U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:06 PM

32 posts, read 114,107 times

Advertisements

How much would you tip your movers; would you tip them at all? How about for a small move from Charlotte or a medium size move from Michigan; both to Holly Springs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 06:48 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,812,077 times
Tipping cows, that made me laugh. We did a local move and bought our movers lunch, had drinks for them and then tipped them 100 bucks total (there were 4 movers) and they were with us for 8 hours.

When my sister moved she did PODS, so they tipped when the people loaded the PODS in new hampshire and unloaded here in NC. I think they tipped 50 bucks (two movers, 2 hours).

I was just so happy that someone else was moving my furniture and doing a very good job that I felt like they deserved something for me not having to fight with my husband about how to move something!!!

Leigh

Old 01-25-2007, 07:16 AM

653 posts, read 2,721,748 times
I grew up in a military family, moving every couple years. My mom always went out of her way to have cold drinks and great meals for the movers. She also said that she made sure they knew that she was paying close attention to how things were packed and handled, pointing out when they took special care with the piano, etc., but also having them repack the china when they didn't wrap each plate individually. And then, yes, she offered a monetary tip as well. I think $20-25 per mover, depending upon the length of time they are with you, is appropriate, as the pp said.

One other thing - make sure as they bring the goods back IN to the house on the other end, that you inspect each box before it goes into the house. You are supposed to do that anyway, but when we moved here, we had three guys trying to bring boxes in through three different doors, yelling out the box numbers for me to "check off". We stopped them, and made them bring each box/item through the garage so I could physically see it (like I was supposed to). And I smiled and offered sweet tea and sandwiches while doing it!

Old 01-25-2007, 08:37 AM

3,124 posts, read 11,493,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psc330 View Post
How much would you tip your movers; would you tip them at all? How about for a small move from Charlotte or a medium size move from Michigan; both to Holly Springs?
Do youself a favor and get them a nice meal if they are there are there for more then four hours (store bought or homemade), cold drinks and snack if they are there for less. You want them to have good feelings while they pack your stuff....lol!

I tipped 20$ a guy on top, but I had quite a bit and they did a very good job with nothing broken or damaged.

When they unloaded, they were there less time, but I had drinks and snacks and each guy got 15$ each.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:43 AM

1,533 posts, read 5,020,084 times
When I moved last June, I had 2 Men and a Truck move me. It ended up being 3 Men and a Truck, and these guys were awesome. I tipped them each $50. Its good to tip them with cash because if you include it in the CC or check, they don't get that until next pay day. I think for as hard as my guys worked they should be able to have a little cash right away. They do work hard and don't get paid that great, so tips I'm sure are appreciated. Alot of these are young college guys, trying to make a living....be kind. :-)

Old 01-25-2007, 12:20 PM

110 posts, read 301,334 times
I've always tipped movers. They work damned hard and of course I always seem to end up moving on the hottest day of the year! I've been lucky that nothing of value has ever been damaged.

On one move morning I woke up at 6 am with the flu...stomach, fever, the whole deal. The movers were very nice to me. I actually slept on the couch while they moved stuff from around me!

We always give them cold drinks, and pizza if they'll accept it. I just hope that same company does NJ to NC!

Old 01-25-2007, 12:32 PM

251 posts, read 1,035,034 times
Quote:
On one move morning I woke up at 6 am with the flu...stomach, fever, the whole deal. The movers were very nice to me. I actually slept on the couch while they moved stuff from around me!
Whooaa. That must have been one rough move. I feel for you. But it sounds like you had some really good people helping out.

I once had bronchitis during a move and it was mid-summer. Something to forget I'm afraid.

We've done a lot of moving and always grab lunch to bring back for the guys helping, along with cold drinks all day long. We've never tipped them though and I've never heard of anyone doing that until this thread.

You all are such nice people! My personal feeling is that tipping is not necessary, but there is no problem with doing it if desired.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:12 PM

14 posts, read 45,524 times
An average tip for movers depends on the move circumstances. From michigan to Holly Springs would be a bit more because of the additional travel time. I'd say $20 for the local Charlotte to Holly Springs, and $50 for the Michigan move.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:17 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,810,162 times
When we moved, we ordered them pizzas for lunch and I bought a couple bottles of soda for them. We also tipped them about $100.00 total. I can't remember how many there were, but I think 3 or 4. This was a local move, less than 10 miles.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:51 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,179,968 times
I have never tipped household movers. I figure I am paying them thousands of dollars to move me. Would an extra $20-50 really make much of a difference?

I do always offer food and drink, though.

The only time I tip movers if it's a place that offers free delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary