone put in...anyway, I think I might just have found somewhere else that is perfect....keep fingers crossed this one works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary