U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-10-2008, 03:37 AM

526 posts, read 1,254,615 times
Default Where to view Perseids?

Well, I've promised myself that not another year is going to go by without seeing this meteor shower. I've about given up trying to see them anywhere in the Triangle--the light pollution coupled with our usual high humidity and night cloudiness makes it virtually impossible. Heck, one year I actually drove, at 3am mind you, way up into Person County, but the humid fog obscured the sky. Not to mention the persistent orange glow coming from Raleigh/Durham.

Where have people had success in viewing these? I'm willing to drive several hours. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 09:28 AM

9,064 posts, read 18,327,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat1of2 View Post
Well, I've promised myself that not another year is going to go by without seeing this meteor shower. I've about given up trying to see them anywhere in the Triangle--the light pollution coupled with our usual high humidity and night cloudiness makes it virtually impossible. Heck, one year I actually drove, at 3am mind you, way up into Person County, but the humid fog obscured the sky. Not to mention the persistent orange glow coming from Raleigh/Durham.

Where have people had success in viewing these? I'm willing to drive several hours. Seriously.
"Watch the Perseid meteor shower at a special skywatching session on Sunday, Aug. 12, at Jordan Lake, hosted by Morehead Planetarium and Science Center. "

Morehead Planetarium and Science Center :: News

Old 08-10-2008, 09:47 AM

847 posts, read 2,360,805 times
We've been to the Morehead programs out at Jordan Lake. Definitely give that a try before you drive many miles. It is nice & dark, and lots of people--hobbyists and the Morehead folks--bring large telescopes.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:06 PM

2,246 posts, read 5,780,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
"Watch the Perseid meteor shower at a special skywatching session on Sunday, Aug. 12, at Jordan Lake, hosted by Morehead Planetarium and Science Center. "

Morehead Planetarium and Science Center :: News
That link is actually for last year. I searched the Morehead Planetarium site and can't find a link for this year. I wonder why they aren't doing it? In any case, they do regular sky watching sessions at Jordan Lake, so I would try viewing from there even if Morehead Planetarium isn't out there.

There is also a Raleigh Astronomy club that probably has some suggestions: Raleigh Astronomy Club

Old 08-10-2008, 02:26 PM

9,064 posts, read 18,327,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
That link is actually for last year. I searched the Morehead Planetarium site and can't find a link for this year. I wonder why they aren't doing it? In any case, they do regular sky watching sessions at Jordan Lake, so I would try viewing from there even if Morehead Planetarium isn't out there.

There is also a Raleigh Astronomy club that probably has some suggestions: Raleigh Astronomy Club

Thanks! I didn't catch that!

Old 08-10-2008, 02:46 PM

Just came across this link while checking the weather on WRAL. It looks like the best viewing time is between 2 and 5 a.m. this year; maybe that's why they aren't having a viewing event.
Carolina Stars: Catching meteors and shooting stars :: WRAL.com

Old 08-10-2008, 06:41 PM

I've found things hard to find on the Morehead site before, too!

Here's the link to the skywatching calendar:
Morehead Planetarium and Science Center :: Skywatching Sessions

Old 08-10-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
I've found things hard to find on the Morehead site before, too!

Here's the link to the skywatching calendar:
Morehead Planetarium and Science Center :: Skywatching Sessions
That's exactly the thing that shows nothing about the Perseids ! Can you find anything for this year with the Perseids scheduled? It seems weird to me that this year's schedule skips the Perseids completely. The August Skywatching was too early for 'em and the September one will be too late.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:43 PM

Oh, huh. Well, I don't know. Call that guest relations number & do tell!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:52 PM

Ah, here's the other location I was looking for... I've never been, but I heard it was a good place to view the stars, etc. The schedule is outdated, so you'll have to do a little detective work.
Duke Teaching Observatory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary