U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-28-2008, 07:00 PM

997 posts, read 2,960,610 times
Question Have You Seen This Spider

I have this impressive looking spider on my breakfast room window. I hope it's not poisonous though. It has black and white legs. It's body is flourescent yellow and black (almost like a bumblebee). It's spins this cotton in it's web. The picture isn't great because it's on the glass and I keep getting the reflection everytime I try and take a picture. Hard picture to take.

Let me know if anyone knows what this is. I miss everyone on this forum. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Have You Seen This Spider-spider-002.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 6 days ago)

21,911 posts, read 38,797,534 times
I am thinking it may be a wolf spider but it is hard to tell in the photo.
If you want to see it eyes turn the lights out and stick a flash light to your forehead.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:06 PM

15 posts, read 57,175 times
Its a type of garden spider (Harmless!). They build quite impressive webs and "write" in them.
Argiope aurantia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 PM

190 posts, read 392,844 times
Definitely a garden spider! Those lil guys are SOOOO awesome! And yes, they are completely harmless.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:18 PM

997 posts, read 2,960,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Native & RDU Local View Post
Its a type of garden spider (Harmless!). They build quite impressive webs and "write" in them.
Argiope aurantia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's exactly what it is. Thanks everyone. I knew you could do it. My husband has been trying to figure this out for weeks. I told him all I had to do was post here and I'd have my answer.

How's the Triangle doing everyone (besides the Nancy Cooper and Triangle Town incident)? I'll be back soon for a visit. Our oldest son stayed behind (didn't want to leave NC) (don't blame him) and we helped him get his own apt.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:29 AM

98 posts, read 380,180 times
I work in Asheboro and see them constantly near streams. They must like water, they sure are fascinating!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 39,614 times
Yup...it's a garden spider. Just had a few of them in our front yard. The website says they are not poisonous or aggressive..however, these things have fangs as big as a house! So sure it might not be aggressive but I'm sure it packs a mean bite!

Old 08-05-2008, 08:47 AM

259 posts, read 612,519 times
Speaking of spiders, has anyone seen the solid black spiders? In 2 months I've had 2 of them on my kitchen floor. They were both close to 2" wide and the same for thier length. You can actualy get close to them and they don't try to get out of your way. I'm new to NC so I'm getting used to the critters here. I'm sure they are hameless, but scary looking!

Old 08-05-2008, 09:00 AM

3,467 posts, read 6,397,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermey View Post
Speaking of spiders, has anyone seen the solid black spiders? In 2 months I've had 2 of them on my kitchen floor. They were both close to 2" wide and the same for thier length. You can actualy get close to them and they don't try to get out of your way. I'm new to NC so I'm getting used to the critters here. I'm sure they are hameless, but scary looking!
Solid black? Look like this Black Widow? Check out the spiders we have here in the Carolinas - North Carolina Spider Photos

Last edited by Sayantsi; 08-05-2008 at 09:08 AM..

Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 PM

259 posts, read 612,519 times
Default Spiders

No, it doesn't look anything like the photo. It's big and appears to have more legs, if that's possible. The legs are also thicker than the photo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary