U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 PM

9,671 posts, read 27,993,029 times

Advertisements

Had the opportunity to snap a few quick pictures of the exterior of the new convention center and Shimmer Wall today. I also stopped in to check out the new Marriot next door. It has only been open for 8 days at this point. Has a cool looking italian restaurant inside and a starbucks attached to the lobby.

These pictures were taken on August 6, 2008

Convention Center

Shimmer Wall (Cool!)

The New Marriot Hotel adjacent to the Convention Center

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-dsc08521.html

Lobby

Restaurant

Lobby

Links with more info:
Marriott will nearly double downtown Raleigh hotel rooms :: WRAL.com
newsobserver.com | Raleigh's shimmer wall draws attention (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/wake/raleigh/story/1137946.html - broken link)
newsobserver.com | Videos:: : Raleigh's Shimmer Wall
Raleigh Convention Center:Homepage
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 09:34 PM

43 posts, read 56,094 times
Looks like everything is coming along very nicely.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:29 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,139,967 times
I really hate the firewall at my work! I can't wait to see these pictures when I get home. We had brunch at Poole's last Saturday and took a look at the shimmer wall in person. It is awesome. The constant movement of the "pixels" really is beautiful, something that is hard to capture in a still photo. I can't wait until they turn the LED's on when the convention center opens!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:33 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,948,717 times
I am going there in Oct for an event and I can't wait to see it in person!

Old 08-07-2008, 09:08 AM

9,671 posts, read 27,993,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I really hate the firewall at my work! I can't wait to see these pictures when I get home.
I'm not sure how firewalls work, but I have the pictures from this post in my City-data Album as well. You *might* be able to view them there in the meantime.

My city-data photo album

Old 08-07-2008, 09:13 AM

374 posts, read 1,500,518 times
what is the shimmer wall? Does it change? Or is it reflecting, i cant tell.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:44 AM

764 posts, read 1,701,117 times
The shimmer wall is awesome...its made of thousands of "Pixels" that move with the breeze. Can't wait to see it in color like on this link, but its beatiful without too. On a windy day, the view driving down Dawson is really beautiful. I vote for some strategically placed benches so that you can sit and watch it. You need to be a half a block or so away from it to really appreciate it. Here is the info about it:

Raleigh Convention Center: Convention Center Shines with "Shimmer Wall" Courtesy of Cree, Inc. (http://www.raleighconvention.com/index.php/homepage/news?action=news-detail&neid=29 - broken link)

Old 08-07-2008, 09:55 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,139,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm not sure how firewalls work, but I have the pictures from this post in my City-data Album as well. You *might* be able to view them there in the meantime.

My city-data photo album
Thanks, they are great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfamilyof4 View Post
what is the shimmer wall? Does it change? Or is it reflecting, i cant tell.
twoisbetter pretty much summed it up. The pixels are tiny squares of metal (aluminum?). The image of the tree is static (doesn't change), but the entire thing moves with air movement as the pixels flutter - imagine the entire image with a wave running across it with the wind such as the left side of the wall in NRG's photo:

The shimmer wall was built to cover up the convention center's giant (and unattractive) HVAC system, so the pixels will probably always have some amount of movement to them even if there isn't a lot of wind due to the system working behind it. I've heard that the LED backlighting will be able to be programmed to change colors for various different occasions, such as holidays, special events, etc. I love it! A great addition to Raleigh's developing skyline.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:25 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,948,717 times
I don't want to derail this thread-great pics, NRG!-but, is the Days Inn Downtown a tough walk to this place? Mapquest has it at .85 mile, but is that walkable, or like crossing major highways?

Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 PM

545 posts, read 1,275,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
I don't want to derail this thread-great pics, NRG!-but, is the Days Inn Downtown a tough walk to this place? Mapquest has it at .85 mile, but is that walkable, or like crossing major highways?
All of downtown is walkable. It's pretty compact, and there are no highways running through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary