Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 07:30 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,096 times

Advertisements

That is weird. But I do agree with the person that said she meant it in a friendly way. There are some nosey people out there. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 07:58 PM

17 posts, read 88,182 times
Well, Lolligrump - glad you could brush it off. That's a terrible welcoming to the area. Some neighborhoods aren't so great. If you are looking for a house and want detailed info about neighborhoods/schools/prices, etc, feel free to email me. I'm a Realtor here and would love to help you.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:34 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Hey lolligrump, while you are in NC enjoying the friendlier folks...I'm going to Austin Texas for a few days. Any place in particular that I should check out? Vicki

Old 01-28-2007, 03:48 PM

425 posts, read 1,256,747 times
Hey VickiR: Don't forget to check out downtown, especially the skyline after dark. It is so beautiful! If you wander down 6th street near I-35 you will see some interesting people. Great shops and good food everywhere you look down there. Barton Springs Rd, has some great restaurants, and Zilker Park is huge and very nice. You should have lots of stuff to look at. Enjoy and let me know how you like it - Take Care!

Old 01-29-2007, 07:37 PM

21 posts, read 76,460 times
My vote:
Forced sale of the property via a law suit. She doesn't want to sell, so she spends her days 'bulldoging' her property.
This would make a good southern short story if anyone is interested.
Kidding aside, you'll find that behavior rare around here. And when you don't, good comebacks can be such fun.
Welcome.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:46 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
[quote=mm_mary73;308307]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolligrump View Post
,.. I believe the same car that we encountered on the previous street came towards us from the other direction, stopped beside us and honked her horn. I rolled down the window and smiled, and she asked, "Are you looking for someone?" I answered, no that we were just looking at properties. She then said, "Well keep on looking", and drove off.
....QUOTE]

Actually, she probably meant it in a friendly way. as "don't let me stop you".
Man driving down road.
Woman driving up same road.
They pass each other.
The woman yells out the window, PIG!
Man yells out window, B I T C H!
Man rounds next curve.
Man crashes into a HUGE PIG in middle of road and dies.

Thought For the Day: If only men would listen !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Point of sharing the story: Isn't it just as easy to assume that she was being friendly as it is to assume she was being a _____. She may have been disappointed that she couldn't be helpful and, therefore, have something to share with the girls at bridge. Pollyanna lives!

Old 01-30-2007, 03:51 PM

425 posts, read 1,256,747 times
Thanks for the smile, mm_mary73! The lady we encountered was not offering any southern hospitality - I was gracious in my response to her, but she was a very sour woman ... My guess is she has had enough of the development out there and is fighting to keep her, "way of life", such as it is. Would loved to have talked to her about it, but the way she went zooming off, it wouldn't have been possible. Oh well, her loss, not mine.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:00 PM

251 posts, read 1,142,577 times
Quote:
My husband thought that she is probably bent out of shape over everyone moving into the area, that was once, "Out in the boonies".
Did I actually read that here?

You met one person you assume is a southerner (by accent I assume) and you start a thread and make a statement like that? Saying this place was "the boonies" before people from other areas moved in?

You do want friends here, don't you?

Frankly, I think it would be a little odd if I started a thread sharing my two experiences earlier today with two people who clearly were not natives.

But for grins, I'll share the experiences here:

I was in Michaels and asked an employee where a certain item was and she about blew me halfway across the store with her impatience and rudeness. She actually raised her voice with me. Tell me: What was her problem? Frankly, I don't care enough to care.

I was also in Home Depot today and the guy loading my trunk with mulch was so irritated that when I graciously thanked him he grunted, walked away and didn't close the trunk. He was not a southerner either. But I'm not going to say much about the kind of "boonie city" he may have been from because I know a lot of others from his territory who are really fine folks and I don't want to offend them here.

If you're offended, I'm sorry. But I agree with others here that the woman was probably doing what good southerners do (or anyone for that matter) and keeping a watch for her neighbor - who could have been out of town for all you know and asked people to keep an eye open. She didn't know you from Adam and you're telling her you're looking at houses didn't mean a whole lot.

Anyway, welcome to the South. We're the same here as people everywhere else. We watch out for our neighbors whether they're from the "boonies" or whether they're from out of state. Count yourself lucky.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:16 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,341 times
If I knew for sure she was being rude and being the smart !@# that I am I would have said I am looking for my drug dealer's house.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:29 PM

251 posts, read 1,142,577 times
LOL!!!! That's a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary