Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:28 AM

49 posts, read 185,623 times

Advertisements

For the past 10 years I have bought my furniture from Rose furniture in High Point. They have been in business for over 80 years and now they are filling bankruptcy. I thankfully received my furniture before they closed the warehouse. I looked the other day and it looks like their showroom was still open. They had great prices and have always been helpful. I don't know if they deal with credit anymore.
When all of this happened my saleperson, that I have worked with, moved over to Black's Furniture in Greensboro. When he quoted prices they were comparable to Rose. I don't know if they are the same way but Rose always had a big sale in April and August.
Even though we have always lived in the Midwest we bought our furniture from North Carolina because even with shipping the prices were still cheaper than buying at a local furniture store!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,583 times
Cool storehouse story

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Be careful about which company you buy from. Furniture stores around here have a habit of going bankrupt and leaving their customers high-and-dry.
For example...
Bankrupt Furniture Store Leaves Customers Standing :: WRAL.com

Last year, we bought $4k worth of living room furniture from Storehouse Furniture (in North Hills) on credit card a week before they declared bankruptcy. We ended up with no furniture, and a big credit card bill. We disputed the charges, and will probably get $2400 of it reversed (the maximum that a credit card company is required to refund in this case). For the rest, we have to go through all the bankruptcy paperwork, and will probably only get pennies on the dollar. And Storehouse Furniture was in business for 33 years, so I thought we were safe.

Wherever you go, make sure you use a credit card, and not cash!
----

Hello,
I was wondering how you went about filing the paperwork. I have the local store's number but I don't have anything else that I can follow up with. We purchased fabric protection plan from them but of course they are not there to do anything about it if something were to happen to our furniture. SO, I want to try getting my money back.
Thanks for your time.
A. Newbold

Old 09-27-2007, 12:51 PM

45 posts, read 159,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post

The downside is that the furniture is made in China, so you wouldn't be supporting the North Carolina furniture industry if you purchase there.
It sure is hard finding furniture that is NOT made in China. When we moved here we planned on buying some great furniture made in NC - "the furniture capital of the world." We went to High Point to look around and only found one store that carried anything that wasn't made overseas. The bedroom pieces that we did decide on (from Thomasville in Raleigh) are manufactured abroad but with wood from here. Wood gets shipped over there and the finished product gets shipped back. ...Quite a disappointment given our desire to support the local economy and get something real special from here -- but part of the reality of our global economy, I guess.

A note to anyone who wants to head out to High Point: Sunday is not a good day to do so. Many of the places are closed. Those that are open, however, are typically open in the afternoons. You can contact their Convention and Visitors Bureau for more information: High Point Convention and Visitors Bureau

Old 09-27-2007, 08:44 PM

33 posts, read 111,244 times
I have heard that green front furniture in Farmville VA gives high point a good run for the money. I've not been but several of my friends who have lived in the triangle have gone there for furniture and have recommened it. Also D & J Furniture in Roxboro has all sorts of furniture, they can also order whatever you want. We bought an awesome set for our family room and it was VERY reasonable - good service too - they were at our door delivering exactly when they said they would be there.

I have heard that green front furniture in Farmville VA gives high point a good run for the money. I've not been but several of my friends who have lived in the triangle have gone there for furniture and have recommened it. Also D & J Furniture in Roxboro has all sorts of furniture, they can also order whatever you want. We bought an awesome set for our family room and it was VERY reasonable - good service too - they were at our door delivering exactly when they said they would be there.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:29 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,657,685 times
You can check out bestpricefurnitureexpress.com I believe Jason gives free delivery within the Triangle.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:55 PM

460 posts, read 1,766,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
anyone got experience of buying IKEA furniture online? I see that they are opening a store later this year in Charlotte but would be interested if buying online worked ok
Depends on 'what' you're getting and who will be using it. It's far from 'upscale'. I'd describe it as 'gets the job done' furniture. Not a 'put down', but simply an observation. When I had a temporary assignment on the west coast, I furnished my apartment with Ikea stuff. No complaints...it got the job done. When my assignment was up, I donated everything. For teens, I think it's GREAT - especially if yours are hard on furniture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmarie View Post
Also, what about High Point? Are there any clearance centers near all those furniture places? I heard that the manufactures have good sales in Feb.?
LOVE HighPoint. I went in Feb last year, and just about lost my mind over all of the good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
My wife and I recently purchased several furniture pieces from Furniture Land South in Highpoint, NC. Their showroom was something like 11 million square feet ! And the furniture ranged from italian lether sofas that took 6-8 months to get manufactured to everyday furniture. The big plus there is you can get really nice stuff at highly discounted prices.
Furniture Land South is simply crazy. Wear your GOOD walking shoes, and have someone with you that can read store maps. If not, you'll end up walking around with other lost strangers trying to get back to 'x' location.

This place is HUGE. Picture super big, and then multiply that times a bunch. Go when they open, and plan on staying until they close. Even if you never sit down, and keep moving the entire day, you won't see everything. (did I mention: WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES!)

As the PP said, the options are from all price ranges, all styles, all everything.

I've been in a LOT of stores in my lifetime. I've never seen a place like Furniture Land before. Ever.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:58 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,101,107 times
Whitley's in Zebulon is my new favorite store...very affordable

Whitley Furniture Galleries - North Carolina

Old 03-25-2009, 11:20 PM

17 posts, read 99,322 times
I furnished most of my house at Haverty's on Glennwood Avenue. I found it not too expensive and good quality furniture. I also thought the sales person was very professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary