U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-04-2008, 05:31 PM

151 posts, read 484,830 times

Advertisements

Ive been looking at homes and watching prices in Raleigh & Durham and most of them that I like (in the pictures anyway) say "Site Built Stick". Is this the norm? I was under the impression that those houses are built cheaply. Am I mistaken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 05:46 PM

3,021 posts, read 7,617,772 times
Don't let this worry you. When a house is "site built stick", that simply means that the house was built entirely on the site. These are different from "pre-fabricated" houses or "manufactured homes" which are put together in factories.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:04 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,759,591 times
The only thing that means is that it is not a mobile home

Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 AM

19,717 posts, read 31,536,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renee_cal View Post
Ive been looking at homes and watching prices in Raleigh & Durham and most of them that I like (in the pictures anyway) say "Site Built Stick". Is this the norm? I was under the impression that those houses are built cheaply. Am I mistaken?
"Site Built Stick" means that the framers had to assemble the walls on site, from lumber and sheathing.
"Site Built Stick" may refer to townhomes or detached single family homes.

Many builders currently assemble the frame from wall panels that are built in a factory, with the wall panel package being delivered in a stack of walls via flat bed truck.
Walls are framed, and exterior walls have the sheathing installed on the stud framing.
With a crane, a good crew can assemble a home much faster, and get it dried in from the elements quicker.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:11 AM

Location: Former Michigander living in Durham, NC (SW Durham)
675 posts, read 1,586,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Site Built Stick" means that the framers had to assemble the walls on site, from lumber and sheathing.

Many builders currently assemble the frame from wall panels that are built in a factory, with the wall panel package being delivered in a stack of walls via flat bed truck.
Walls are framed, and exterior walls have the sheathing installed on the stud framing.
With a crane, a good crew can assemble a home much faster, and get it dried in from the elements quicker.
Thanks, Mike. I KNEW we could count on one of our knowledgeable realtors to easily define what it means!

Old 08-05-2008, 01:44 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,335,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Yeah, I think the period of on-site construction entirely of unassembled materials is long gone. I see flat-bed trucks with pre-assembled roof trusses on the highways quite frequently nowadays.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:48 PM

3,021 posts, read 7,617,772 times
Mike, where is the line drawn? How many prefabricated elements can be used in construction before a house is no longer considered "site built stick"? Is there a legal definition?

Old 08-05-2008, 02:17 PM

19,717 posts, read 31,536,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Mike, where is the line drawn? How many prefabricated elements can be used in construction before a house is no longer considered "site built stick"? Is there a legal definition?

That's one I can't answer. A code official might be able to answer, but I think it would revolve around manufactured components that had concealment of structural connections, or electrical, plumbing, or mechanical system components that would render on-site inspections impossible.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 PM

151 posts, read 484,830 times
THANK YOU ALL!

I feel much comfortable now with this info. I love the NC forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary