Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 04:37 PM

38 posts, read 167,288 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the area next week. I am looking for advice on good, but reasonable, furniture stores. Anyone with names of stores/advice please share!! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 04:55 PM

567 posts, read 2,141,434 times
There are several all in a row on the north part of Glenwood Ave. You should be able to find something there - good variety.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:59 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1264 View Post
There are several all in a row on the north part of Glenwood Ave. You should be able to find something there - good variety.
I second this, but some are very pricey. Some very nice. Some just blah. Just know what you're shopping for, bargain hunt and negotiate when you can. Seems like NC is the furniture capital of the nation, so there is a lot of competition.

Also, I heard there are a lot of furniture places, including antique furniture places, in Greenboro. I have not yet confirmed this as a few other people have mentioned this to me, but if anyone knows for a fact some great furniture places there that offer a great deal, certainly post them.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:06 PM

225 posts, read 954,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisville2007 View Post
My family and I are moving to the area next week. I am looking for advice on good, but reasonable, furniture stores. Anyone with names of stores/advice please share!! Thank you!!

Our out-of-state home is still on the market & we didn't want to empty it, so the only furniture we brought with us where our beds.

We furnished our rental with just about everything off craigslist.com. We got really good deals & actually some nice things! So when our lease is up, we will resell the stuff & donate it.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:13 PM

225 posts, read 954,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post

Also, I heard there are a lot of furniture places, including antique furniture places, in Greenboro. I have not yet confirmed this as a few other people have mentioned this to me, but if anyone knows for a fact some great furniture places there that offer a great deal, certainly post them.
I'd like to know about those too!

Also, what about High Point? Are there any clearance centers near all those furniture places? I heard that the manufactures have good sales in Feb.?

Old 01-23-2007, 05:37 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,590 times
Be careful about which company you buy from. Furniture stores around here have a habit of going bankrupt and leaving their customers high-and-dry.
For example...
http://www.wral.com/5onyourside/story/1169677/

Last year, we bought $4k worth of living room furniture from Storehouse Furniture (in North Hills) on credit card a week before they declared bankruptcy. We ended up with no furniture, and a big credit card bill. We disputed the charges, and will probably get $2400 of it reversed (the maximum that a credit card company is required to refund in this case). For the rest, we have to go through all the bankruptcy paperwork, and will probably only get pennies on the dollar. And Storehouse Furniture was in business for 33 years, so I thought we were safe.

Wherever you go, make sure you use a credit card, and not cash!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:12 PM

38 posts, read 167,288 times
Thanks everyone for the responses!!

Old 01-23-2007, 08:22 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,590 times
One other quick suggestion....

FEFCO Fine Furniture in High Point has absolutely amazing furniture (mostly hand-carved teakwood). The prices are on the high end (I'd say comparable to Ethan Allen), but a bargain for what you're getting.

The downside is that the furniture is made in China, so you wouldn't be supporting the North Carolina furniture industry if you purchase there.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:04 AM

98 posts, read 637,252 times
anyone got experience of buying IKEA furniture online? I see that they are opening a store later this year in Charlotte but would be interested if buying online worked ok

Old 01-24-2007, 05:13 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
My wife and I recently purchased several furniture pieces from Furniture Land South in Highpoint, NC. Their showroom was something like 11 million square feet ! And the furniture ranged from italian lether sofas that took 6-8 months to get manufactured to everyday furniture. The big plus there is you can get really nice stuff at highly discounted prices. Delivery does usually take a month or two and they only deal with cash / check at furnitureland, but we had no problems. If you are looking for local stores, Glenwood avenue is your best bet. Aside from the brnad name stores you should defintiely check out somoe of the lesser knwon stores since some of them are outlet type stores that also have soem great deals. Furniture Warehouse on Glenwood avenue comes to mind. Another great source for furniture is the State Fairgrounds Flea market! Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary