U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:11 PM

823 posts, read 2,735,310 times

Advertisements

I was looking at some nice looking, reasonably priced homes for sale in Brentwood and found this slideshow about Brentwood. Can anyone tell me more, positive or negative, about the neighborhood?

Thanks,
Alice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 10:41 PM

10,378 posts, read 17,759,049 times
Brentwood started out as a very middle class neighborhood. Most of the folks that lived in there raised their kids and stayed. However, in the last few years, the homes have not been kept up as well. People got older, moved on or kept the homes as rentals. Alot of renters have taken over and just not kept up their yards. Its one of those neighborhoods that needs to have some TLC and hopefully as more people move in, the area will go up in value. Vicki

Old 01-26-2007, 06:15 AM

19,560 posts, read 30,982,095 times
Location is great for proximity to downtown Raleigh, and to some shopping.
Houses don't appreciate a great deal, which has kept them affordable.
Like Vicki says, a lot of rentals. That is due to the price point, which attracts investors.
Brentwood has been rumored off and on over the years to be "coming back," but it hasn't really taken off.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:27 AM

1,531 posts, read 5,228,508 times
They seem to have a very active neighborhood group that gets involved in things...even got the city to put speed bumps on some streets to improve safety.
The proximity to downtown is better than most north raleigh neighborhoods, which is a big plus. But just down the road is Woodcrest which is just as affordable as Brentwood but actually appreciating faster since it is a bit closer into town.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:52 AM

Thank you everyone for the information. Is there any problem with crime there? (I don't mind if it's a bit shabby. We do want safe, though.) We're interested in the neighborhood because of it's proximity to Casa Esperanza, which is near I-540 and Capitol Blvd.

Thanks,
Alice

Old 01-26-2007, 09:04 AM

9,074 posts, read 18,625,683 times
I have a friend who just recently moved out of Brentwood. He thought it was on ok neighborhood, but mentioned that a nearby portion had been converted into Section 8 Housing (Not sure exactly what that means) and that in the past year or so there was a bit more criminal activity in the area than usual. Nothing very serious, he just noticed cops around more often. I think younger people are moving into the area and fixing up some of the older places becasue it is pretty much just outside the beltline and in close proximity to Downtown. I have seen a lot of listings in the past year or so in the $165K range and they look they investors have doen soem serious renovations so the homes look pretty nice. Liek previous posters said, I don't think that area has seen a whole lot of appreciation. I still think it is worth checking out though. It is an established neighborhood with trees and some decent lot sizes. Some of the streets are better than others, but with a littel time and some TLC that could be a really cool neighborhood. The only thing I couldn't get past about it is how you pretty much get stuck using Capital Boulevard a lot if you live there, and I try to avoid Capital Boulevard at all costs.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:41 AM

NRG,

Thanks for the info. I'd be interested to know which area is Section 8 (Public subsidised housing).

Thanks,
Alice

Old 01-26-2007, 08:34 PM

505 posts, read 1,640,019 times
I have never lived in the Brentwood area. But I have heard there is a lot of gang activity these days. It was once a nice area....

Old 01-26-2007, 08:37 PM

19,560 posts, read 30,982,095 times
NRG, Atlantic Avenue is a good alternative to Capitol Blvd.

Section 8 housing would be house by house in a SFR neighborhood like Brentwood.
"Areas" aren't "converted." Dwelling units are registered by the owner, and approved and inspected and regulated by the Raleigh Housing Authority.
Whether Section 8, or standard market rentals, absentee and unresponsive and irresponsible landlords are the issue, not the rent program.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:43 PM

401 posts, read 1,087,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
I have never lived in the Brentwood area. But I have heard there is a lot of gang activity these days. It was once a nice area....
This is pretty accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary