Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:45 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoyMommy View Post
In 1990 93% of children living in Wake County went to a public school. In 1996 that percentage was 90%, last year it was 83%. 1 out of every 5 children in Wake County does not attend their assigned public school...and that's a conservative estimate because people don't have to register their homeschooling children until they are 7. When the parents of 20% of the children in this county chose an alternative to their public school that to me speaks volumes as to the confidence (or lack there of) that parents have in the Wake County Public School System.
Where did you find these statistics? Could you provide a link? I've never heard these numbers before, so I'm curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:49 AM

488 posts, read 1,554,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Where did you find these statistics? Could you provide a link? I've never heard these numbers before, so I'm curious.
WakeEd - Wake's school market share | newsobserver.com blogs

Old 08-04-2008, 08:51 AM

718 posts, read 2,973,215 times
I picked West Cary over Chapel Hill. I didn't like the college town vibe at all. Very happy in West Cary and my kids go to W. Cary schools.(Highcroft)

Old 08-04-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
.....but it isn't like kids are getting bused from West Cary to East Raleigh.
I really don't know is Joyner considered East Raleigh?

Old 08-04-2008, 08:53 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,696,511 times
Quote:
Yes I do actually. Ask the families in nodes 381.4, 381.5, 381.6, 381.8 who were all
re-districted this year from Davis Drive (West Cary) to Laurel Park Elementary(Apex) and then got Joyner Elementary, (19 miles away), as their traditional opt-out....I bet they wouldn't take that bet.

Like you I don't have a pony in this or anything to prove but I think that people deserve to know what they are getting into.
I am aware that students in part of Macarthur Park (one of the nodes your referenced) were reassigned from DDE to Laurel Park Elementary (about 2 miles away from Macarthur Park). That's really not that far and my guess is based on the demographics that school pulls from it will be an excellent school, like almost all of the new schools in this part of Wake County. It's true their traditional option really wasn't feasible, but for the majority that are satisfied with YR, there is no busing. No one was forced to send their children to Joyner and I doubt many made that choice.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:59 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
From the above source:
"It's estimated nationally that 89 percent of students are educated in traditional public schools."

Sounds like Wake County's 83% is well within the normal bounds of that average. I don't really see the problem. I don't think the home schooling numbers "speak volumes". I think they support what is a national trend. Home schooling should not automatically be considered a statement for or against any school system. To do so is a bit disingenuous. Many of the people that I know who home school would do so no matter where they lived in this country.

Back to the OP’s question: I would investigate both places thoroughly keeping commuting distance in mind. I think the differences between the schools are negligible and any determination will be a personal one. There is no right answer here, just personal choices. Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:07 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
From the above source:
"It's estimated nationally that 89 percent of students are educated in traditional public schools."

Sounds like Wake County's 83% is well within the normal bounds of that average. I don't really see the problem. I don't think the home schooling numbers "speak volumes". I think they support what is a national trend. Home schooling should not automatically be considered a statement for or against any school system. To do so is a bit disingenuous. Many of the people that I know who home school would do so no matter where they lived in this country.

Back to the OP’s question: I would investigate both places thoroughly keeping commuting distance in mind. I think the differences between the schools are negligible and any determination will be a personal one. There is no right answer here, just personal choices. Good Luck!
There also isn't a significant difference between Wake County and Orange County schools on this measure. According to the statistics here on City Data, Orange County actually has a higher percentage of students in private schools for grades 1 to 8.

WAKE COUNTY
http://www.city-data.com/county/Wake_County-NC.html

Private vs. public school enrollment:
Students in private schools in grades 1 to 8 (elementary and middle school): 7,269
Here: 10.0%
North Carolina: 8.2%

Students in private schools in grades 9 to 12 (high school): 3,328
Here: 10.9%
North Carolina: 6.9%

ORANGE COUNTY
http://www.city-data.com/county/Orange_County-NC.html

Students in private schools in grades 1 to 8 (elementary and middle school): 1,379
Here: 12.0%

Students in private schools in grades 9 to 12 (high school): 513
Here: 9.6%

I agree that commute would be my major issue in choosing between Chapel Hill and Cary. It was for us and we have no regrets!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
I am aware that students in part of Macarthur Park (one of the nodes your referenced) were reassigned from DDE to Laurel Park Elementary (about 2 miles away from Macarthur Park). That's really not that far and my guess is based on the demographics that school pulls from it will be an excellent school, like almost all of the new schools in this part of Wake County. It's true their traditional option really wasn't feasible, but for the majority that are satisfied with YR, there is no busing. No one was forced to send their children to Joyner and I doubt many made that choice.
I agree that Laurel Park isn't that far away but to put in perspective they took these 4 nodes from a Traditional Calendar School and forced them to go to a Year round school or they could chose to stay on the same Traditional Calendar they had been on for years and they would drive 19 miles to Joyner in Raleigh. You may think oh no big deal these people need to suck it up and go with the flow and take the year round assignment but what if these people have middle school or high school kids that are on Traditional calendars? Now they can either have their kids split up so they never have breaks in common or they can drive to Joyner.

So yes the 2 mile trek may not be a big deal to some but they completely changed their school calendar and told them to basically suck it up or drive 19 miles across Raleigh to Joyner. So yes I also doubt that many made that choice...not that there was really a choice to make as you said it was not a "feasible" option.

Again I think people deserve to understand the situation.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
There also isn't a significant difference between Wake County and Orange County schools on this measure. According to the statistics here on City Data, Orange County actually has a higher percentage of students in private schools for grades 1 to 8.

WAKE COUNTY
http://www.city-data.com/county/Wake_County-NC.html

Students in private schools in grades 1 to 8 (elementary and middle school): 7,269
Here: 10.0%

Students in private schools in grades 9 to 12 (high school): 3,328
Here: 10.9%

ORANGE COUNTY
http://www.city-data.com/county/Orange_County-NC.html

Students in private schools in grades 1 to 8 (elementary and middle school): 1,379
Here: 12.0%

Students in private schools in grades 9 to 12 (high school): 513
Here: 9.6%

I agree that commute would be my major issue in choosing between Chapel Hill and Cary. It was for us and we have no regrets!

The Chapel Hill School system is not party of the Orange County school system. Do you have numbers for those living within the Chapel Hill school system?

Old 08-04-2008, 09:20 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Quote:
The Chapel Hill School system is not party of the Orange County school system. Do you have numbers for those living within the Chapel Hill school system?
You pointed out the question I had about those same statistics. Chapel Hill is certainly in Orange County, but it isn't part of the Orange County public school system. We can only guess whether City Data got those statistics from the ORange County school system alone or if they also incorporated statistics from the Chapel Hill & Carrboro school system. I'm inclined to believe it's the latter, but we can't know for certain.

In either case, the point is that this is all subjective. Some people prefer Chapel Hill. Some people prefer Cary. Each family must decide for themselves which is better for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary