U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 04:41 PM

46 posts, read 440,787 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be informative if those familiar with Raleigh, would list their top 5 positives and 5 negatives about the Raleigh Metro area. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 08:15 PM

19,765 posts, read 31,656,940 times

1. The people.
2. The climate
3. Close to the ocean and mountains
4. Eastern Carolina pulled pork barbecue
5. Big-time hockey in a big-time, small-town setting.
6. The people.

1. RC and Moon Pies
2. Same political corruption as anywhere else.
3. N & O delivery people throw the paper in the grass when it is raining.
4. "Spectator" was bought out.
5. "Darryl's" closed

Old 01-27-2007, 11:58 PM

653 posts, read 2,147,943 times
Hooray!
1. Drivers let you merge in traffic during rush hour - and they smile and wave (You should smile and wave back!!!)
2. Spring and Fall (I'm from Florida, so we'd never really experienced these...)
3. Traffic (yes, this is on the "positive" side! hooray!)
4. see pp, proximity to ocean and mountains
5. Sports fans love it here - hockey, great ACC basketball and football action.

Boo.
1. There is still rush hour traffic in spots. The beltline, I-40... and I'm sure 540 is a matter of time, although right now, it's a breeze.
2. ...for some people summer feels humid. Again, being from Florida (swampland), whatever, but if you're from the desert, then I guess it's a little moist. For us, it's a pleasant change.
3. Missing family and friends in Florida. (unless you grew up here, who doesn't?)
4. The beach is 2 hours, not 20 minutes.
5. Lack of anything non-ACC or hockey. Where's my SEC coverage??? I mean, I'm not asking for front page here, but sheesh! National Titles in basketball AND football should at least garner some attention! Thank goodness for the internet. (btw, jk, do as the natives, right? But for basketball country, I got no love when we took the title. )

Seriously, sports coverage is the best "negative" I could come up with here.

(whispers "Go Gators!")

Old 01-28-2007, 12:06 AM

8 posts, read 30,228 times
so you're saying this would be a large "con" for this Kentucky Basketball freak?

Old 01-28-2007, 12:17 AM

653 posts, read 2,147,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingTheCold View Post
so you're saying this would be a large "con" for this Kentucky Basketball freak?
Well... not a "con", but certainly an adjustment! My mother-in-law clipped out all the articles before and after the BCS championship game and mailed them to us... even with the internet, we felt like we'd been living on Mars for the last year! It's hard to get used to NOT seeing your team logo brandished everywhere you go. Anyway, we're still die-hard, so we've found an active Gator Club that we frequent, and there's always email...

Old 01-28-2007, 12:24 AM

3 posts, read 16,617 times
Talking not all bad

Pros:

1. 2 hours from beach and 3 1/2- 4 from the mountains.
2. people are cool
3. March madness
4. Falls Lake and Lake Jordan
5. close to hwys 40, 85, and 95-- if you like road trips, this is extremely convenient

Cons:

1. I dislike humidity TREMENDOUSLY
2. it drops ice in the winter, not snow
3. Don't really like the public transportation.
4. NC State fans
5. I can't really think of a 5th. I moved away 'cause I grew up there and needed to get out for a while. I'd probably move back there, though.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
Well... not a "con", but certainly an adjustment! My mother-in-law clipped out all the articles before and after the BCS championship game and mailed them to us... even with the internet, we felt like we'd been living on Mars for the last year! It's hard to get used to NOT seeing your team logo brandished everywhere you go. Anyway, we're still die-hard, so we've found an active Gator Club that we frequent, and there's always email...
Well, this year you just might root for Carolina...

Old 01-28-2007, 12:56 PM

97 posts, read 374,938 times
I was just visiting Durham and I found that the area felt very small. More like a large town than a city. It wasn't quite what I expected and took me off guard.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asearchforreason View Post
I was just visiting Durham and I found that the area felt very small. More like a large town than a city. It wasn't quite what I expected and took me off guard.
Everything around here is like a "big small town."
I find that to be one of the joys of the region.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:39 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,986,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asearchforreason View Post
Not too long ago that is just what the cities in this area were....they are growing into major cities, but still have many of the smaller city/large town feel to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary