U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 AM

475 posts, read 1,398,783 times

Advertisements

So, we have had insurance through Nationwide for the last 15 years. Both of us are safe drivers, no speeding tickets or anything, we also have our home owners insurance through them. Just got the Homeowners insurance renewal bill, and decided to do some shopping to see where our rates are compared to other insurances. All State just came back with the auto insurance rates to be half of what I am paying with Nationwide. I compared it with my current insurance, and EVERYTHING is the same, and All State is half of what I have been paying. I asked the All State agent and he said that they have adjusted rates in the Morrisville/Cary/Apex area about a year ago so there will not be any changes for a while. The Homeowners is a tad bit higher than Nationwide's and he said to send him the different rates and he is going to see what he can do to match the price.I am just amazed by this. Wouldn't this be a no-brainer to change insurance companies???D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,214,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by des1rees View Post
So, we have had insurance through Nationwide for the last 15 years. Both of us are safe drivers, no speeding tickets or anything, we also have our home owners insurance through them. Just got the Homeowners insurance renewal bill, and decided to do some shopping to see where our rates are compared to other insurances. All State just came back with the auto insurance rates to be half of what I am paying with Nationwide. I compared it with my current insurance, and EVERYTHING is the same, and All State is half of what I have been paying. I asked the All State agent and he said that they have adjusted rates in the Morrisville/Cary/Apex area about a year ago so there will not be any changes for a while. The Homeowners is a tad bit higher than Nationwide's and he said to send him the different rates and he is going to see what he can do to match the price.I am just amazed by this. Wouldn't this be a no-brainer to change insurance companies???D
Heck yeah change LOL

I've used Allstate for YEARS and love the fact you can make monthly payments if needed.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:07 AM

43 posts, read 50,826 times
Also run an online quote through Geico & Progressive. Compare all four and go with the lowest. Don't pay any more than you have to.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:31 AM

83 posts, read 299,822 times
Quote:
Be a little careful here. Last year, AllState introduced a big discount for taking business away from Nationwide amongst other large companies (State Farm, etc.) Be aware that this discount will fade away each policy term. After a couple years, the discount will be fully removed. Nationwide is now doing the same thing. They are also putting you into their new business company, which is really underpriced and they are putting rates out there to gain market share. However, what will happen is they will be forced to raise rates in that company, and could be rather significant over a period of time.

You were probably in Nationwide Mutual company, and you have likely not seen your premium move in forever. That is a good thing in insurance, price stability. I did pricing for Nationwide Auto and really what AllState is doing is a gimmick. Be prepared over the coming years for rate hikes.

Agents rarely know what they are talking about (doesn't matter the company) and they can't match anything. Rates are determined and filed with the Department of Insurance and there is no discretionary ability to lower or raise premiums. The DOI does an exam of every company to make sure the calculated rates match the filings for the correct period of time. LOL! That is an agent that smells Auto and Home, which is a nice get and he is going to say anything to get you to switch.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:09 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

D

Old 08-05-2008, 04:24 PM

635 posts, read 1,612,883 times
Funny, I'm getting ready to kick Allstate to the curb for charging me double State Farm's home insurance rates for the exact same policy and coverage.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:59 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,495,293 times
I've had good luck for years with Met Life. Great service too.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:25 PM

741 posts, read 3,208,465 times
Quote:
HUH, It was just the opposite for me. We've had Allstate for over 20 yrs. No accidents, 1 new vehicle, full coverage, 1 1993 vehicle, liability only, and Nationwide came in at almost $400.00 cheaper with better coverage.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC little foot View Post
HUH, It was just the opposite for me. We've had Allstate for over 20 yrs. No accidents, 1 new vehicle, full coverage, 1 1993 vehicle, liability only, and Nationwide came in at almost $400.00 cheaper with better coverage.
Another acquaintaince told me the same thing...they had All State fro 14 years and then switched to Nationwide since they came in cheaper. I think this is how they can get new customers...by offering cheaper premiums to the people switching...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary